• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Still Life 2

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Feel free to finish the game. I will continue to post if I feel I’m making progress. Right now, despite my comments, I just haven’t had time to play much. And my schedule says that any serious playing is unlikely before Wednesday.

Besides the current CPT seems to be drawing to a close. So there’s likely to be another voting session in a week or two.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A side thought on my search for the missing “whatever” that will allow me to get through the charred door.

I don’t know how many of you followed my solo Play of Syberia4. But at one point I was searching for a piece of paper on which I would write an acceptance letter to the owner of the inn. I thought I had found it but the pen in my inventory wouldn’t materialize. It turned out that I hadn’t fully pulled the paper out from underneath the stack of stuff that was on top of it. Someone commented that Adventure Games are always 100%. E.g. in real life you can turn a faucet half a crank and get water to run. In a game you have to turn it all the way to achieve the same result. In my case I had easily pulled the paper out far enough to write a note on it, but that wasn’t enough. I had to fully expose the entire sheet in order for the pen to appear.

I’m felling the same way here. To chose an arbitrary number, there are 63 objects that need to be found, analyzed, commented on and/or sent to Claire for further analysis. The game doesn’t say “You’ve found 61, and that’s good enough to move on to the next chapter.” Instead is says the opposite. Fair? I suppose it is. But only if the game gives you a hint as to what that last item is. This hint system here is way to vague to be of value. Which is why my Irish temper is near the boiling point.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 408

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Some games are so particular… it’s frustrating.

Life has been busy, so I haven’t played lately. I’ll hopefully get back to it this week.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It should be obvious that it’s been a while since I last played S2. Decided to play a bit this afternoon. I walked from the foyer into the living room and the phone rang. It was Claire and she has a name! I go upstairs to tell Garris the news, and he has fixed the lock! We enter the charred room and I now find myself transported back in time to Richard’s studio. I do a little looking around. I find the painting of Gus, an unfinished piece of sculpture and a few other things. Nothing that goes into inventory except a picture of a sketch of the killer. There are two locked file cabinets. But I can’t use my auto key because I have no inventory. And I can’t analyze anything because my kit is still five years in the future.

I still have no idea what specific action I took to trigger the phone call. Whatever it was, apparently I did it. Yea!

So I am ecstatic that I’m back playing the game. but I had to save a game because Thanksgiving dinner, or rather the cooking thereof, starts in about an hour. Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well I managed to add a few things to inventory. Found some more stuff. Took a few photos. To what end I’m not sure, since I can’t (currently) send them to anyone. I finished the conversation with Richard. We may have suspected him, but it’s now very obvious that Vic thinks he is the killer. Not sure that was a smart thing to do. One result that comes from telling a killer that you think he’s a killer is that he kills you to keep you quiet.

I’m now back at the house. Made some poor decisions earlier. Found the transmitter without cord. OK! Where’s the cord? Consult a WT, and find that is on one of the file cabinets in the Laboratory. Go to laboratory. Not there! That means I must have found it earlier and didn’t write it down. (My note-taking skills used to be quite good but their current state can be called haphazard, at best.) There are three know ancillary storage bins. Found the cord in one of them. Hooked it and the speaker up to the PC Garris is working on. Nothing.

Have had several conversations with Hawkins. He agreed to help on one project. The password to the computer in the lab is now cracked. Decided to save, and call it quits for the day.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am (temporarily) done with the computer. This was a case where by exploring, rather than taking what’s given to you, you make things mor difficult than they need to be. Just go through the computer menu in the order it’s presented on screen. While it’s obvious we needed to talk with the sheriff, there was no clue as to where we would find her. I looked at a WT for a “what to do next” hint, and found her in the kitchen, but she could have been in any room. I could have wasted an hour or more searching the basement for her. Makes me a bit angry. Vic could have just walked up the stairs and said to herself “I smell fresh brewed coffee. Where could that be coming from?” and the search would have been over.

I also didn’t like the mechanic of the metal detector. I wrongly thought that since I was getting both video and audio clues as I was walking the back yard, that I would be alerted when I was around something of interest. Wrong. Once alerted, you need to access the detector from inventory to determine whether the alert is positive or negative. Why not just have it out all the time while walking the property.

Anyway, sheriff now appears to be dead, and I’m back in Chicago being confronted by Richard. Seemed as good a place as any to take a break.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I’m glad you got unstuck! Yes, I wasted time looking for the sheriff before looking in a walkthrough. I also had trouble with the metal detector. It’s not intuitive. In fact I feel like the whole game has the same trouble

I am a bit ahead of you, I haven’t played for a while.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

skeeter_93 - 27 November 2022 07:45 PM

I am a bit ahead of you, I haven’t played for a while.

This is not a race to the finish. It doesn’t matter who gets there first. I will be happy finishing three weeks after you do, as long as I finish. Forward!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Yep, not a race… just letting you know whereabouts I am as it makes the conversations easier to follow.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m guessing then that you are playing as Paloma, or shortly thereafter. I have just started playing as Paloma after the Richard cut scene.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Yes, I am just past that when Paloma turns back to Victoria. I’m mostly wandering cluelessly…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m now playing as Vic again. Saved when I exited the bomb shelter. I know I need to get back to the lab. I don’t recall whether death is a current option. Any thoughts on frequency of saved games in this stage. Don’t know whether Killer is still on the property. My guess is no. If he were he would have been monitoring the cells and would surely have known what is going on.

The keypad puzzle was easy once you had a clue to solve it. But it could have gone many different ways. I eventually looked at a WT to nudge me in the right direction.

Edit: Originally it seemed quite simple. Look at any standard telephone and a,b,c = 1, d,e,f = 2, and so on. So Martin would have been 617846. Easy peezy, right? Wrong!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I had the exact same thought with the keypad, so I got stuck on that. I used a walkthrough there. I have been saving a lot because there are a few traps, and after a couple of injuries you die unless you can heal from a medical kit.

I have found this chapter a bit laborious…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for the save suggestion. I think it’s prudent now to save every 15-20 minutes of gameplay. I don’t mind dying, But I do hate replaying an hours worth of game to recover.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Should have save every five minutes. So far I’ve been bombed twice and died once by electrocution at the foyer door to the basement. I need to sit back and make a plan of attack.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top