• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

chrissie - 10 April 2024 12:51 AM
Keybordz - 09 April 2024 11:01 PM

Now I’m stuck at the supposed final mixology puzzle down in the chute

You’re thinking along the right lines - examine everything in your inventory for a clue

Thanks Chrissie, that’s just the nudge I needed and I’m ready to move on to Chapter 4.

One thing I meant to mention regarding Chapter 3…

I’m impressed how the use of the intercom system allows the scope of the game to be expanded without having to use additional assets or scenes, which, given the nature of its visual construction, is highly desirable.

I was earnestly trying to figure out how to find the kitchen before it clicked for me.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished Chapter 3.  Thumbs Up  The ending was easier than I thought it would be. Although I did have a bit of trouble aligning the paper puzzle pieces. Or rather I didn’t have trouble aligning the pieces ... the trouble was there was nothing to alert me that I had done it correctly. So I did the same thing on the other cabin porthole, with the same result. I did resort to a WT, and it pointed me to the mermaid statue. The rest was accomplished in about 15 minutes.

I’m taking another break. Maybe will start Chapter 4 tonight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Hello all!

Still enjoying the playthrough - we just finished Chapter 4. This started off generating a lot of interest between the two of us.

The journal page puzzle and poison concoction felt like a Myst puzzle, though I personally wish they had provided a bit more guidance as to which pages were relevant at this time. We spent a good deal of time trying to figure out the recipe, and needed a slight external nudge as to the logic of it even though there was a clear clue earlier with the A-B puzzle with the number combination.

Edie’s dream started off quite good, but really devolved into an annoying trial-by-error series of photograph swapping. We had some satisfying epiphanies throughout, like completeing the hallway to access the door!

We overthought the finale, though, and I really thought we had it figured out when we had photograph Edie look out the bedroom window at the garden with the mother and husband! But it really had no consequence. Why was the bedroom scene rotated, while all the others were not? Strange design choice, because we thought this was a meaningful clue that did not seem to be. We had to resort to another nudge and never would have thought of showing either Edie the actual photo of the mother.  So, a bit of a frustrating end to the chapter and anticlimatic dispatch of the tentacle. Was there a clue we missed for dispatching the tentacle? Also, what was the point of the teddy bear and chest in the living room with 1837 on it? At some point we thought we had to use the video screen trick again but with the photographs - again, felt like an epiphany but did not go anywhere.

Music and art were satisfying, but nothing that wowed us the same way as before. This was probably our least favorite chapter once it was completed. Hoping the next one gains some momentum before the finale! I was ‘happy’ to read that the fetus was the target of the Dream Machine, as we had suspected this much earlier.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

IronCretin,
In the scattered bits of conversation in the hall, young Edie actually glimpses Victor and tells him to show her the problem, which, of course, is the mother.  If you witnessed the uncomfortable scene in the bedroom, and some of her other comments when all 3 were together, you know how deeply she interfered with their lives. 

Regarding the teddy bear, there are two ways to answer him when he asks if Victor if he is his owner.  The yes answer gets him to play a lullaby.

I really liked the conversation at the end of chapter 4, and the way that getting rid of that hateful dream freed Edie.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Hello Lady Kestrel! Thanks for replying.

Yes, we also liked the final conversation in Chapter 4. Though, it ended up feeling somewhat dark in tone - because it’s unclear that even now Victor wants to have a child. I think it was supposed to focus on that he was growing into parenthood? But, left us feeling like he might be doing this more for his wife. Seemingly so, given the opening quote (“Man hands on misery to man.”). Left us a bit disappointed in his role as a hero - not sure if that is the intention? Since he isn’t really doing the nicest noblest things (e.g., drugging Edie and her friends).

For the problem - yes, we thought the mother was the problem. But, could not get Edie to engage the mother herself - I suppose because the photograph projections were figments and could not actually change the world? Because so much manipulation was of the photographs, I think we got fixated on the solution involving them. I suppose that we felt it unclear that we’d have to engage the knitting Edie because of that. Also, I really didn’t think the scissors would do anything against the tentacle! Which I suppose they didn’t, haha. Either way, not really a criticism here, we just didn’t click with the creator’s logic here.

Still unsure what happened to Edie’s child? Since clearly they were trying to conceive and the mother was pressuring them to do so. Is the teddy supposed to signify they never conceived? Since the teddy never knew its owner? But then why the grave - was it a still-birth? Just a bit confused with that part. I think the way of engaging this story was a bit hard, since it was driven by passive interactions created through photograph combinations - of which there were so many (5 rooms, 3-1 characters per room)

Total Posts: 1267

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Last night I managed to enter Edie’s dreams, I expect to finish Chapter 4 tonight.

It was very funny for me trying to explain Morton’s experiments to Edie and to their bridge companions with no results.

I couldn’t solve the door code puzzle. I realized there were strange symbols “from A to B” but I thought they maybe related to the buttons, some of them looked carved, but of course, that was not the case. Very witty the way to solve the puzzle by folding the page. At least that gave me the clue for the sleeping powder puzzle now that I know I can manipulate notebook’s pages, which I solved without any trouble.

