• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Now playing: paradise killer. This game has hit me like a bag of bricks. Is that a good thing? Not 100% sure. The fascinating thing about it is how much it reminds me of the 90s era in experimental non-point&click; adventures, in that you’d see these adventure games that do their own thing and arent too worried about conventions.. and that can have pros and cons. The con right now is that there is a very large information dump, and a very large amount of open space to explore, and this kind of overwhelming feeling that im throwing things against the wall to see what sticks and hoping i remember half of whats going on. The pro is that its deeply creative, and full of great art and music. If i dont get lost in the story or lose motiviation to play, its definitely a game with high potential.

Total Posts: 521

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Playing Paradise Killer is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I’ve had over the last few years. Absolutely fantastic. The openworldiness (and otherworldiness I guess) can be overwhelming at first, but after a couple of hours I was really hooked.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Wanted to test the new iPad Pro with OLED screen by finally playing Return to Monkey Island but the devs literally pushed an app update at the beginning of the year to change it to a demo with in-game purchase of the full version and broke it for everyone that already payed for the game in full before that update. So the damn app is now only a demo and telling us to pay for it again via in-game purchase, can’t play it. Scammed again by devolver.  Laughing

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Just finished playing Twilight Oracle and moved on to Brownie’s Adventure. The dichotomy between the two is interesting. The former is a very polished example of a retro style point and click adventure with high (for an indie) production values, and is also very boring and small and unimaginative. The latter is incredibly rough looking and plays like there are some parts where the developers just couldn’t be bothered, and is also epic, creative, and interesting.

Twilight Oracle was made by Cosmic Void, who also made Blood Nova (which I really did not like) and the Corruption Within (which was a charming and very enjoyable short horror adventure). These guys are so talented, but can’t seem to write likeable characters or un-cringey dialogue, and their games, despite having really nice artwork and atmosphere, are often just boring to play. Twilight Oracle actually feels like an ironic send-up of the worst traits of the adventure game genre. Fetch quest after fetch quest, “Give me this and I’ll give you a random item in return that you can give to someone else who will do likewise” scenarios. So on and so forth, attached to a vapid nonsensical story that never really goes anywhere farther than its own back yard.

Brownie’s Adventure I highly recommend so far. It’s cheap, it’s weird, but also accessible.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2087

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Started playing The Legend of Skye and enjoying it so far, it has a very nice feel, it’s like a love child of Monkey Island and Loom. It also features character close-ups and they are better than those in Black Hawk, not to mention characters themselves are much funnier and puzzles are just up my alley. Stealing a chocolate bun reminded me of the famous gold tooth puzzle from Curse of MI. The only thing that bothers me a bit are pop-up text descriptions which don’t disappear after you click on something, which leads to text over text if you don’t move the mouse cursor away quickly. Weird design choice.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Veovis - 17 May 2024 09:19 AM

Playing Paradise Killer is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I’ve had over the last few years. Absolutely fantastic. The openworldiness (and otherworldiness I guess) can be overwhelming at first, but after a couple of hours I was really hooked.

I believe im approaching the end, or at least im going to start the trial soon. Its a really interesting game. But oh god do i find it tedious. I feel like the design approach in a bunch of areas they were asking themselves “what can make this more tedious?” Like if they just added a compass it would significantly boost my enjoyment exploring. But theres also being bounced back and forth with characters and their weird social link thing… And having 12 things you can ask them about and 10 of them are “i dunno why’d you ask me for” responses… And then you unlock a new topic and need to check with everyone about it and most of them are still like shrug. And the footbath unlocks were neat but then its like “cool i got this thing that helps me reveal spots… But theres this unnecessary awkward pause every time i use it and i have to use it over and over and over.”  And without getting into spoilers, the pacing for me has been a big swing and a miss, i feel like i didnt do things in a good order that make sense logically and that just adds to the whole story feeling like a mess. But it is a really creative world and game design. Im hoping doing the trial will leave me with a good overall impression.

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

The Dagger of Amon Ra

I play this periodically every couple years (always begin from start again) because i love everything about the game (besides the antiquated controls) the story, the atmosphere, visuals, music, characters. Only problem is i suck at this game, never once managed to finish it, there are timed mechanics meaning you can miss a lot of stuff by not being at the right place at the right time, also dead ends where you can’t proceed without a specific item etc, typical relentless sierra game. Some day i will finish it don’t care if it takes longer, definitely not using a walkthrough for this.

Total Posts: 1671

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dirac - 26 May 2024 06:55 PM

The Dagger of Amon Ra

I play this periodically every couple years (always begin from start again) because i love everything about the game (besides the antiquated controls) the story, the atmosphere, visuals, music, characters. Only problem is i suck at this game, never once managed to finish it, there are timed mechanics meaning you can miss a lot of stuff by not being at the right place at the right time, also dead ends where you can’t proceed without a specific item etc, typical relentless sierra game. Some day i will finish it don’t care if it takes longer, definitely not using a walkthrough for this.

I beat it once, I started another playthrough some years ago but never finished it. I lost interest, it’s one of those games that I firmly put in the I like the concept and idea of it a lot more than the actual execution.

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Jdawg445 - 26 May 2024 07:04 PM
dirac - 26 May 2024 06:55 PM

The Dagger of Amon Ra

I beat it once, I started another playthrough some years ago but never finished it. I lost interest, it’s one of those games that I firmly put in the I like the concept and idea of it a lot more than the actual execution.

It’s one of those games i really wish someone would make a remake of, there’s not much you’d need to change to make this a killer of a game imo, just a little fine-tuning here and there to make it more accessible, better structured, less unfair, also maybe overdo the voice acting but definitely keep the beautiful music and vga visuals (hated what they did with the gabriel knight remake in this regard).

Total Posts: 1671

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im one of the few who liked the remake, as a southerner I loathe tim curry’s awful accent. Mark hamill and the woman from king of queens was good enough though. The character models in the remake were janky to say the least.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top