• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #76 - The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow

Total Posts: 1664

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 26 January 2023 05:49 AM
Jdawg445 - 25 January 2023 09:29 PM

Go to the 2 hr and 23 min mark.

Thanks. I was thinking of another scene with a man and a woman. Easy to forget small details that don’t make sense at the time. I may be making too much of this but I don’t find it a very satisfactory explanation. To me the milkman event feels weird and tagged on.

I dont disagree with you, my best guess is to show a horrifying scene with escalation in the tension. Plus another scene with the hallucinating flowers.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I have mixed feelings about last chapter. No problem with the puzzles, but with the sense of them. I mean, who is supossed to set all that? Thomasina’s father in order to prevent Abraxas release? Then why keeping the coins, the tokens, so anyone could find them and free Abraxas? And if it wasn’t Thomasina’s father, why making it so complicated?

About the ending, I didn’t see that coming. I was pretty sure Thomasina was dead when she comes to visit her father at the beginning of the game. Being possesed, forced to kill her father and ending up in prison is much more cruel. But consistent with her actions.

The game is capital in my opinion, not so much for the puzzles, but for the atmosphere it achieves to create, the care for the secundary characters, and how well written it is. No hogwash at all!  Wink

I will be looking forward for Cloak and Dagger’s next game. They never disappoint.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Doom - 25 January 2023 08:28 AM

In fact I still don’t understand Thomasina’s motivation to explore the barrow. Yes, she wanted to help her father (because some goblin from her dreams told her that would work somehow). But after what she had discovered, what Tillet had told her and the way everyone acted during day 3 climbing in that barrow felt like a very stupid decision right from the start. If only we had real choices in this game, I would’ve showed middle finger to Shoulders and Panswyck, burned down their houses using my trusty oil lamp, stole that horse from stables and left the village, for good or bad.

I agree with you that the end chaoter somehow did not fit with the rest of the game, but I could really inderstand Tomasina here.

In the first place, she seems proud to be stubbord, and is used to the fact that people think what she does is weird, if only because she is a woman.
And then this idea about being able to save her father, together with the idea that everything is scientifically explainable, so there should be nothing to be afraid of, was for me a plausible explanation.

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2023 06:36 PM

Miscellaneous:
- milkman. What on earth was that all about? Why was he tied up? If they wanted to scare him off for some unknown reason they could have saved themselves the trouble, he was eloping with his bride anyway. And how did his attackers come by flowers from the barrow that we haven’t seen anywhere else?

Yes, this is one of the many loose ends. I had hoped more of them would come together in the end.

Karlok - 25 January 2023 06:36 PM

- close-ups. Loved them. That stupid drunken Tillet asking for a kiss. The sheep. The cat. Saxton. Father Roache. The milkman. The badger was great too. I wish there had been more.

Yes, that is one of the things that makes this a great game, agree!

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Intense Degree - 26 January 2023 04:38 AM

It’s been an enjoyable playthrough, thanks Sylv for leading! Smile

Thank you :-)
Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to really lead. First, work became very busy, and then I got a granddaughter, who, of course, deserved all the time I have :-)

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

sylv - 28 January 2023 02:49 AM
Intense Degree - 26 January 2023 04:38 AM

It’s been an enjoyable playthrough, thanks Sylv for leading! Smile

Thank you :-)
Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to really lead. First, work became very busy, and then I got a granddaughter, who, of course, deserved all the time I have :-)

Thank you very much for doing your best. I really enjoyed the game and sharing this CPT with you all!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7453

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, thanks to Sylv and everybody else. I always learn more playing with others than on my own.  Cool

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I appreciate you taking this on at such a busy time, Sylv.  My playing got interrupted by real life this past week, but I will finish the game asap.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished chapter 2 last night.  Although I wasn’t always sure where to go with the many fetch quests in the chapter, I managed to gather everything and use the items correctly.  One of the things I did enjoy was running into new people who opened up the story even more.  The voice acting continues to be a plus in this game.  The sense of foreboding has grown, and I’m anxious to finish the game and, hopefully, get to the bottom of this mystery.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 1664

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think one of the reasons I enjoyed Hobb’s barrow so much, is the fact that the game takes its time with the story and doesn’t jump the shark so to speak so fast. I feel like a lot of modern adventure games do that now, where the game starts off under one premise and then quickly switches gears to something else, within 30 minutes or less. For instance I tried the demo of that new Western game coming out called rosewater, I think. the basic premise of the game switches within the 15 minutes that the demo lasted, and I was not a huge fan of that switch; or the demo itself, to be honest.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve also now got to the end of Day 2 albeit much later than planned!
I’d played the game before so I found myself paying much more attention to details knowing what was to come & especially after reading the observations of my fellow players.

