• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness (open-world island inspired by Myst)

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Mike the Wino - 29 January 2016 02:54 PM

I may have missed something earlier in this thread, but will this not run correctly (or at all) on Vista (Home Premium 64 bit)? I see the minimum requirements are Windows 7, and I’m not real interested in “upgrading” to another OS just to play this game….

I dont see why not assuming you comfortably meet the other requirements. I suspect people have forgotten about vista is all. Id buy it and worst case scenerio you refund it on steam.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Witness had second best rating on metacritic as late as yesterday, best selling game on steam. So we don’t have to worry about sinking it. I can understand the praise, so far six hour into the game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 29 January 2016 03:12 PM

What the hell, Kuru? That was totally uncalled for!
Agustín is just defending the game, telling people to give it a proper chance. Why the outburst?

Whatever you say.

At this point, I think people talking about the Witness annoy even more than the game itself—and that’s saying something. I’ll stay out of this thread.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I really want to play this game, as it looks like exactly my cup of tea, but I can’t recall the last time I spent $40 on a PC game. But I thought I heard they were not going to discount it anytime remotely soon, so it will be a test of my resolve to see if I can wait for a discount…

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Agustín Cordes - 29 January 2016 02:21 PM

No, it’s nothing like that. There’s no “twist” to speak of and I can’t say more. There’s no way you can form a proper opinion of this game until you’ve played it for (at the very least) 10 hours. Is it a lot to ask of players? Maybe. But until you reach that point, you really, really, really have no idea. Trust me. Nothing compares to it. The fact that you’re thinking of The Witness in terms of “adventure game with repetitive puzzles” proves that you’re missing the point.

I get what you’re saying, my “it was all just a dream” was an extreme example, even though I’m aware you might be hinting at a non-story, but a different kind of “twist”. But hey - that doesn’t change the fact that The Witness is an adventure game - with an accent on logic puzzles. I mean, WHATEVER happens, even if the characters start dropping out of the monitor and punch me in the face, it’s still an adventure game and I’m going to critic it just like any other. For what it’s worth, my friend got the game as he was obsessed with The Talos Principle (unlike me), and I’ve spent few hours watching him play - I’m sorry, but saying “Spend 10 hours with it and you’ll love it” can’t work because I don’t wanna force myself with something, I need to feel content and immersed from the first second of the game! I would never, never buy The Witness from the first hour or so from the gameplay I saw, and it’s beyond my interest what happens after it!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

smulan - 29 January 2016 04:14 PM

Witness had second best rating on metacritic as late as yesterday, best selling game on steam. So we don’t have to worry about sinking it. I can understand the praise, so far six hour into the game.

There’s a HUGE discrepancy between the Critic and User rating on Metacritic right now - the critics average it at 90/100 from 7 reviews, and users at 6.6/10 from 109 ratings!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmmmm yeah some of the puzzles are killing it for me. Particularly the invisible dual lines. I got through that area full of them fine enough and never wanted to see another one… now im encountering more and its piling on all the other mechanics with the invisible lines, and im getting a distinct urge to play something else. I just dont like them.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Just to provide another point of view, Agustin’s post has got me intrigued and more eager to play the game. This will no doubt sound pretentious but I think it’s a shame the game industry has got us thinking in terms of ‘mechanics’ and such instead of the game as a whole. We’ve been dulled into thinking that because a game’s first hour plays a certain way, the whole game will be the same experience. And I don’t blame us for thinking that, when games have been doing that forever with few genuine surprises. Berating someone for judging movies and books before finishing them is usually justified, but games can invariably be judged fairly after a few hours. If something can come along and challenge that, I’m all for it.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I haven’t bought it yet (no time to play it anyway) but Augustin’s criticism is more or less what I’d expect from the game, having played Braid.

The last puzzle game I thought was overpriced at $40 was The Talos Principle. It was totally worth it.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Agustín Cordes - 29 January 2016 01:47 PM

What I can tell you after 20+ hours of introspective gameplay without previous knowledge or any sort of hints, is that The Witness is categorically a stroke of genius. If you quit this game and dismiss it as a simple puzzler, you have no idea what you’re missing. If I had to describe this game in one word, I would say it’s a conversation. You need to hear what it’s telling you. It might well be the most rewarding game ever — and I’m still halfway through it.

Those of you wondering if things do change: there’s at least one revelation that will completely change the way you think about The Witness. I really hope it gets better reviewed when players invest more time into it.

Thank you—this is actually exactly the glowing review I was hoping for to summon the motivation to keep going. I concur with diego on the point that it is hard to do so just by playing the game for a couple of hours, but it’s good to hear that The Witness has more to offer beyond “solve another puzzle to unlock another pretty thing to look at”.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

kuze - 30 January 2016 06:12 AM

it’s good to hear that The Witness has more to offer beyond “solve another puzzle to unlock another pretty thing to look at”.

The definition of most Myst clones and adventures in general.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Lucien21 - 30 January 2016 07:45 AM
kuze - 30 January 2016 06:12 AM

it’s good to hear that The Witness has more to offer beyond “solve another puzzle to unlock another pretty thing to look at”.

The definition of most Myst clones and adventures in general.

Just from recent memory, I absolutely adored Tales from Borderlands, The Walking Dead, and especially Life is Strange—all adventures, and it was neither the puzzles nor the pretty things that kept me going.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Hey guys, I’m struggling to get this game to play on anything higher than the lowest graphic/user default setting. On medium graphics the frame rate is incredibly slow almost a slide show, and on high setting it is a slide show. My laptop spec is i5 2410M 2.3Ghz, and there’s switchable graphics between Intel 3000 and AMD HD 6630M. OS is Win 7 Pro 64. I’m using the AMD dedicated card. I don’t have any problem playing Amnesia for example, and the graphics in Witness are more basic looking.  Anyone else here having problems with running it?

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 7456

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m reading a novel about a huge maze: 675 pages, not counting the 40-page index.
I’m playing a game with 670 maze puzzles.
And I hate mazes! I must be stark raving mad. If I’m not, the book and the game will take care of that.

PS: So far I have solved 36 45 puzzles, but I’m afraid they’re already getting too difficult for me.  Cry

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Hmm, i expect to finish it at least in 4 months.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top