• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve spent quite a few hours on chapter 5. Getting into Martin’s dream was fun and straightforward, but the puzzles in the dream itself are, like others have stated, pretty obscure and difficult. Felt stuck on several occasions and I especially spent a lot of time trying the same things repeatedly before realizing I could manipulate the size of the objects. Not sure it makes logical sense, but alright. A subtle hint or remark from our character would have helped here.

Again, the game makes things harder by not being clear on what things in the game are hot-spots before actually holding an item over them. In this case it was two of the possible places to put the crystal rod. Others have this problem too?

Now it seems I’ve accomplished everything possible in the dream so far, so I figure it’s time to try to get into Selma’s dream. When I quit playing yesterday I had ran out of ideas as to how to do it. I’m 99 percent sure it involves getting her to act on some loud noise, since she wishes to sleep. I’ve managed earlier to get her to Martin’s door by playing the stereo as loud as it gets but the same trick doesn’t seem to work twice. And I can’t play the guitar in the apartment under hers either. Hope I didn’t mess up anything by entering her apartment and making her upset with me…

So I’m pretty much stuck right now. Will give it another go tonight before checking some of the spoiler marked stuff in this thread. This is not an easy game.

Oh, I really liked the look and atmosphere of Martin’s apartment. Not so much his dream…

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

Still going here, I finished Chapter 4 over the weekend thanks to everyone’s tips.

Just getting going into Chapter 5 and already I’m not seeing much in the way of signposting.
Curious to see how the mailman showing up randomly somehow leads me into getting into more dreams.  At least the upstairs neighbors both seem like interesting characters.

Reading everyone’s comments here gives me some trepidation about finishing this next one by Saturday but I’ll do what I can.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 April 2024 05:03 PM

Nico,
To get Selma to sleep, you need to get her annoyed 4 times.  The elevator alarm, Martin’s stereo, and entering her apartment to use the phone will get her to use the phone to call Mr. Morton or the police, then you can gas her from the basement.

Regarding blinding the eyes, you’ll need something that looks like a scepter.  (I think it’s called a staff.)  Have you created the red laser beam and made the gaps in both the right and left corners of the main portal room in Martin’s dream?

Didn’t notice any elevator alarm. That is the thing i m missing. I’ ll check it out later.

As far as Willard’s dream i have the prism mirror (the triangle thing that reflects the laser and the prism rod, which i can apply it to the passage from the first cube and on the cube at the starting room. Also i can adjust the size of those two. But when i get to the eyes it says its short to reach and i cant get large because there is no space there.

My problem with Willard’s dream is i don’t understand what i m supposed to do. I m supposed to blind the eyes but no idea how. I have found the small passages that you need to be tiny to enter.

Update: Managed to enter shelma’s dream. Also managed to blind some of the screens but not sure what to do after that in Martin’s dream. Anyway working on Shelma now. Thanks for the help.

Total Posts: 5606

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Regarding size changes of inventory items, those items have to be in your inventory.  If you want to change yourself in relation to an item, it has to come out of inventory and put in an appropriate place.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just a small update. Yesterday I more or less by luck finally triggered the response I needed so I’ve entered and explored a bit of the other dream in chapter 5. As a whole the puzzle to get into the dream is clever, but a tiny bit more direction from the game would have made it even better. IRL there would have been several more options to achieve what we’re supposed to achieve, but the game doesn’t let us.

This new dream looks interesting and has an intriguing premise, but to some extent the game has lost the grip it had on me after especially chapter 3. Still very much looking forward to continuing though. Hope to finish the chapter before the weekend.

Total Posts: 1272

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I (finally) finished Chapter 5. First and foremost, I would like to emphasize the illumination, I think is gorgeous and so brilliant captured.

This chapter has 3 parts: Willar’s dream, Selma’s Dream and the last part, where to can cross between dreams. Willar’s dream was challeging. At the beginning, I did’s quite understand how to work with the prims or changing rod’s size, but once you figure out, it’s funny. What is not that funny is how much you must walk in this chapter.

Selma’s dream was very interesting. The organs thief story was gore and creepy, and the wordl building was very original for me. I didn’t quite understand the pumpkins patch part. I don’t know if I chose the right answers or what I achieved there, Can anybody explain it to me?

The final part, when you can cross between dreams, was confusing, as items disappear from the inventory. It cost me some time to work it out, but it was very satisfactory when I did.

Now I am really curious about baby’s dream and what it will be about…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Walas,
The pumpkins were just for fun.  If they made you king, then you did all right.  One of the things I liked about Selma’s dream was having to convince the knight that he was dead.

