• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #69: The Dig

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 14 December 2021 05:11 PM

I reached “nexus”. It looks like i was close from the time i stopped.

Nothing hard so far concerning puzzles but from what i read it gets really hard later in the game. Enjoyed this part but waiting to see more to get a feeling for the game. I do like the acting of the characters and the dialogues that seem to be well written.

While I found the story to be very well written some of the minute-to-minute dialogue, I dont find to be very well written or acted for that matter.  I think Brink comes across as too over the top even before the “change”. He screams Bond villain to me lol. Plus some of the humorous lines they try to give to Boston are not executed very well by Robert Patrick to me, although as a whole I like his performance.

Also just a warning to all the new players you do need to talk to the other characters a lot via the communication device or you’ll miss a large part of the story. from here on out, it can almost be played like a Mist game with very little story actually be given out if you dont seek it out. even though you should bc it’s very well written.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 December 2021 06:10 PM
Nico2021 - 14 December 2021 05:11 PM

I reached “nexus”. It looks like i was close from the time i stopped.

Nothing hard so far concerning puzzles but from what i read it gets really hard later in the game. Enjoyed this part but waiting to see more to get a feeling for the game. I do like the acting of the characters and the dialogues that seem to be well written.

While I found the story to be very well written some of the minute-to-minute dialogue, I dont find to be very well written or acted for that matter.  I think Brink comes across as too over the top even before the “change”. He screams Bond villain to me lol. Plus some of the humorous lines they try to give to Boston are not executed very well by Robert Patrick to me, although as a whole I like his performance.

Also just a warning to all the new players you do need to talk to the other characters a lot via the communication device or you’ll miss a large part of the story. from here on out, it can almost be played like a Mist game with very little story actually be given out if you dont seek it out. even though you should bc it’s very well written.

Great story so far, it’s drawing me in and I’m starting to really look forward to what happens next. I can readily see why this game made the top 100 list, it’s very good. Kinda reminds me of Flight of the Amazon Queen that was also released in 1995 I also loved despite the out of date graphics.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 December 2021 06:10 PM

Good advice. I have played this game at some point in time, but I think I missed out on a lot of the background and story.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I played to the stopping point now.

I have played the game once when it was pretty new. I was just a kid back then and it was way too hard for me, and I don’t think my grasp of English was good enough either. So my memories are rather vague and I never considered the game a favourite of my unlike many other Lucas Arts games from the golden era. (I played it through but I used the walkthru a lot - probably most of the time.)

But. Since I do like sci-fi, and this kind of “serious sci-fi” is pretty rare, I have always thought I might really like the game if I played it now that I have the proper understanding. And the game looks and sounds very good even today. There’s tons of dialogue too, the effort put into the game is obvious. I like that there’s so much crew member banter, but I don’t especially love what they’re saying, as it’s very cliché and American.

The story is definitely interesting. Honestly I was already stuck for a moment on the asteroid, I really thought I was supposed to do something with the first shaft instead of bothering the other ones. Like, why would I immediately go and possibly destroy these artifacts?  Crazy

What seemed weird was how fast the crew members started falling out of rank - which was pretty much immediately. They were supposed to be the best and the brightest? I guess group work skills weren’t required. Though I do kind of understand Maggie getting pissy, as I probably exhausted all the conversation options and Boston really just went overboard with all the reporter digs. Still, not enough to go wander alone in an alien planet, imo.

Also, why didn’t they use the rope to secure the digger? They knew the ground was loose and there was a risk. Sheesh.

But big personalities aside, I think it is a very interesting start in a very well made game. How did someone on earth know about this?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 15 December 2021 07:48 PM

I played to the stopping point now.

I have played the game once when it was pretty new. I was just a kid back then and it was way too hard for me, and I don’t think my grasp of English was good enough either. So my memories are rather vague and I never considered the game a favourite of my unlike many other Lucas Arts games from the golden era. (I played it through but I used the walkthru a lot - probably most of the time.)

But. Since I do like sci-fi, and this kind of “serious sci-fi” is pretty rare, I have always thought I might really like the game if I played it now that I have the proper understanding. And the game looks and sounds very good even today. There’s tons of dialogue too, the effort put into the game is obvious. I like that there’s so much crew member banter, but I don’t especially love what they’re saying, as it’s very cliché and American.

The story is definitely interesting. Honestly I was already stuck for a moment on the asteroid, I really thought I was supposed to do something with the first shaft instead of bothering the other ones. Like, why would I immediately go and possibly destroy these artifacts?  Crazy

What seemed weird was how fast the crew members started falling out of rank - which was pretty much immediately. They were supposed to be the best and the brightest? I guess group work skills weren’t required. Though I do kind of understand Maggie getting pissy, as I probably exhausted all the conversation options and Boston really just went overboard with all the reporter digs. Still, not enough to go wander alone in an alien planet, imo.

