• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ripper:Retro Review

Total Posts: 1687

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok got their wish. I kept messing with settings, un-installed and re-installed the game, and messed with all the settings. I got 95% of the stuttering to stop. It still happens some but now just every so often and is not maddening.

First off i know next to nothing about the game, besides walken and fear the reaper song. A youtuber posted a retro respective and it caught my interest.

So far i have beat the opening scene and solved the cup puzzle twice. Took me longer the 2nd time, def not really intuitive. I have also spent an hr and a half beating the next puzzle which was some type of library id card. When i figured it out i was impressed with myself, the puzzle was pretty fun yet dumb. I know a lot of players had trouble with the dig puzzles, but so far they seem like child’s Play next to some of this. i dont see any great sign posting here at all. Im now messing with some crystals…

The acting ranges from over the top hammy (walken) to actors seeming to be confused (ossie davis). The best actor is probably the main character, but that is not saying much.

Anybody who wants to load it up and play with me feel free, I will be going slow bc like I said I still have to beat 100 Heroes a jrpg.

So far you would think I would hate it but there’s something about ripper I find kind of fun in a hairbrain crazy kind of way. 7/10 so far. I can’t tell if the game is just wanting me to think walken is the killer or it is going to pull some kind of Scooby-Doo mechanic in the end.

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 03 June 2024 10:34 PM

Karlok got their wish.

Their?? You’ve been around long enough to know that I am a natural born woman, the only kind there is. Please refer to me as she/her/hers.

I’m surprised you like Ripper. Good for you. But why on earth did you solve the cup puzzle twice? To prove that it is actually easy? Tongue

About Christopher Walken. He used to be one of my favorite actors but that was a long time ago. He leans far too much on routine, as we say in Dutch (and maybe in English as well, I don’t know). I love the British series The Outlaws by Stephen Merchant, very funny and highly recommended. Alle the actors are great, with one American exception. Guess who.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 04 June 2024 06:34 AM
Jdawg445 - 03 June 2024 10:34 PM

Karlok got their wish.

Their?? You’ve been around long enough to know that I am a natural born woman, the only kind there is. Please refer to me as she/her/hers.

I’m surprised you like Ripper. Good for you. But why on earth did you solve the cup puzzle twice? To prove that it is actually easy? Tongue

About Christopher Walken. He used to be one of my favorite actors but that was a long time ago. He leans far too much on routine, as we say in Dutch (and maybe in English as well, I don’t know). I love the British series The Outlaws by Stephen Merchant, very funny and highly recommended. Alle the actors are great, with one American exception. Guess who.

Actually had no idea if you were a man or woman, and im not into the pronoun game at all, so no worries there. if you read my post it’s because I uninstalled and reinstalled the game so I had to beat the puzzle again.  the puzzle itself is easy it’s the mechanics of how to move the pieces that are unintuitive. I do like ripper so far but who knows by the end, I’m already getting tired of the movement speed from room to room moving at a snail’s pace.

Walken belongs to the group of actors who no longer play characters but just caractures of themselves, along with Jeff Goldblum and several others, walken is extra hammy here chomping on a cigar constantly. 

I am curious why you thought i would hate the game? The acting is a valid reason lol, but the puzzles do follow a logic, so far… they remind me a bit of 7th guest puzzles. I admit the crystal puzzle has me very confused, i feel like it has something to do with a constellation but honestly not sure yet.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Well I did play a little more this afternoon after I got off work, about 2 hours, still have no idea what I’m doing with those crystals but I did solve two puzzles at Mickey’s aka Burgess Meredith’s House. One was a clock puzzle and one was a rolling ball puzzle, both were semi easy. Obviously there’s a third puzzle box bc Im missing a vacuum tube but I have no idea where it is yet. There are so many talented actors in this game, but none of them are very good and I think it’s all because they’re just acting against Green Screen and have no idea what’s going on, plus the script and the plot is so disjointed. the game does not flow from one story beat to the next, there’s a lot of gaps in story telling that the player is expected to kind of fill in on their own and remember a crap ton of names of different characters. several times i was like who are they talking about lol.  As far as the acting goes a quick example is I just watched Paul Giamatti in the holdovers, a couple months ago and he was terrific, and he has a bit role here in the ripper and he’s terrible, at one point he starts to giggle at the main character and I can’t figure out why lol. also his animation when he has nothing else to say is hilarious, he says something like no new information and he goes back to obviously not really reading a piece of paper as he smirks.

the puzzles are obtuse but do follow logic, especially when a hint is always in the room right around the puzzle. the puzzles do remind me of something you would see in an escape room or a 7th Guest type puzzle.