I found the bit stolen from the movie Alien to be funny in a gross kind of way, but the flight over the wall seemed to take forever.  I was relieved that the developers shortened Victor’s jaunts across the bridge.

By the way, before we started the CP, I had only played through Edie’s chapter, so all this was new to me.  I’ll admit to getting tired of having to change size so often, but it was neat to figure out how to change the inventory items.  Also, who would have thought that legion would be so annoyingly helpful.

I have since finished the game but will reserve comments about it until the end.  Let me know if you need more time for chapter 5.

Total Posts: 2994

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

After some troubleshooting issues that appeared out of nowhere (the game was crashing too frequently), I reinstalled it and played all 4 chapters from the begining. This gave me the chance to save the bartender by not sending the Bloody Mary in chapter 3. Mind you, this made the game far harder, since I didnt had the radio frequences and basically had to use all of them in all 3 rooms of interest.
But this is unimportant. My most important discovery was in chapter 4. In Eddie’s dream, I called the moving company from the phone. And the freeakin dream machine answered!! They basically told me that I should have never tried to connect two dreamers and now the dream machine has tentacles in the jackass Mover’s dream too!!!
OOPS!!!

This is huge.
I will start playing chapter 5 tonight.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Did reinstalling help @Sefir? I’ve had trouble with random crashes since especially chapter 4. The screen suddenly goes white with an exclamation point in the middle. Saving often works since the crashes are random, but it’s a bit annoying. I’m guessing some memory problem, since it seems to be triggered by changing locations a lot.

I agree the level of detail in the writing and graphics is fantastic in this game. Only exception; in Victor’s own apartment in chapter 5 many hot-spots only gives a “not defined” response. And for me some important hot-spots have given me nothing until pointing an object on them, but I seem to be the only one having this problem.

I’m probably (hopefully) near the end of chapter 5 but felt stuck when I quit last night. I’ve done a few things in Selma’s dream because they were possible to do but without really understanding why. Such as burying the knight and connecting the two dreamworlds with a string. And I find the pumpkin king thing puzzling and a bit overwhelming. No idea what the game expects me to to with it.Will give it another go tonight.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I had some progress last two days. I m at the part that the witch gave me the recipe to craft a potion (to enlarge myself and get on the huge stairs i guess). So I ll try to craft the potion tonight. Not sure how close the end of the chapter i m.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Nico2021 - 26 April 2024 08:09 AM

I had some progress last two days. I m at the part that the witch gave me the recipe to craft a potion (to enlarge myself and get on the huge stairs i guess). So I ll try to craft the potion tonight. Not sure how close the end of the chapter i m.

You are in the last part of the chapter.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 April 2024 06:32 PM

Walas,
The pumpkins were just for fun.  If they made you king, then you did all right.  One of the things I liked about Selma’s dream was having to convince the knight that he was dead.

I found the bit stolen from the movie Alien to be funny in a gross kind of way, but the flight over the wall seemed to take forever.  I was relieved that the developers shortened Victor’s jaunts across the bridge.

By the way, before we started the CP, I had only played through Edie’s chapter, so all this was new to me.  I’ll admit to getting tired of having to change size so often, but it was neat to figure out how to change the inventory items.  Also, who would have thought that legion would be so annoyingly helpful.

I have since finished the game but will reserve comments about it until the end.  Let me know if you need more time for chapter 5.

Thanks for the answer to the pumpkins patch. Yeah, I managed to become King haha!

I still think crossing the bridge took too long even shortened.

By the way, the mob was really funny.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Finished the 5th chapter also. Seems i needed 1 hour more to play from where i had stopped.

That was the longest by far chapter, 3 or 4 times the length of the others. The puzzles were very involved this time and there were almost no tips for willards dream. I found the puzzles at Shelma’s dream a lot more accessible and traditional. While i was annoyed at the begining with lack of tips and direction i enjoyed the chapter a lot in the end. I think it was the best chapter so far. Only complain is that this chapters with the two dreams felt disjointed from the rest of the game but this is something that i noticed for the other chapters also. It feels to me that different people create the puzzles for each chapter. This creates variety which is a good thing but at the same time it weakens the theme of the game as puzzles are all over the place.

Maybe its just me but the skeleton somehow brought to memory this scene from monty python

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m a little behind - it’s quite chaotic at home at the mo but hoping to catch up on Sunday.  Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Nico,
I think the developers might have had that knight in mind.  The conversation was certainly Pythonesque in flavor.

walas74 - 26 April 2024 10:38 AM

I still think crossing the bridge took too long even shortened.

At least it allowed Victor to take inventory items back and forth.

By the way, the mob was really funny.

They did have lots of reasons for not doing anything particularly helpful.

Chrissie,
Would you like some extra time? 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top