• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

FlorusJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #79: Return to Mysterious Island

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I will play it for sure today or tomorrow. Thanks for your guidance!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 17 July 2023 05:13 PM

It’s hot like hell.

Why don’t you join us on island?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Because I’ve played the game before and it made no special impression on me.
It has nothing to do with a brilliant book whose name it usurped.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 18 July 2023 04:32 PM

Because I’ve played the game before and it made no special impression on me.

Really? Far from perfect, but loads of fun juggling the inventory objects and the story is good too.

It has nothing to do with a brilliant book whose name it usurped.

You’ll be happy to know I ordered 20,000 leagues under the sea after reading Intense Degree’s recommendation.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 18 July 2023 08:28 PM

loads of fun juggling the inventory objects

All Kheops Studio games had great inventories and excellent inventory puzzles, I’ll give them that.

Karlok - 18 July 2023 08:28 PM

You’ll be happy to know I ordered 20,000 leagues under the sea

Great. I haven’t read the book (after watching 37 movies based on it, I lost interest in the subject).
Maybe it’s time for me to read Mysterious Island again after all those years.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’ll join all this fun in full on Thursday. Just in case - never wait up for me Smile

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve installed and started up the game. No time to begin playing just yet though. Don’t wait up for me either, I’ll catch up.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rtrooney - 17 July 2023 09:58 PM

I collected the egg from the nest but haven’t found a way to get to the nest that’s above it.

I think you lack a certain object that can be used to reach higher places.

I will also give hints near the end of each Act.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Intense Degree - 18 July 2023 04:01 AM

In terms of gameplay I think I remember being put off by all the scrabbling around for food last time. Having said that, now that I was expecting it this time it felt fine and I foraged and pillaged my way through to a full health bar. Just waiting to chop some logs, mine some ore and build myself something now! Wink

Yes, I was also put off by the sheer amount of items you can collect, but it’s really easy once you know you can’t get stuck, and that the game is fair when it comes to puzzles.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 18 July 2023 09:04 AM

I had also forgotten about the variations in inventory combination so am intending to experiment also but I’m not so bothered about achieving a high score (although I do like that idea in some games).

I love scores in games. Though, in this instance, I would love a sort of notification when you get points, how many points/bonus points so you know you got exactly “that much” points for that action. This way, you can forget about the scores and check it again after you’ve already done a lot of things, so you’re not sure where you got points from.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve eaten three eggs. Thanks for the clue Karlok. My inventory currently consists of: Worms, crabs (2), wet seaweed. lichen, rock, ripe coconut, un-ripe coconut (2), metal box, fire/lighter, palm branch, dead porcupine, forked branch, rusty nail.

There seems to be an item I can’t find/overlooked ... a knife or a similarly sharp object. There is a vine hanging from the log scaffolding that needs to be cut, as well as several objects in inventory. Wandering around looking for something useful.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 19 July 2023 03:36 PM

I’ve eaten three eggs. Thanks for the clue Karlok. My inventory currently consists of: Worms, crabs (2), wet seaweed. lichen, rock, ripe coconut, un-ripe coconut (2), metal box, fire/lighter, palm branch, dead porcupine, forked branch, rusty nail.

There seems to be an item I can’t find/overlooked ... a knife or a similarly sharp object. There is a vine hanging from the log scaffolding that needs to be cut, as well as several objects in inventory. Wandering around looking for something useful.

Maybe instead of looking for a knife, you can already make one with the items you have…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ok, I think I have reached the waypoint (if the plateau I need to reach is when I am strong enough to move the logs…)

I find myself enjoying the game pretty much so far. At first, so many items in the first minutes felt a bit overwhelming, but once I was understanding the mechanics of making things from the items collected, it got better.

I understand now what “there are several solutions” meant. I got enough food without fishing (so now I have fresh fish if I need to cook it in the future).

Same goes for the way to make fire. I made it first using some items, but later on I found another items I was able to make fire with (and I guess I can dismantle this second fire and “recover” my initial items).

So now I really feel like keeping on exploring this mysterious island…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m enjoying my return to the mysterious island very much. When I first played it all those years ago I was disappointed that there were no cut scenes, only rather crude black-and-white drawings. But now they don’t bother me at all.

The inventory screen is a pleasure to work with. You can arrange your many objects any way you like. Lots of useful info when you’re holding an object. Click on Auto and voila. Assembling and Dismantling are a piece of cake. I especially love that you can try different combinations of objects at the same time, no need to remove any object from the Assembly Area before trying something else.

I have now replayed the starting area several times to find both the minimum score you need to progress to the next area, and the maximum score. This is madness, I know, and I’m not going to repeat it in the next area. But I will try to achieve as high a score as possible.

I’ll put my scores in spoiler tags, so nobody feels obliged to read stuff they’re not interested in.

You always get 1 point for objects in the environment that you pick up with 1 click. Most of the time you pick up one object at the time, but not always. Like 2 turtle eggs in 1 click = 1 point.
You also get 1 point for combining inventory objects to create a new object, but only the first time. I think there may be exceptions to this “rule” later on. I also remember some special actions that will get you 5 or even 10 points. But not in the starting area.

My minimum score is 20 with 4 inventory objects.
My maximum score is 47 with 23 inventory objects.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 19 July 2023 08:52 AM
rtrooney - 17 July 2023 09:58 PM

I collected the egg from the nest but haven’t found a way to get to the nest that’s above it.

I think you lack a certain object that can be used to reach higher places.

If there is a way to get to that nest I haven’t found it. I don’t think there is, at least not yet.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top