• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Abhi D.

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games that you feel were made just for you?

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-02-14

PM

Are there any adventure games that when you play them you think “wow, this game seems to have been tailored made for me”?

For example, “The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief” seems to have been perfectly made for me.  It has a great mystery story, I love trains, cruise ships, etc. and travel.  It is in a way my perfect game.  I’m not saying it is a perfect game just for me “my perfect game”.

Anybody have adventure games like this?

Total Posts: 459

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Interesting way to look at an AG….I never really (overtly) thought of one being “made for me”, but now that you mention it, I’d have to say it is the Tex Murphy games (especially 3-5) that I totally connect with. Tex is my subconscious alter ego. When I (re)play those games, I am Tex. IRL, most of my friends are mutants Crazy, I had to win the girl of my dreams (and I did!), I look suave and sophisticated in a fedora and trench coat (yes, I wear clothes under it!), and I secretly want to save the world from evil.

Thanks for taking me back there.

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I remember feeling that way about the quest for glory series, because it simulated a dungeons and dragons-like experience, without placing all the emphasis on combat and loot. And imo the best roleplaying game is one driven by story and diverse problem solving, with combat as more of an afterthought.
Really adventures reflect what a good pen and paper rpg should be like. It shouldnt be a march from one battle to the next.. you should be asking yourself, what can i do to fix this problem?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i Still remember standing outside lefty’s waiting for a yellow cab while a dog pissing down on my feet, uh! those day.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Yoomurjak’s Ring - Travel to real-life exotic location, foreign languages and a bit of history
Anacapri The Dream - Brilliant mystery, huge real island to explore and some great puzzles
Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon - The humor really clicked with me, and the exploration and descriptions were great.
Journeyman Project 3 - I don’t know why but I love booting it up every time, I find it very immersive and somewhat authentic (and/or charming) in its historical depictions.
Carol Reed series - Real-life location and lots of nature shots.
The Witness - Exploration and tough puzzles galore + philosophy and no reading (which is great). Lots of nature eye candy. RHEM too - games where you finish with pages of scribbled notes scattered all over your room.
Hadean Lands - Even though it could be less opaque with some puzzles I have a chemistry background so the alchemical setting and methodology clicks. Still grinding through…
Edna & Harvey - There’s a little bit of Edna in me (and perhaps in everyone).

Hmm… I really do love my real-life settings. Never noticed that before.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It’s difficult to choose but perhaps the AOM series of games which didn’t fair too well overall in the reviews but seemed to ‘tick all my boxes’ in what keeps me happy!  Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I guess Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality made me feel like it was made specifically for me.

The very high variety in puzzles and many difficulty but also well designed and very interesting puzzles, is right up my ally and something that I had been longing for for years. That it also has a interesting story is a plus, but it was mainly the puzzles that impressed me.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7488

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dear Esther
Edna & Harvey
The Wolf Among Us
The Last Express

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I can’t think why I forgot The Wolf Among Us as a game made for me as I always loved fairy tales & the story knocked my socks off!!!  Laughing

Total Posts: 2110

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Voyage - I love non-aggressive science fiction and steampunk, love Jules Verne, I really like unexplored alien worlds - not those endless, empty worlds of Myst where you have to read volumes of books to understand what’s going on, but cozy enough interactive worlds open for an active exploration. Plus all sort of machines and item combinations.

Woodruff - same thing, a big enough, yet interactive and completely alien world where you never know what to expect, little dialogue and lots of action accompanied by fun animation.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Ooh, I’d forgotten Voyage/Journey to the Moon! Yes, me too for that one - a vintage sci-fi setting and a systematic approach to the design so that you were encouraged to experiment rather than just trying to guess the solution the designer had in mind.

Talos Principle was beautiful and clever and puzzly and rather wonderfully written, so that hit a sweet spot for me. To some extent that goes for any other game written by Jonas Kyratzes, too.

Else Heart.break() and Hacknet both seem as though they could be perfect for me - I love programming and hacking games, and if they’re combined with a good story I’ll be in hog heaven.

Of course at least one game actually was made for someone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelly_Cootalot:_Spoonbeaks_Ahoy!

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I feel that way about Broken Age.

I’m not going to call it the best adventure game I have played, but it is one of my favorite modern games in the genre at least. It contained everything I appreciate the old LucasArts classic adventure games, combined that with a fantastic art style, and managed to be bright and funny, in a time where most other games in this genre seem to prefer to be dark and gritty.

A lot of the mainstream reaction to this game made me sad, because I thought it proved that a lot people doesn’t actually want that kind of adventure games again. And I base that on how little patience they seemed to have with the puzzles, and how little appreciation they gave for the game structure, where scene, puzzle and dialogue structure really nailed the feeling of the old classics. IMHO, of course.

The game was exactly that I wanted, plus things I didn’t know I wanted, in a time where I needed it.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The only adventure games that feel like they were “made just for me” are the remakes of the old Sierra games (and newer games made in similar style by the same teams that made the remakes). Even though I started playing adventure games long after the old Sierra was defunct, I enjoy the pixel art graphics and fantasy-themed stories.

To a lesser extent, the casual game Drawn seemed like it was “made just for me,” since it was just what I wanted out of a casual.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top