• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: Home → Forum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigarJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Erasure of Women

Total Posts: 2081

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Funny, I saw it among non-political lists of movies. I also don’t see how feminists or some African tribes are related, but then I’m not into the US politics and can’t tell who is obsessed with what, American conservatism seems to be different from the rest of the world, same as democracy, or football) But asking this simple question feels just right at the time when such simple words as “woman”, “mother”, “wife” are questioned, called controversial or even provocative. If cancelling such universal human values is what makes trans people or those who speak on their behalf feel better, if they are such egocentric groups, then I’d rather not make them feel better 🤷

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think it is a gray area Doom, and in this era the more you oppose people the more they tend to go south of stubbornness, that is why people need to engage in their own problems before they go on and try to fix them others, i guess.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Doom - 19 July 2022 02:52 PM

Funny, I saw it among non-political lists of movies.

I was just mentioning it was made by a conservative not to criticize the movie in any way, but just to give context to how most likely it’s going to be discussed. Just like if it was a Michael Moore movie, it would have a very progressive slant to it.

Doom - 19 July 2022 02:52 PM

American conservatism seems to be different from the rest of the world, same as democracy, or football).

How is American conservatism and democracy different than the rest of the world? And we do have your version of football in America. We just call it soccer. Tongue

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Advie - 19 July 2022 08:45 AM

here is my one cent (can’t afford two)

people are entitled to do what makes them feel better about themselves, and others should not hate what they do not understand nor they oughta fight their fight either.
if it’s good for them, then that is good, if it oughta harm them, they will learn from it; life isn’t about one decision it is a day-by-day struggle, even an hour by hour..

I totally agree with you Advie and in the western world as far as I know, including the US where I live, you have all the rights as a trans or LGBTQ person as any other person. The last hurdle was gay marriage here in the US, and it became legal in 2015. But the discussion unfortunately is not as black and white as just that, because with the Trans of the LGBTQ specifically, there are implications that go beyond just their lives, and it can hurt other people.

Let’s take sports as an example. I already mentioned Lia Thomas who was a male swimmer a few years back, and then started transitioning to a woman. She was allowed to compete in NCAA swimming, and she dominated the other women competing. I have seen mothers of the female swimmers as well as some of the swimmers themselves complaining about the unfairness of the situation. So in this case, by partaking in women sports, they are harming biological women because they have a significant physical advantage. Not to mention, some women do not feel comfortable having a trans woman with them in their locker room(for obvious reasons).

Another aspect of it is health. Some parents and teachers(in the name of progress) are encouraging very young people(sometimes younger than 10) to undergo life altering procedures that can have severe health problems to them down the line. And let’s be honest. When we were younger than 10, did we really know everything? Didn’t a lot of us experience changes as we went through puberty? Isn’t it too young to make such life altering decisions? What’s even scarier, is that some depressed young kids (girls specifically) are being peer pressured or encouraged in groups on apps like Tik Tok to transition because it is now the hip thing to do. I have read articles about a few of them who detransitioned when they got a little older, warning young girls not to rush into it, especially when they are feeling sad and vulnerable. Problem is, sometimes they can alter their body in ways that are irreversible.

Then there is the problem of some of the wording being used that Karlok alluded too. In the name of inclusion, women are being called demeaning thing like “birthing person” or “menstruating person”. In this case again, it is hurting a big portion of women who find the labels degrading.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i hear ya SoccerDude, tho i cant really give an honest opinion about this trans/women issue but to express how i feel about it from a general perspective and how i would feel when/if it becomes my problem.

the only thing i honestly need to address is women’s support for the issue needs to be given in the intention of helping one another, no matter what the gender is (male or female), that would be really amazing, sometimes motives are ‘strange’ to begin with.

nice to see you back again, man.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

SoccerDude - 19 July 2022 07:20 PM

How is American conservatism and democracy different than the rest of the world? And we do have your version of football in America. We just call it soccer. Tongue

American conservatism is different from conservatism in the UK in some pretty significant ways. For instance, the vast majority of conservatives here are likely to be be in favour of the NHS (“free” healthcare) and against guns. To be fair the same is true of basically all of us here regardless of politics, so in a way there are no conservatives here in US terms!

There is also not really a “religious right” in the UK, or in Europe generally I think. At least not in the way that the US has it.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7452

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

As the OP I repeat that this is NOT about a tiny percentage of the population wanting to live their life as the opposite sex. It’s about the undeniable fact that biological sex is being replaced by gender in institutions, companies, law, politics, social media.

Erasing women’s language is erasing women’s rights.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Karlok - 20 July 2022 08:23 PM

As the OP I repeat that this is NOT about a tiny percentage of the population wanting to live their life as the opposite sex. It’s about the undeniable fact that biological sex is being replaced by gender in institutions, companies, law, politics, social media.

Erasing women’s language is erasing women’s rights.

You have just summed it up quite well, I share your position, I couldn’t have said it better.

In Argentina conservatism changed several decades ago so it differs from the conservatism of the Us for example, today no political party from almost any source would be in favor of guns for example or against public health and education. These are concepts that are fortunately not discussed.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

That’s a nice way to tell yourselves you’re good people.

You’ve dragged in the whole bathroom“debate”, suggesting trans-women are going to assault cis-women, you’ve named and praised people who have gotten into all sorts of crap because they contribute to hate campaigns. You’ve repeated talking points and dog whistles from transphobic sources. Several people in this thread have crossed several boundaries.

It had a severe impact on me. It will probably tell people discovering this site and browsing the forum that they have to deal with crap like this.

You “won”. Is this your victory dance?

