• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #74 - Still Life

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished the chapter. I start to really like the atmosphere of the game. This chapter has one very hard lockpicking puzzle. I managed to do it on my own but it took me more than an hour i think. If you try to do it without guide i suggest reading and understanding very carefuly the lockpicking guide and also write down the interactions of the puzzle. Or do like me and try to bruteforce it for an hour. Also this part of the game felt like there is a lack of direction. I found myself just wandering around the locations to move the story forward. But in the end i enjoyed it a lot.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nico2021 - 15 September 2022 04:07 PM

This chapter has one very hard lockpicking puzzle. I managed to do it on my own but it took me more than an hour i think. If you try to do it without guide i suggest reading and understanding very carefuly the lockpicking guide and also write down the interactions of the puzzle.

There was a fairly difficult lock-picking puzzle in Post Mortem. It seems Microids likes to reuse their puzzles.

I’m going to dive into this chapter over the weekend. It’s a different strategy. Usually I finish the chapter no later than Friday, and end up pacing the floor waiting for the next chapter to begin. If I hold off finishing until closer to the new chapter’s start date, it will drastically lessen the amount of pacing.Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I managed to reach the point where Gus finds out that Ida is pregnant. Good that he wants to do the honorable thing as he has little choice. Although if he lived in early 21st Century US, his choices would have become equally limited. Hope to find time to finish the chapter tomorrow. I know from Nico’s post that the lockpick puzzle lies ahead. Wish me luck on that one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

rtrooney - 17 September 2022 06:54 PM

I managed to reach the point where Gus finds out that Ida is pregnant. Good that he wants to do the honorable thing as he has little choice. Although if he lived in early 21st Century US, his choices would have become equally limited. Hope to find time to finish the chapter tomorrow. I know from Nico’s post that the lockpick puzzle lies ahead. Wish me luck on that one.

Good luck with the puzzle. Thinking about it after i realize its a well designed puzzle. It certainly doesnt feel random like the chest one. You just need to pay attention to details and you probably wont have problems with it.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Glad to hear that. I am afraid I won’t be able to play it until Tuesday night though.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 18 September 2022 03:29 AM

Glad to hear that. I am afraid I won’t be able to play it until Tuesday night though.

Good luck trying to get through it if you wait until Tuesday night. I think I spent close to an hour with little success. I’ve got two more days to finish the puzzle, but am not sure I have enough free time to do it without resorting to a WT. I know I’ve continually mentioned comparisons to casual game puzzles. But one thing they have that irritates me greatly in this puzzle is the lack of a reset button. When you are at the I give up stage, and want to start over, the only option is to totally back out of the scene and start the puzzle from scratch by pulling up inventory outside of Mark’s door. Nico says it’s a well designed puzzle. And it may well be that. But the lack of a restart is a major flaw to me.

Anyway, as I said, I’ve got two more days.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Wow, that was a surprise at the end of the chapter!
I tried to lockpick myself for about half an hour, and then used a walkthrough, unfortunately.

What I liked were the photos you had to compare to the present!

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Nico2021 - 15 September 2022 04:07 PM

Also this part of the game felt like there is a lack of direction. I found myself just wandering around the locations to move the story forward. But in the end i enjoyed it a lot.

Yes, the same here :-)

Total Posts: 5839

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now completed this next chapter.

Am I convinced that I came across Jack the Ripper’s Bedroom?
Perhaps to start with until overhearing a conversation at the end

But to go back

walas74 - 1662701046”] I was shocked when

I read Kolar’s thesis,

Within this latest chapter I was more mindful of Gus physically in the vicinity of the murders suffering from ‘hallucinations’
But it did seem like within those he glimpsed reflections …. of himself???
But on reading the book in the artist’s studio I did wonder about the possibility of a
cult that involved more people?

[quote author=“Nico2021” date=“1663272454”]> Also this part of the game felt like there is a lack of direction. I found myself just wandering around the locations to move the story forward.

Yes, I did find the same a couple of times.

*I don’t know whether it’s just me but there does seem to be a glitch here in the format it should appear in as I couldn’t close Nico’s quote even though I did!

rtrooney - 18 September 2022 10:17 PM

….. But one thing they have that irritates me greatly in this puzzle is the lack of a reset button. When you are at the I give up stage, and want to start over……

Tim, there really is no need for a reset button. Yes, I got bored with it, tried it for about half hour as sylv did & resorted to a walkthrough. But if you get so far with it resetting it is not going to garner you a different order I’m sure!

sylv -

date=“1663571270”] What I liked were the photos you had to compare to the present!

Yes, after getting a little frustrated the first time it was introduced I found it more interesting in this chapter.

@ Admin * I don’t seem to be able to close the quote.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am officially giving up on the game. Lockpick puzzle isn’t working for me. I’ve tried the walkthrough four times and end up stymied in the same position.

The sequence is 14.12.switch.14.switch.7.4.15.switch.4.switch which seems simple enough except access to the 15 pin is blocked.

It was fun up to this point.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5839

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Have another go Tim - trying to follow the walkthrough is almost as frustrating as trying to solve the puzzle without it!  Laughing

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sorry. I’ve been meticulous following the WT steps. I even tried having my wife read the steps to me in case I was missing something. No go. So either there is a typo in the walkthrough, it’s the text version from Gameboomers, or something else is wrong.

It shouldn’t make a difference, but I’ve also tried using both the fork and paddle for the opening moves. It makes no difference. I still end up with the 7 and 14 pins joined, which blocks the way to move pin 15. I’m just baffled as to why I can’t get the WT sequence to work. I can post the entire WT sequence to see if anyone can spot an error.

If somebody can send me a saved game from right after the puzzle was solved, I can try to copy/paste it into the game directory. I really hate not being able to finish the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 409

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I used the walkthrough from UHS to get past it. But Mystery Manor has a saved game after the lock pick puzzle.

https://mysterymanor.net/attic.htm

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m sorry I can’t spoiler this image.

Beats me why this wont work. As for the saved game, I’ve DL’d it. Just have to find the right place to place it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK. The saved game cut/paste worked, and I’m now back playing as Victoria. Thanks Skeeter.

I still can’t see anything I did wrong with the lockpicking puzzle, but I won’t worry about it. I’ll see you all on Wednesday for the new chapter start.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top