My biggest complaint though continues to be the movement, it takes forever to get anywhere. the movement is the most unintuitive thing and actually gives me a little bit of motion sickness. I still don’t hate the game at all, but my enjoyment is going down because the plot is not really hooking me yet. Still a 6 to 7 out of 10 for me

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I loved the game back then, it was so cool with being “Matrix” before The Matrix, and seemed to be ahead of its time in cyber aspect of the game. Paradoxically, FMV didn’t age well so there you go, but I still love the campy acting and I learned of great late Dennis Hopper first from this game.

And Blue Oyster Cult, also, that’s an iconic song in an iconic intro. Would love to see the remake.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 528

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Inspired by this thread i began playing Ripper last night. Got past the cup puzzle without much fuzz (is this one infamous?. Had much more bother with the first puzzles in Black Dahlia). But the game has that feel of being such a chore to play in that bad mid-90:s style that I’m not sure I’ll make it through. Imagine GK2 was released about this time… Worlds apart in so many ways.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

diego - 07 June 2024 09:13 AM

I loved the game back then, it was so cool with being “Matrix” before The Matrix, and seemed to be ahead of its time in cyber aspect of the game. Paradoxically, FMV didn’t age well so there you go, but I still love the campy acting and I learned of great late Dennis Hopper first from this game.

And Blue Oyster Cult, also, that’s an iconic song in an iconic intro. Would love to see the remake.

I love dennis hopper but i have not seen him in this game so far.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 07 June 2024 05:45 PM

Inspired by this thread i began playing Ripper last night. Got past the cup puzzle without much fuzz (is this one infamous?. Had much more bother with the first puzzles in Black Dahlia). But the game has that feel of being such a chore to play in that bad mid-90:s style that I’m not sure I’ll make it through. Imagine GK2 was released about this time… Worlds apart in so many ways.

Agree, dont love it dont hate it but i do loathe traveling in the scenes. How far are you im on Act 2

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Still very early in the game. Beginning of chapter I. No subtitles is a minus for us non-native english speaking folks. The Ripper said something I had a hard time following. Quit after that.

Being a big BÖC fan helps liking this, although the difference between a ripper and the reaper is funny. How much did they pay to use that song one wonders.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 07 June 2024 10:45 PM

Still very early in the game. Beginning of chapter I. No subtitles is a minus for us non-native english speaking folks. The Ripper said something I had a hard time following. Quit after that.

Being a big BÖC fan helps liking this, although the difference between a ripper and the reaper is funny. How much did they pay to use that song one wonders.

Were you able to get it running without a problem I had to fool with dosbox for an hour and a half to get it running. it still stutters every once in a while.

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Diego: to the best of my knowledge Dennis Hopper is not in Ripper. Were you thinking of Black Dahlia? Not his best performance.  Innocent

“I have seen things… strange things…”

Teri Garr as Madame Cassandra was even worse. IMO.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 June 2024 01:35 AM

Were you able to get it running without a problem I had to fool with dosbox for an hour and a half to get it running. it still stutters every once in a while.

A few years ago I “found” a version of the game that comes with an installer and with DosBox pre-configured. Works great so far, sound and all. I see no moral issues with this since I own at least one legit copy of the game.

Haven’t got any further into the game. Not sure I’ll continue TBH.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 09 June 2024 05:53 AM

A few years ago I “found” a version of the game that comes with an installer and with DosBox pre-configured. Works great so far, sound and all. I see no moral issues with this since I own at least one legit copy of the game.

Lol i get it, it took me about a solid day to figure out the crystal puzzle and once again it kind of logically make sense but it’s very obtuse. The on rail action sequences are also very poorly done

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 08 June 2024 12:34 PM

@Diego: to the best of my knowledge Dennis Hopper is not in Ripper. Were you thinking of Black Dahlia? Not his best performance.  Innocent

Oh, yes, I mixed up. Christopher Walken is in Ripper.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 09 June 2024 07:53 AM

Lol i get it, it took me about a solid day to figure out the crystal puzzle and once again it kind of logically make sense but it’s very obtuse. The on rail action sequences are also very poorly done

Played a bit more today but didn’t achieve much more than talking to a few people and making some feeble attempts at a couple of the puzzles. I find the writing a bit confusing and the puzzles are just there for some unknown reason. Reminds me of The 7th Guest, but at least in that game the existence of puzzles are part of the premise. Here they just feel thrown in.

But the game has a certain corny and cheesy charm, so maybe I’ll continue after all. Btw, what difficulty setting are you on for the puzzles? I’m on medium.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 09 June 2024 05:30 PM
Jdawg445 - 09 June 2024 07:53 AM

Played a bit more today but didn’t achieve much more than talking to a few people and making some feeble attempts at a couple of the puzzles. I find the writing a bit confusing and the puzzles are just there for some unknown reason. Reminds me of The 7th Guest, but at least in that game the existence of puzzles are part of the premise. Here they just feel thrown in.

But the game has a certain corny and cheesy charm, so maybe I’ll continue after all. Btw, what difficulty setting are you on for the puzzles? I’m on medium.

The default, i think that is medium.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top