• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckychrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Agent A: A puzzle in diguise review.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Wife and I tried this game,  because it was $1.99 and it seemed interesting. It is light on story but it revolves around spies. It is full of puns and is somewhat humorous like a light-hearted James Bond. The puzzles are more like puzzle boxes that you would find in an escape room. My wife loved them because that’s what she finds interesting more so than story. The game took roughly 4 to 5 hours to complete. We both enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend picking it up while it’s on sale, we got it from the PlayStation Store.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I Remember playing this game. I think it was at least 4-years ago. If I recall correctly Karlok recommended it to me. I enjoyed it! Although, I wouldn’t call it an adventure. Maybe “Adventure-Lite,” similar in type to Emerald City Confidential.

I see it on Steam for $19.99. Good that you can enjoy it as a smaller price. As did I.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 20 April 2024 04:20 PM

I Remember playing this game. I think it was at least 4-years ago. If I recall correctly Karlok recommended it to me. I enjoyed it! Although, I wouldn’t call it an adventure. Maybe “Adventure-Lite,” similar in type to Emerald City Confidential.

I see it on Steam for $19.99. Good that you can enjoy it as a smaller price. As did I.

Really??? It is full of puzzles, both inventory and in the form of logic puzzle boxes

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, I played Agent A years ago and was pleasantly surprised because as a rule I don’t care for casual games. Of course there are exceptions, like some of the Mystery Case Files. In 2023 I replayed three Ravenhearst mysteries (my favorite is the politically very incorrect Escape from Ravenhearst) and the amazing 13th Skull. I’d also love to replay Dire Grove, but that’s become technically impossible.

Anyway, Agent A is clearly a casual game. Or an Adventure Lite. But not a “real” adventure. Rtrooney is right, I recommended it in the Casual thread. It was very cheap at the time and several people bought it.

PS: Speaking of casual games, I finished Boxes: Lost Fragments yesterday. I read a positive review and was ready for another game in the vein of The Room series and The House of Da Vinci. But Boxes is not nearly as good. Great graphics and animations, repetitive, very simple puzzles with only a few harder ones.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 21 April 2024 06:49 AM

Yes, I played Agent A years ago and was pleasantly surprised because as a rule I don’t care for casual games. Of course there are exceptions, like some of the Mystery Case Files. In 2023 I replayed three Ravenhearst mysteries (my favorite is the politically very incorrect Escape from Ravenhearst) and the amazing 13th Skull. I’d also love to replay Dire Grove, but that’s become technically impossible.

Anyway, Agent A is clearly a casual game. Or an Adventure Lite. But not a “real” adventure. Rtrooney is right, I recommended it in the Casual thread. It was very cheap at the time and several people bought it.

PS: Speaking of casual games, I finished Boxes: Lost Fragments yesterday. I read a positive review and was ready for another game in the vein of The Room series and The House of Da Vinci. But Boxes is not nearly as good. Great graphics and animations, repetitive, very simple puzzles with only a few harder ones.

Well as usual i just disagree then, a casual game to me is one where there are no puzzles, this game is full of puzzles. Its short and does not have many rooms or characters but it is chock full of puzzles. The puzzles are on the easier side and are about three steps down from something like the witness, but they’re there and it has a couple of clever ones too. Not to bring up our favorite Telltale series again but wolf among us is a casual game to me, which means very little gameplay besides pick dialogues and QTE events, or a game like firewatch, aka interesting story, but pretty much no gameplay which makes for a very “casual” experience. If any subgenre that I would put this game in, it would be the “adventure” escape room genre. Anyways whatever subgenre this falls into I had a pretty good time with it, definitely not worth full price but for two bucks i can’t complain

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 April 2024 08:58 AM

Well as usual i just disagree then, a casual game to me is one where there are no puzzles, this game is full of puzzles.

So you have your very own definition of casual games. Fine. But I’d still advise you to look up a more general definition that more people agree with. Makes discussing games a bit easier. Tongue

Its short and does not have many rooms or characters but it is chock full of puzzles. The puzzles are on the easier side and are about three steps down from something like the witness, but they’re there and it has a couple of clever ones too.

I liked the puzzles too and yes, some were clever.

Not to bring up our favorite Telltale series again

Oh, good! I appreciate it.

but wolf among us is a casual game to me, which means very little gameplay besides pick dialogues and QTE events, or a game like firewatch, aka interesting story, but pretty much no gameplay which makes for a very “casual” experience.

Heh. No way you can classify Firewatch as a casual game.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 21 April 2024 09:14 AM
Jdawg445 - 21 April 2024 08:58 AM

Well as usual i just disagree then, a casual game to me is one where there are no puzzles, this game is full of puzzles.

