• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Retro review: secret files tunguska

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, that was Still Life alright, and the cookie puzzle also frustrated me. But it was still a more sophisticated game than Post Mortem imho. And Black Mirror had a bunch of other design problems, like new hot spots added to already explored locations after the game decides the time has come, as if pixel hunting alone wasn’t annoying enough.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Baking a cake was Still Life. I played it when it came out for the original Xbox. It didn’t strike me as odd at the time, to bake a cake while solving a murder. Maybe I’ve been inoculated to nonsense in adventure games. Or maybe sometimes detective who are solving murders really do take a break to bake birthday cakes. Or maybe I just wasn’t paying close critical attention. Either way, I really enjoyed the game, and the oddity of the cake baking was only brought to my attention when I first saw it mentioned on these forums.

Regarding Secret Files, I’ve never played them. Been tempted several times because they are A) available on Nintendo DS (at least, a couple of them are), B ) are often quite cheap, and C) are sometimes spoken well of by some of the AG regulars. However, they are almost uniformly critically panned, and for every positive anecdotal they receive, they also receive a few harsh ones.
My free time is too valuable—I need to save it for making posts about why I’m not playing games instead of actually playing games—, so I doubt I’ll ever bother.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

They’re kind of like the Chronicles of Mystery games, right?

I like the B-movie association. They might have their limitations, but they do know how to sell you an adventure.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

mbday630 - 28 April 2022 10:55 AM

I really like this game. I guess different strokes for different folks.  I had no problem with the voices or really anything with the game. I have probably replayed it 5 times already.  I think it is a really good game.

I’m with you as I really liked the story Smile

Total Posts: 1683

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 28 April 2022 05:02 PM

Baking a cake was Still Life. I played it when it came out for the original Xbox. It didn’t strike me as odd at the time, to bake a cake while solving a murder. Maybe I’ve been inoculated to nonsense in adventure games. Or maybe sometimes detective who are solving murders really do take a break to bake birthday cakes. Or maybe I just wasn’t paying close critical attention. Either way, I really enjoyed the game, and the oddity of the cake baking was only brought to my attention when I first saw it mentioned on these forums.

Regarding Secret Files, I’ve never played them. Been tempted several times because they are A) available on Nintendo DS (at least, a couple of them are), B ) are often quite cheap, and C) are sometimes spoken well of by some of the AG regulars. However, they are almost uniformly critically panned, and for every positive anecdotal they receive, they also receive a few harsh ones.
My free time is too valuable—I need to save it for making posts about why I’m not playing games instead of actually playing games—, so I doubt I’ll ever bother.

I found the cake puzzle so ridiculous and such a Time waster I just stopped the game altogether never picked it up again. It would be like in Broken Sword after the clown blows up the cafe George takes a break immediately to play shuffleboard makes no sense to me. And yes I know in real life detectives have lives outside of their job but when you’re intrigued by a game and it does that, it just pulls you right out the experience,  at least it does to me.

You’re not missing much but I am enjoying the game in the sense that it is so bad that it’s comical, kind of like how you actually got a kick out of a new beginnings in a strange way. Once again though I will say I enjoy the art and the cutscenes honestly. But the characters and gameplay around it are pretty terrible.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 April 2022 06:00 PM

But the characters and gameplay around it are pretty terrible.

Content you have no idea what are you talking about… right!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 28 April 2022 06:11 PM
Jdawg445 - 28 April 2022 06:00 PM

But the characters and gameplay around it are pretty terrible.

Content you have no idea what are you talking about… right!

Oh i do, you just like terrible ideas and concepts which is cool. I just know to ignore your opinions. like you acting like GR is even close to blade runner in quailty lol spoiler its not.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so i like terrible ideas, but i am acting like i do.. awesome

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 28 April 2022 06:43 PM

so i like terrible ideas, but i am acting like i do.. awesome

Lol i see why you thought the characters and dialogue in secret files was good, matches your reading comprehension. Awesometacular.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Either way im gald i was able to bring the forum back from the brink of extinction with my on going review of a pretty terrible game.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 April 2022 06:50 PM

Either way im gald i was able to bring the forum back from the brink of extinction with my on going review of a pretty terrible game.

Kiss

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Fewer insults, more talk about Secret Files Tunguska, please.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 28 April 2022 06:53 PM

Fewer insults, more talk about Secret Files Tunguska, please.

Its my thread he is free to leave, by all means. Cool

Total Posts: 526

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

It’s pretty amazing how much of a role perspective and time play here.

I played these during the 00s and yes, we were starved of games back then but I really enjoyed playing them! I knew they weren’t the top of the line games or comparable with the classics but when there’s not a whole lot to play then somehow something new has a kind of shiny glow to it.

I have no idea how much I’d like them if I played them now for the first time and most likely I would be in the ‘hater’ group. I just find it interesting how much what we bring to a game influences our enjoyment of it, maybe even more than the game itself.

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 28 April 2022 07:32 PM

It’s pretty amazing how much of a role perspective and time play here.

I played these during the 00s and yes, we were starved of games back then but I really enjoyed playing them! I knew they weren’t the top of the line games or comparable with the classics but when there’s not a whole lot to play then somehow something new has a kind of shiny glow to it.

I have no idea how much I’d like them if I played them now for the first time and most likely I would be in the ‘hater’ group. I just find it interesting how much what we bring to a game influences our enjoyment of it, maybe even more than the game itself.

Give it a go on sale for 2 bucks.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top