• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriellewuz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Say something about the adventure game in the post above.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve never played the City of the Lost Children, but I’ve heard it’s not a great game. The movie, however, is very, very good and made me a fan of Jeneut’s works. Even his worst movies have a bizarre, dreamlike atmosphere about them, which I enjoy quite a bit.

Now, say something about equally bizarre… Manhunter: New York

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

It’s one of the ugliest games (graphically) I’ve ever seen. And terrifying, with a giant eye wandering around following you. Combine that with the fact it’s early Sierra and probably hard and annoying as hell and I have absolutely zero desire to play it.

Say something about

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 850

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I tried to play Dragonsphere once. I really liked the aesthetic and well-written wordy descriptions of everything you can look at, as well as the general setting and that great old fashioned digitized voice acting. Unfortunately, I gave up at the puzzle with the fairies. The picture of the frogs has inspired me to try again, though.

Say something about…

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5840

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played the game a couple of times, I found it quite interesting but haven’t so far fathomed out exactly what went on & what happened in the end. It’s very easy to think that the protagonist was a mass murderer but…
If there’s ever a list of the most mysterious games for me this game would be on it.

Say something about this game:

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Baron_Blubba - 20 August 2022 11:59 AM

I can’t stop looking at this.  It’s such a fantastically terrible piece of cover art; from the messy and unfocused composition to the ridiculously over long tag line.  Of course the real star is that fella’s face.  Is he happy or sad?  Ambivalence perhaps?  Or is it a look of surprise, or maybe anger?  It’s practically impossible to decipher what he’s thinking.  Dude should play poker.

As far as covers go, it’s a masterpiece of sheer incompetence and I now desire to frame that picture and hang it upon my wall.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I have good memories of Elk Moon Murder. Not because it was an especially fantastic game, but it was one of the few games I owned around that time and as such I savoured it like a fine wine. I liked the native American assistant and the desert setting, it was unique and there was some challenge in the detective work that made it interesting. So although my glasses are very much rose-tinted about the game I’d still recommend it to mystery lovers who don’t mind some budget level FMV.

Say something about:

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ah!  I lived in the shade’s world for a long time and learned to love and admire the little guy.  It was such a different game experience than the usual quest with it’s slow pace and time changes.  It’s an experience I’ll never forget.

Say something about:

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 5840

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I know I started to try & play Morpheus many years ago, & I do have a disc version presented on 3 CD Roms but for Win ‘95. I’m not sure whether I came to a halt because the game wouldn’t work or I lost interest at the time which now seem like it would be a shame if that was the case.

I’ve become very familiar with many of the interesting locations via quizzes either browsing screenshots for my own or someone else’s quiz. There’s just so many! Also I loved the glimpses of FMV footage. 

It’s certainly a game I’d would like to have another go at without having to battle Win ‘95 on a modern system!

What do you think about this crazy game? 

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Since I doubt that Forever Worlds sold more than a few thousand copies, I sure hope that the Limited Edition is also the Only Edition.

Say something about…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I remember Heroine’s Quest well. It was excellent, as good a QFG clone as could be made, and I’d be hard pressed to name a better one. Unless I’m wrong it’s freeware, isn’t it? Pretty impressive even if only due to rights issues.

AKA Charo

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Yeah, Heroine’s Quest is freeware. Probably one of the most ‘I can’t believe it’s freeware’ freeware games I’ve ever seen, and I reviewed freeware games for the now defunct Gamehippo.com for many years.

Funny you bring up Return to Zork. That was going to be my next game to ask someone to say something about.

I had the demo for this game many many years ago, during the advent of the Wow! CD-Rom! Soundblaster! era. “Hello? Are you there? I NEED A NEW BATTERY!” will be ingrained in my mind forever. I really enjoyed figuring out how to tie the driftwood together with the vines to make a raft, and I think that’s where the demo ended.
Years later, I found the CD at a yard sale for real cheap (along with the very underrated Time Commando) and played through a lot of it, almost every night, with my mom.
“Want some rye? Course ya do!”
“GO AWAY! I DON’T LIKE YOU!” (A farmer from whom I think you steal a brassiere)
Good stuff. I think we eventually got stuck in one of the mazes—-the swamp that you had to poke with the stick to make sure it was safe to walk. We fumbled through one way, but didn’t map it, so couldn’t get back.

I hope to go back and try to finish this game someday, along with the rest of the later-era Zork games. I’m just afraid I might overheat and suffocate on nostalgic warmth and fuzziness.

Say something about…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2082

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

All late-era Zorks deserve to be played, I’m still surprised how and why they were made: all three are completely different and unrelated games, made by people with no connection to Infocom at all, when the series was already long dead, and yet so much care was put into making all of them, like Activision felt bad about closing Infocom and claimed to make the best use of its franchise.

I always liked Warcraft 1-2 and all early Blizzard games in general (especially The Lost Vikings and Blackthorne that also featured some green Orc-like creatures). But I fell in love with Warcraft Adventures around 1997 when I saw screenshots in a computer mag, along with Curse of Monkey Island. Both games looked simply incredible, I had finished Broken Sword only recently and felt like the most lucky kid, because neither of my friends played adventures and they were missing such beautifully crafted games! Of course, I didn’t know at the time this was the end of the era of high-budget cartoon adventures, LucasArts and Revolution were moving to 3D and Warcraft was doomed.

I still never lost hope, especially after learning there was a copy of the near-finished game somewhere. When a walkthrough was published on YouTube, I didn’t watch it, hoping the guy would release the game soon. He didn’t and kept taunting the fans until someone else decided to make it public) When the whole drama ended, I downloaded the game without any hesitation, because I always thought cancelling a near-finished game and hiding it was a crime, especially for such a huge corporation like Blizzard used to be. They could’ve just released it for free, but they preferred to pretend it never existed.

Either way, I was happy to finally play it in peace. I know people felt disappointed and complained the game didn’t live up to their expectations, but I enjoyed it as a beautiful, atmospheric, funny dark fantasy with plenty of animations and orcs, and it wasn’t even a bad adventure game either despite it was designed by people with no relation to the genre (although I think Steve Meretzky was involved at some point). Somehow everyone expected a masterpiece that would beat LucasArts and Sierra, but it was simply part of franchise developed by the original Blizzard team (and Russian outsources) for fans of the RTS games. I liked it.

Say something about…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 409

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

How nearly finished was the Warcraft game, Doom? It looks good from the screenshots…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

skeeter_93 - 02 September 2022 02:53 AM

How nearly finished was the Warcraft game, Doom? It looks good from the screenshots…

I’m not Doom, but it is believed to be 90-95% complete.

The game can be played and completed.
There are a couple of cutscenes missing, and some audio is not finished, just placeholders.

As can be expected, the game is a bit unstable, and what probably is the biggest issue is that save functions do not work.

But otherwise it is complete, and can be played from the beginning to the end.

The game is obviously available all over the Internet, if you want to give it a try.

Total Posts: 2082

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, the game was fully playable from start to finish and ran fine on modern systems. I don’t recall any saving issues, maybe they were easily avoidable or already fixed by the time I got hold of the game, but I played it in at least several sessions, so it should be savable. The most notable problems were some missing sound effects and a couple of cutscenes, but luckily a dedicated fan had spent the past 6 years fixing all those issues and even updating cutscenes to high resolution and adding the missing ones! The final patch was released just this August. Here’s a PC Gamer article about it (without any abandonware links, of course): The ‘lost’ Warcraft adventure game can now be played the way it was meant to be.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top