• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Finished Viewfinder yesterday. In terms of puzzles, it was excellent and probably the best “pure” puzzle game I’ve played since The Witness (which is only a handful, admittedly). The story, not so much - I didn’t much care for it or the characters. Thankfully that didn’t matter because the puzzles carried my interest up until the end. It’s not a super long game but for me it would have overstayed its welcome if it were any longer - the puzzles do enough to introduce an idea, take it to its limits in terms of challenge, then move on to the next idea. So if you’re someone who loves ideas and what 3D engines can do to explore them, I recommend Viewfinder.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2023-11-15

PM

@Charophycean
As someone who also loves ideas, I will definitely try out Viewfinder next

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

Most recently,
Observer (excellent) with Rutger Hauer
and,
Woodspell (short and sweet hand-drawn animation)

Live your wildest dreams;
Take a leap, or climb, run or fly.
You may fall;
But anything is better than falling .. standing still.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2023-11-15

PM

@Gabriel
Was R. Hauer’s VO a positive? He sounded one tone with most lines phoned in, but I didn’t find many reviewers pointing this out because they seemed startruck. His inclusion in the project was taken as an automatic positive.

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

I read something similar but, in all honesty, I’m not a Rutger Hauer fanatic and I always think he sounds somewhat monotone. I can understand others disliking it though. For me, it worked fine and I found the game suspenseful and his voice over didn’t detract from my enjoyment.

You may fall;

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

That’s a good point Agent Parser, most were indeed star-struck and, unlike Gabriel’s experience, Rutger’s delivery did detract from the overall experience for me. This site was one of the rare few that brought it up as one of its bads. Although I can’t say I agree with much of the rest, e.g., I found that its dream sequences couldn’t have been more by the numbers if they tried to. Blooper Team always checks the wonky daymare box.

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

I thought the stealth scenes were excellent. Weeeeird and excellent. 😁👏 I guess it’s subjective.

You may fall;

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

For those that don’t mind genre mixing - a point’n'click survival horror Vlad Circus Descend Into Madness from the developers of underrated Nine Witches: Family Disruption.

It’s very niche, obviously, but it has a unique story, wonderful atmosphere and solid horror element going (with a story mode where survival is “light”, but still there). Bit too heavy on back-and-forth (because of limited inventory) and a tad too dark visually but with an undeniable charm and, dare I say, some rather unexpected drama, so I had fun playing this outlier.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2011-01-03

PM

Last night I finished Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet.

It has taken me about a month of occasional playing to make my way through this Lovecraft-inspired oldie from Infogrames. I have to say overall it was a fairly painful experience at times due to the combination of the sluggish and dated user interface, and the rather far fetched puzzle solutions, but hey - that’s what these games were like in the early 90s!

You play as Mr Parker, a journalist and photographer on the case of a rare comet flypast in the wierd old seaside village of Illsmouth. There are tales of disturbances in the area and the rather supersilious Parker is very happy to stick his nose in every corner to find out what’s going down.

The story is often cited as being the main reason to play this game, and in the places where it comes together it’s great, but for me the puzzle difficulty impeded the flow of the story to the extent that I often didn’t see the logic behind the character’s motives. Also, the large cast of extra characters were for the most part not particularly well defined and just added to the overall confusion. I ended up following a walkthrough for the last half just to get the game completed to say I have played it.

In its favour, I would make mention of the superbly overdone voice acting, and the background graphics which were on the whole very atmospheric - especially the many old and imposing buildings. And yes, it’s got that perfect golden age atmosphere, helped a lot by the wonky adlib music, but I can’t honestly see myself rushing to replay this one now I’m finished.

Let’s give it 2.5 stars. Impressive in places but I’m glad it’s over.

(thanks to member Doom who suggested I try this one!)

Image Attachments

Call-of-Cthulhu-Shadow-of-the-Comet-gog.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 846

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Recently completed the first three parts—the only parts currently available—of the Telwynium saga. The Telwynium is a series of pay-what-you-want/free adventure games from Powerhoof Studios featuring beautiful EGA artwork, reminiscent of the very best from back in the day (Quest for Glory, The Colonel’s Bequest, Monkey Island). Fans of this graphical style will be delighted and perhaps even stunned by a few of the grand retro renderings spread throughout the games.
The story is comfortable but imaginative fantasy fare, very much in the vein of Wheel of Time or a lot of other post-Tolkien high-fantasy. But for a few minor typos the script is well written and the various characterizations are distinct.
Despite looking like a text parser game, the interface is a three-icon point and clicker: Look, interact (take, talk, push, open, etc), and walk. All puzzles are inventory based and fairly simple, but there are just enough aha! moments to make players feel clever and like they are actually playing a game rather than experiencing an interactive story book.
Music is good enough that my girlfriend complimented it as she walked by, which is saying a lot since she usually tunes out whatever sounds are emanating from the computer.

Overall, Telwynium is a series worth playing, and even worth paying for. If you do download the games, please leave a tip in order to perhaps motivate the folks at Powerhoof to finish the series. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 846

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

After finishing Telwynium (what there is of it so far, see post above) I went on to play Sumatra: Fate of Yandi.

This is an interesting game. The setting (an Indonesian jungle) was fresh and the ecological theme was gracefully expressed yet still impactful. Despite being a short game at only 3-4 hours, the designers pulled a couple of clever tricks to help us define and become invested in the small cast of characters—and to really come to dislike the villains!
Although the setting is unique and delivers a strong atmosphere of jungle swampiness, mystery, ever-present danger, and humidity, the background graphics are only so-so. Many screens look almost identical, which might be realistic but is also uninteresting to the player as they walk back and forth to complete small fetch quests and solve mostly simple inventory puzzles. By contrast, there are several short but graphically impressive rotoscope-esque cut-scenes scattered throughout the game, usually to introduce us to a formidable specimen of jungle wildlife.
Although I would point to certain sections of Sumatra as object lessons in layered flowing puzzle design—always finding a piece of the solution to the next puzzle as you are solving a different one, and at the same time noticing a new obstacle that will eventually have to be overcome—the fact is that none of these puzzles are difficult, and so often feel like busy work. Only once or twice did I actually feel like I was ‘solving’ something, and those instances were just generic code breaking puzzles.
Still, despite its obvious imperfections, the narrative is strong enough and the setting and characters are interesting enough that Sumatra: Fate of Yandi is well worth the few dollars and hours it will take any player to see the adventure through to completion. I’m looking forward to trying some other games from Cloak & Dagger.

Next game up: Blade Runner (original version).

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 17 December 2023 03:47 PM

Recently completed the first three parts—the only parts currently available—of the Telwynium saga. The Telwynium is a series of pay-what-you-want/free adventure games from Powerhoof Studios featuring beautiful EGA artwork, reminiscent of the very best from back in the day (Quest for Glory, The Colonel’s Bequest, Monkey Island).

A new entry in the Telwynium saga?! More wonderful news! Played the first two parts during the freeware marathon earlier this year and loved them. I have a soft spot for the late text adventures from Sierra and Conquests of Camelot in particular which served as the main inspiration for those games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Just finished the main game of: the case of the golden idol. It came to my attention largely because of the support it seems to get here. And… Its a really cool game. It did a uniquely good job of unfolding mystery organically and puting me in the pilot seat to how i want to break it down. Havent made a decision on jumping into dlc, but im guessing i probably should.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Finished Azazel’s Christmas Fable on Sunday

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-12-18

PM

Finished Abscission, a really solid dark mystery game. I tend to only like dark, serious adventure games so I could tell I was going to enjoy it from the first 5 minutes. It feels similar to Hobb’s Barrow.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top