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

VGP - 21 July 2022 03:53 PM

You’ve dragged in the whole bathroom“debate”, suggesting trans-women are going to assault cis-women, you’ve named and praised people who have gotten into all sorts of crap because they contribute to hate campaigns. You’ve repeated talking points and dog whistles from transphobic sources. Several people in this thread have crossed several boundaries.

It had a severe impact on me. It will probably tell people discovering this site and browsing the forum that they have to deal with crap like this.

Dear VGP, you’ve been doing a great job elsewhere on the forum Thumbs Up

I don’t understand what your grievances are here? I don’t see any evidence whatsoever in previous posts to support any of your accusations. Please elaborate as I don’t understand what you’re saying? Also what severe impact? Please explain as I’m sure I’m as baffled as many members here at your post that doesn’t seem to connect?
    Heart

Total Posts: 2081

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 19 July 2022 05:59 PM

i think it is a gray area Doom, and in this era the more you oppose people the more they tend to go south of stubbornness, that is why people need to engage in their own problems before they go on and try to fix them others, i guess.

Yes, true, it’s all about everyone telling everyone how to live nowadays. BTW

The Wiki article on conservatism mentions American exceptionalism, I think that’s one issue. There’s no concept of national independent states unlike in Europe/Asia, it’s a believe that the country created the best, universal society and, like a messiah, must bring those ideas to every other place on Earth. Racial and religious issues prevail and some issues mentioned in that article are hardly issues outside of the USA.

Vegetable Party is now VGP??

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Doom - 21 July 2022 08:57 PM

The Wiki article on conservatism mentions American exceptionalism, I think that’s one issue. There’s no concept of national independent states unlike in Europe/Asia, it’s a believe that the country created the best, universal society and, like a messiah, must bring those ideas to every other place on Earth. Racial and religious issues prevail and some issues mentioned in that article are hardly issues outside of the USA.

I guess American exceptionalism is not just a conservative construct but an American construct, and it does originate from the fact that America is a super power.  If you look at history, it is a prevalent sentiment in most super powers. When the Romans ruled the world, they built temples and baths all throughout the Mediterranean because they thought their culture was superior. The Soviet Union went one step further than America and occupied eastern Europe. But this sentiment of nationalism is dying. A new study showed that 75% of Americans think the country is going in the wrong direction. From my perspective, I do worry about the alternative if USA steps down. Anyway, I don’t want to go too deep down this rabbit hole because I don’t want to hijack Karlok’s thread. If you are interested, we can open another thread to discuss.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

VGP - 21 July 2022 03:53 PM

Is that how you see this? About “good” people and “bad” people? It looks like you might think that people posting in this thread aren’t “good” people. I don’t think you really think that, but that’s how that reads to me.

Who? What? Where?

Who has suggested that trans-women are going to assault “cis-women” any more than “cis men” assault “cis-women”. A disgusting minority of both are going to. Who contributes to hate campaigns? If these “dog whistles” are only audible to transphobes how come you’re the only one hearing them in here? What boundaries have who crossed?

Yes the impact on you is apparent from the tone of your posts. I’m honestly sorry for you, but I don’t agree with you that this is “crap” or that you have had to “deal” with anything. You have chosen to come into this thread and thrown accusations around without offering any evidence of actual transphobia or hate speech:

...You may have a bit of an argumentative streak, but you don’t strike me as someone who is hateful or wants to be part of a moral panic movement, or spread harmful misinformation. I’m not the type of person who wants to tell you that this is what you’re doing, but I feel I have to, ...

I tried to engage with you out of respect, but you seem very invested in trans exclusionary rhetoric and getting some sort of diatribe going.

VGP - 18 July 2022 03:31 AM

This isn’t a forum for casual transphobia.

VGP - 18 July 2022 03:59 AM

If you want to continue to engage in some online combat against a minority group you barely understand, do it on one of the many toxic pools of misplaced frustration available to you on the internet. It’s not welcome here.

Mate, read that back. Who is in online combat against who? Does that seem a proportionate and measured response to what was said to you?

What are you talking about? Who “won” what? Are you referring to the way that people have mostly politely disagreed with you in the face of accusations against them?

Dude, I’ve enjoyed, and hope to continue to enjoy, your presence and posts on these forums but can you not see that to an outside observer the hate filled one in here looks like you? I’m sure that isn’t really true, for what it’s worth you generally seem like a nice guy to me. But can you honestly say that the way you have posted in here helps trans people in any way, or respects those around you with different viewpoints?

And to be clear, by different viewpoints I do not mean that everyone else hates trans people and wants them all to die. I would be incredibly surprised if anyone here didn’t want trans people to have rights (and I would disagree with them if they did), but they should not “trump” women’s rights and clearly there is a balance to be found about which there will be disagreements. And that is perfectly OK.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am sure VGP was just having a hard day, dont we all. there is even something beautiful about speaking your mind up even if your badge says else

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I really don’t want to start debating about this, but honestly. Both the bathroom and women’s sports “issues” have already been brought up on this thread, and those stances are very much against trans people. Actually studies and statistics have proven that these are not real threats to cis women while trans people face incredible amount of threats every day.

Being afraid of something one doesn’t understand is understandable, but every time there seems to be “erasure of women”, the truth turns out to be something much milder and understandable than the original headlines. So far I see no evidence of erasure, only moral panic.

People casually debating ones existence and rights is tiring and scary, and even when they are politely told to think about how this might come across, they are only saying “there’s nothing wrong with what I am saying”. This implies that they are not listening. This thread indeed has a lot of casual transphobia. The whole term means it’s not necessarily intentional and obviously not the same as actual physical assaults.

I have no idea why this kind of thread has been made in this forum. It will certainly repel trans people. Good job. I myself am very sad that these kinds of dicussions are springing up in this site I thought to be a friendly place once.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: Home → Forum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top