Also, why didn’t they use the rope to secure the digger? They knew the ground was loose and there was a risk. Sheesh.

But big personalities aside, I think it is a very interesting start in a very well made game. How did someone on earth know about this?

I agree with you about the group wanting to all go Rogue as soon as they get to the planet, but at the same time I love the fact that Boston is alone most of the time. it really adds to the ambience of the story, so while I don’t like the way they broke them up so fast, I’m glad that they did it. If that makes sense.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I think the idea of the crew falling out almost immediately is pretty clever.

The mission is sudden and urgent. The team is assembled in a hurry and with very specific prerequisites.

This is not a (para)-military group, they have no common experience that bonds them, no ingrained sense of hierarchy and discipline. Even Low, the one (former) service member and authority figure, has come out of retirement and is a survival expert, rather than a strict disciplinarian. He might be leader, but he’s just one of the team members, with one of the necessary skills.

Most of the other team members also have ulterior motives from the get go. Maggie Robbins is established as notoriously self driven. Cora Miles, besides being a NASA technician, is a political candidate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yes, I do agree with both of you, really. It’s not the end result that bothers me, it just felt a bit weird how it happened. And their ambitions are very conflicted, so again we can kind of see it coming. Aaaand who knows what ulterior motives all the team members themselves - or the people who chose them - had.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

You’re also right about their course of action being pretty YOLO. Smile

Is everyone hanging around the Nexus at this point?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 16 December 2021 12:49 PM

You’re also right about their course of action being pretty YOLO. Smile

Is everyone hanging around the Nexus at this point?

I Actually went a little ahead cuz I like the next couple of puzzles LOL

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 16 December 2021 05:56 AM

Yes, I do agree with both of you, really. It’s not the end result that bothers me, it just felt a bit weird how it happened. And their ambitions are very conflicted, so again we can kind of see it coming. Aaaand who knows what ulterior motives all the team members themselves - or the people who chose them - had.

Leading PHD scientists is like herding cats, good luck with that. This game does an excellent job of showing how difficult that is. Bravo.

If this game was released in 1992, it would be in the top 10 adventure games of all time, for sure.

What’s interesting is that the game is 92 on top 100 list and it only got three stars in its review on this site. Interesting……

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

How do we like the characters?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 16 December 2021 07:13 PM

How do we like the characters?

I like Boston, Brink is a low-rent bond villain LOL and Maggie is just okay. that is my only real problem with the game as a whole, the characters and dialogue could be better, not the actual story because I think that’s great.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i ‘ve played more than 20 years ago, i never played again, it always left me feeling different from all the Lucasarts games, the little directions it gave toward any puzzle and the number of integrated puzzles could leave someone very busy or sometimes very puzzled; were to start.

i ‘ve played the first portion, little i do remember, but i liked how it prepares you for what is coming

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Advie - 17 December 2021 12:08 PM

i ‘ve played more than 20 years ago, i never played again, it always left me feeling different from all the Lucasarts games, the little directions it gave toward any puzzle and the number of integrated puzzles could leave someone very busy or sometimes very puzzled; were to start.

i ‘ve played the first portion, little i do remember, but i liked how it prepares you for what is coming

I also played it many years ago, I liked it, it wasn’t my favorite or anything, but I thought it was good. Today, I’m enjoying it more than the first time, because it reminds me so much of Indy and Atlantis, an all time favorite on the Amiga 500 I had at the time. This game would be perfect on IOS.

I think I’m going to be completely honest, this is LucasArts’ best adventure game (Yes, even better than “Fate of Atlantis”). I think in terms of the game world, it is incredibly unique and the overall mystery behind the alien civilization is hidden well and their history is well developed as the story continues. The characters are a little one-dimensional, but Brink’s descent into madness is well handled. The gameplay interface was easy to handle and learn as well. I liked the puzzles, even if a few could be quite obtuse, with the alien turtle puzzle being my favorite puzzle in any video game. The graphics were good for the time and are still appealing today, and I like the cutscenes. The music is kind of forgettable, but it does add to mood in terms of tone. Overall, this is a must play for adventure game fans, and is criminally underrated in my eyes.

Heart

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Smile

I like the characters, they are indeed very much like the types you’d find in a sci-fi movie of the time. Looking forward to Boston coming unglued and going full Bond villian!*

*edit: I meant Brink, of course.  Shifty Eyed

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top