So you have your very own definition of casual games. Fine. But I’d still advise you to look up a more general definition that more people agree with. Makes discussing games a bit easier. Tongue

Its short and does not have many rooms or characters but it is chock full of puzzles. The puzzles are on the easier side and are about three steps down from something like the witness, but they’re there and it has a couple of clever ones too.

I liked the puzzles too and yes, some were clever.

Not to bring up our favorite Telltale series again

Oh, good! I appreciate it.

but wolf among us is a casual game to me, which means very little gameplay besides pick dialogues and QTE events, or a game like firewatch, aka interesting story, but pretty much no gameplay which makes for a very “casual” experience.

Heh. No way you can classify Firewatch as a casual game.

Just did firewatch has very little real gameplay. For the record Google itself calls firewatch a walking simulator thats the pure definition of casual to me lol. Some folks think the adventure game genre itself is a casual game genre, because it doesn’t take a whole lot of quick reflexes or huge time commitments. I disagree, just like we wont agree here, im sure.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 April 2024 10:09 AM

Just did firewatch has very little real gameplay. For the record Google itself calls firewatch a walking simulator thats the pure definition of casual to me lol. Some folks think the adventure game genre itself is a casual game genre, because it doesn’t take a whole lot of quick reflexes or huge time commitments. I disagree, just like we wont agree here, im sure.

Casual games can have loads of puzzles. HOGs have lots and lots of gameplay and they are still called casual games. Firewatch can be called a walking simulator, although that’s often used as a derogatory term, but a casual game it is not. So let’s be clear about your definition of casual games: Any game or type of game you don’t like.  Tongue

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 21 April 2024 10:23 AM
Jdawg445 - 21 April 2024 10:09 AM

Casual games can have loads of puzzles. HOGs have lots and lots of gameplay and they are still called casual games. Firewatch can be called a walking simulator, although that’s often used as a derogatory term, but a casual game it is not. So let’s be clear about your definition of casual games: Any game or type of game you don’t like.  Tongue

No dont be a fool, its any without real gameplay like a firewatch or wolf among us lol. I loathe beyond the edge of owlsguard as we discussed in depth, but it is an adventure game through and through, just not a very good one to me.

Lets move on and be happy we agree on this game, it was a fun short puzzle box game with enough story to keep it engaging. 7/10 for me

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 April 2024 12:08 PM

No dont be a fool, its any without real gameplay like a firewatch or wolf among us lol. I loathe beyond the edge of owlsguard as we discussed in depth, but it is an adventure game through and through, just not a very good one to me.

Lets move on and be happy we agree on this game, it was a fun short puzzle box game with enough story to keep it engaging. 7/10 for me

I want the last word.  Cool
You refuse to use the common definition of “casual game”. I bet you haven’t even looked it up. I refuse to use your definition because it’s wrong.

Now we can move on.Tongue Don’t you dare respond!  Pan

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 21 April 2024 01:09 PM
Jdawg445 - 21 April 2024 12:08 PM

I want the last word.  Cool
You refuse to use the common definition of “casual game”. I bet you haven’t even looked it up. I refuse to use your definition because it’s wrong.

I actually did look up the definition and it’s a catch all word, so easily dismissable…

Casual games may exhibit any type of gameplay and genre. They generally involve simpler rules, shorter sessions, and require less learned skill. They do not expect familiarity with a standard set of mechanics, controls, and tropes.

So based on that definition alone this game does not fall into that category, because it does involve knowing the tropes of a point and click adventure game. Unless your new argument is that all adventure games are also casual games which I would also disagree with. Game set match, jdawg lol.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

On a serious note I might try some of those other ones. but I’m about to go cook out hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. It’s crazy in Georgia it was 85° yesterday now it’s like 48

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Don’t hold your breath on this request. It would be like asking that “quotes” be used judiciously, rather than quoting an entire message when only a sentence will do. Just isn’t going to happen.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 21 April 2024 09:30 PM

Don’t hold your breath on this request. It would be like asking that “quotes” be used judiciously, rather than quoting an entire message when only a sentence will do. Just isn’t going to happen.

Bingo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

ad rtrooney: Yes, I agree.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Google Play tags it as a casual game. Just to be clear, adventure game and casual game can co-exist. Just like an adventure game can also be a walking simulator. That is, these are not mutually exclusive categories.

But I do agree that I would pin this as (also) a casual game. That said, I’ve played some great casual games, so I don’t really think it’s an insult. It’s just different vibes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.yakand.agentaapuzzleindisguise

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top