It was very realistic having to wait for the water to be hot and make tea.

Well, now it’s time to mess with Edie’s photographs in order to progress in her dreams.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

IronCretin,
The teddy bear was on the child’s grave because the mother’s grave with her picture was next to it.  I don’t think it matters when the child died, just that Edie suffered a loss.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 515

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished chapter 4 last night. Another very good one, but not quite on the level of the previous chapter. I pretty much echo @IronCretin’s last two points. It would have been interesting to know more about how Edie’s son died, especially since the mother-in-law considered him a product of sin. And it seemed like the mother-in-law had bought the kid a questionable/curious birthday present (did we get to know what it was?).

I finally got it right, but I tried many other things to get Edie to “see the problem” before doing what the game expected me to do. Including putting the three characters in different “configurations” in each room, which of course I had already done before I was tasked to show Edie the problem. The puzzle kind of makes sense in hindsight, sure, but a tiny bit too convoluted imo.

Otherwise mostly good puzzles in this chapter too. I especially liked the “A to B” code puzzle. Imaginative and perfectly executed!

On the other hand I got mad at the game for the first time during this chapter. I had put all ingredients for the sleeping potion in the beaker apart from the cactus sap. Figured I had to combine the beaker with the bucket to get the sap in there too, but I ended up emptying the beaker instead and had to redo the puzzle from the beginning, including roasting petals… Grrr.Smile

Also, I encountered yet another hotspot that didn’t say it was a hotspot before I tried using an object with it. In this case it was the door that the game did not tell me was a hotspot before I tried to put the stop underneath it. I encountered the same thing in both chapter 1 and 2 if memory serves. A bit strange if the game was programmed this way, but on the other hand it hasn’t stopped my progress so far.

Total Posts: 1267

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I finished Chapter 4 last night as well. I agree with others: not a bad chapter, but I didn’t enjoyed as much as the previous ones, probably because of the photographs on the wall management. I didn’t quite understand it, or the clues were not clear (changing the rooms distribution, using the small pictures on the photographs…)

I did like knowing about Edie’s past. Although the information was very fragmented and you must pay attention to what the “ghost” say, you get an idea of what happened and how the tentacle is feeding from Edie.

I felt sad about the teddy bear, always waiting for his owner and working hard for singing perfectly the lullaby.

Anyway, I really hope next chapter to be as good as Chapter 3. Let’s spy some more dreams!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I just came back from my vacation, so my plan is to play and finish Chapter 4 tomorrow. Smile

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

Into Chapter 4 a little ways and I have successfully mixed the sleeping powder mixture.

Now I’m looking for the tube(s) that connect to the machine in the basement in order to dispense it .
I feel like I have missed something obvious, despite searching through most of the various apartment locations.

Quite a clever puzzle to deduce the door code

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Keybordz,
Someone needs to sleep, perchance to dream. Smile

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

This chapter so far has by far the best riddles for me and I have not even started Edie’s Dream yet.

I opened the secret passage easily this time around. Knowing that each triangle represents a different number, makes it kinda obvious. The lab equipment was very easy to use, especially for me, since I literally work in a biochemistry lab. I liked the usage of petals with the fire a lot. The notebook riddles were INGENIOUS. Stumbled a bit to the Dream Powder recepie, since it took me a bit to realize I can tear off the page in the middle, but I especially loved the A to B puzzle to find the password to the bathroom. Speaking of which, if Morton was sleeping in his bed and had an urgent need to go to the WC, he would had to run to the the next room, use the gramophone code as fast as he could to open the secret passageway, run down to the lab, put the 6 digit code to the pad and finally, go to relieve himself. This is pure comedy material. Its no wonder his entire apartment is filled with mops and buckets. Grin Grin Grin

I just entered Eddie’s dreams. I am pretty scared of what I am going to meet, considering her age she should be the closest to the edge of the dreamworld thus far. Planning to play the rest of the 4th chapter tomorrow.

EDIT: A little creeped out that I found Alicia’s Ultrasound in the notebook. Are we going to visit the baby’s dreams too at some point??? Confused

EDIT 2: Master Key unlocks everything! I stole a letter too. I am sure it will be needed in later chapters.

Total Posts: 515

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Keybordz - 16 April 2024 05:22 PM

Now I’m looking for the tube(s) that connect to the machine in the basement in order to dispense it .
I feel like I have missed something obvious, despite searching through most of the various apartment locations.

I was on the same track as you at first, but if you read the journal again with focus on the machine and especially the remark about one thing that is needed to use it it may help.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Finished the 4th chapter also. I am enjoying the game a lot. It has some weird vibes. This last chapter felt pretty blue and sad. The last dialogue with Eddie was very interesting. Puzzles are great. I got stuck for a long time trying to open the door with the gramophone. Couldn’t connect the dots but then it came to me. After that it was a smooth sailing considering i read some of the spoilers here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top