• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any horror adventure game suggestions

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It does run on one of my older Macs.  There are one or two glitches with the graphics, but nothing that interferes with the story or puzzles.  The spooky atmosphere is great.  I remember getting into the house and stumbling around in the dark before I managed to turn the lights on.  I could feel the hairs on my neck standing up.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the secret is that it “runs on one of your older Macs.” That probably has to do more with its ability to run older versions of Quick Time than current PCs can.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2011-01-03

PM

I’d like to resurrect this topic as it’s getting close to October and I’m sure there have been some good titles released since 2018 Smile Last year I played The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow and loved it, so any similar point-and-click pixel-based recommendations would be appreciated!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Almost My Floor was a similar experience to Hob’s Barrow in my mind, although it’s more David Lynch rather than Lovecraft/folk horror. There were lots of true Lovecraft-inspired games released in the recent 5 years though — Dreams in the Witch House, Call of Cthulhu, The Sinking City, Chronicle of Innsmouth, etc., etc., haven’t played any of them, so can’t recommend, but they seem to get high scores, so it’s probably a good source to look for a similar experience. I also found The Witch’s House to be somewhat similar (despite it’s a completely different game), which is an old freeware Japanese game remade in 2018, as well as another Japanese adventure I’ve played recently about a little girl left in the woods who has to die many horrible deaths to win — I’m sure I even left a review somewhere on those forums, but I can’t recall the name of the game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I can recommend Goetia, Year Walk, and Tormentum: Dark Sorrow.  All three have their share of creepiness.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Have you played Nightmare Frames yet? It doesn’t have voice acting, but other than that, it’s really good.

Joined 2011-01-03

PM

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I have to say that Nightmare Frames looks particularly good - I shall give it a go!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

A small remark: I just looked up the list of the last year’s freeware games for another thread and remembered the name of that other Japanese horror adventure (which was in fact freeware): Lily’s Well. A bit more oldschool in presentation, but well worth it.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

If youre looking for recent halloween fun: hobbs barrow and paranormasight both are really good fits. And harvester of course is the classic horror adventure that shouldnt be missed.

Joined 2011-01-03

PM

Thanks for those last couple of recommendations. I played (and loved) Hobb’s Barrow last year.

In the meantime I played through I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, which although a classic was a bit of an ordeal to play. Unfortunately I don’t seem to have learned from the experience as I have just managed to get Shadow of the Comet running on my tablet (via Magic Dosbox) which is by all accounts another clunker when it comes to gameplay. It looks great though!

Image Attachments

Screenshot_20231121-154201.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top