Nico2021 - 04 January 2023 10:42 AM

was… Kinda bored that most modern adventures have pixelated graphics….

I get what you’re saying Nico but for me it’s not boredom but more frustration that many a good game would be greatly enhanced visually with “better graphics” until I played this one… 

Intense Degree - 11 January 2023 06:18 AM

I really like the graphics. .the scenes here are well composed and drawn and capture the buildings and location well.there is some nice scenery animation in many places.

Doom - 03 January 2023 01:23 AM

I especially liked the use of colours and moving panoramas

Yes. I was immediately impressed with the well-conveyed weather conditions to start with.
As you progress you get the idea if it’s foggy, or if it’s breezy as foliage, trees & flowers sway.& you glimpse a rabbit hopping around. Also, you hear the sounds of e.g.  a babbling brook or barking dog.

The colour palette for me superbly conveys the atmosphere of the location & although I don’t know that village I’ve visited enough similar ones to believe that:

sylv - 01 January 2023 02:18 AM

…. A small village in Yorkshire is captured exactly how it is.

So, I could quite happily nominate this game for best artwork.

sylv - 01 January 2023 02:18 AM

……The voices are superb……

Yes, I for the most part thought so too but….

Jdawg445 - 01 January 2023 08:24 AM

…Agree with you on the voice work. Especially the main protagonist, I think she’s great. my only problem is the children voices are not the greatest to me.

I don’t entirely disagree jdawg. I thought I’d read on the this thread somewhere that WEG always use child actors to voice children but after a little research it seems that the boys Wally & Douglas were voiced by adults (& very badly in my mind). I could have ignored them not sounding so young if the dialogue & the structure of their dialogue had matched that of a child which it didn’t!
But I did think the voices of Jane & young Thomasina were very good.

.....to be continued…....

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Fade to white Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

walas74 - 10 February 2023 09:35 AM

Fade to white Smile

Better than fade to black? Not my fault - maybe too many words?

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Post content appears to be there, but it’s not rendering. Odd, investigating.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 04 January 2023 05:52 AM

……. you can tell the developer is male. No woman would approach a guy who sexually harrassed her, let alone buy him a drink.

After living for a while in a more ‘rural’ place in the north where everyone else knows everyone else, if that happened today it would be treated differently in that part of the world. He would be regarded as a silly drunk who ‘tried it on’ & not considered as a threat & definitely not as a serious sexual predator.  I easily fobbed him off by mentioning his wife!

I don’t condone at all how he behaved but he seemed genuinely remorseful & apologetic & also Thomasina needed some info.  No, I didn’t choose to buy him a drink but I had to anyway it seems.

Considering the era that the story is set in I did wonder how acceptable it was for a young women to be checking into pub lodgings unchaperoned, frequenting the bar & drinking beer? 

As in any country I’m sure we have a variety of terminology pertinent to different parts of it which those from other parts may not be familiar with let alone by those from another country.

walas74 - 13 January 2023 10:58 PM

……….. I learnt some curious new words such as “lass” and “hogwash”...

The term ‘hogwash’ I’m very familiar with but I really can’t recall it being used in any conversations I’ve ever had so I guess I know it from film, TV & literature?

The term lass seems to be mainly used by natives of the north of England & Scotland to describe a girl or young woman although I have heard it used to refer to an older woman in a family e.g. ‘our lass’ (wife) or ‘old lass’ (mother). Curiously the male equivalent ‘lad’ is commonly used throughout the country in wider context.

That brings me to remembering other ‘customs’ such as staying with my grandparents pre duvet & central heating when a spare blanket was put in the room & often placed on the top of a wardrobe…..temporarily & not long enough to get dusty!  Laughing

Karlok - 08 January 2023 09:37 AM

……. What is that unclickable grey thing on top of the wardrobe in Thomasina’s bedroom? It bothers me that I have no idea what it might be.

Walas nailed it!

Karlok - 08 January 2023 08:13 PM
walas74 - 08 January 2023 01:09 PM

It must be a supplementary blanket for really cold nights.

Really? Well, us Dutchies have our faults, but we would never put bedlinen, blankets, pillows, duvets on top of a wardrobe where they will gather dust.

To add credence to that I never noticed until this 2nd time of playing that in the night scenes there is nothing on top of the wardrobe.

I’ll post my thoughts on the story later on.

Thank you CaliMonk Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top