• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkKeybordzMy Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’m all in favor of reading. I love most of those games. Navigating to the end of a huge journal where each page takes several seconds to turn due to a page-turning audio that sounds like a swamp-giraffe taking a giant sslllurpp out of a glass of water…

Well, maybe I’m just spoiled by modern conveniences. Like cars, microwaves, and computers.  Gasp

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 4287

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Charophycean - 03 August 2022 05:54 AM

Navigating to the end of a huge journal where each page takes several seconds to turn due to a page-turning audio that sounds like a swamp-giraffe taking a giant sslllurpp out of a glass of water…

OK, I’ll give you that. Those sound effects annoyed me too.
But you know what I did? I used FRAPS and made the screenshots of each page of the log and then, when I needed a reference, I simply & quickly (and soundlessly) flipped through the pictures in ACDSee*. Thank God for the Alt-Tab.

*more than two decades old version of it

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve got a question. Our un-named journalist has fulfilled the dreams/wishes of a now-dead explorer by returning a white egg to the place it belongs. She does it using various contraptions (Hydrafloat) that were invented/built by the explorer. I believe they were built by the explorer so that he could return the egg himself.

(Sounds like Kate Walker and her always finding a pre-constructed automaton to help her accomplish her goals.)

The big question is how does she, the journalist, not Kate Walker, return home to her normal life? The Hydraflost is wrecked. The glider crashed. Perhaps the explorer intended to die once the egg was returned. Did he actually intend for the journalist to die as well? Did he send her on his journey, knowing full well that if she succeeded it was also a death sentence?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

“She?” “Her?”

Where did you get that?

mjp

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

zobraks - 03 August 2022 12:48 PM

“She?” “Her?”

Where did you get that?

Well, I would say it’s been a commonly held thought since the game began. And if we are to assume that our protagonist is the person delivering the soliloquy at the end of the game, that’s a decidedly female voice.

Wonder why that was your first thought when the question I posed had far mor serious concerns.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5620

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since the game is first person, the journalist can be either, but I thought I was playing a male.  I can’t see a man of Valembois’ generation thinking it would be all right for a woman to head off into the Amerzone, even if she was qualified to do so.

Yes, after watching those lovely birds flying away, my next thought was how the devil was I going to get home!

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

If I were to go on a journey like this I would not want to go back. Go back to what? To where?
When we started we were in the middle of nowhere, in the midst of a lonely road.  It is evident that if we undertook this journey it was because we had nothing to tie us down, no background was given to us.

Suddenly we have the possibility of a trip to an almost unknown and mysterious island.

I would be like Kate Walker.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

rtrooney - 03 August 2022 11:04 AM

I’ve got a question. Our un-named journalist has fulfilled the dreams/wishes of a now-dead explorer by returning a white egg to the place it belongs. She does it using various contraptions (Hydrafloat) that were invented/built by the explorer. I believe they were built by the explorer so that he could return the egg himself.

(Sounds like Kate Walker and her always finding a pre-constructed automaton to help her accomplish her goals.)

The big question is how does she, the journalist, not Kate Walker, return home to her normal life? The Hydraflost is wrecked. The glider crashed. Perhaps the explorer intended to die once the egg was returned. Did he actually intend for the journalist to die as well? Did he send her on his journey, knowing full well that if she succeeded it was also a death sentence?

That’s a really good point, and makes me wonder whether the death of everyone in the game (besides the native girl in the village) was intentional or symbolic in some way. I could definitely see it representing the “death” of the ideals of the General, with sheer power no longer overriding culture/nature, and life returning to the Amerzone.

AKA Charo

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Some of you people are reading too much into this game.

mjp

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

zobraks - 04 August 2022 02:29 AM

Some of you people are reading too much into this game.

If a game makes you think, it’s even more enjoyable.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 August 2022 10:02 PM

Since the game is first person, the journalist can be either, but I thought I was playing a male.  I can’t see a man of Valembois’ generation thinking it would be all right for a woman to head off into the Amerzone, even if she was qualified to do so.

Yes, after watching those lovely birds flying away, my next thought was how the devil was I going to get home!

Yes, the journalist can be either sex. However, as discussed in several places, the story arcs of Amerzone and Syberia are incredibly similar. So, if we think of this game as Sokal’s “prequel” to Syberia, I think it follows that we think of the journalist as the prequel to Kate Walker. At least that’s why I think the character I’m playing is female.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Is it about time to open a new community playthrough?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I Finished the game today. I have to admit last 3 chapters were a lot more satisfying than the begining of the game.

In general i found the game to be mediocre by today standards. Lack of subtitles was a problem. The long hard to read journal that was about the story was a problem. The chapter with the grappling was pretty annoying. I had to check a walkthrough more than once to see where i should click to move on. Also there was some pixel hunting combined with dark environments that made exploring tedious. Puzzles were simple enough and the real difficulty was spotting the items and where to click. Storywise i wasnt impressed either. To me it felt more like a graphics tech demo. Ofcourse i didnt read the journal and didnt understand half of the conversations, so maybe it was my fault i didnt get the story.

On the bright side i did like the locations and the exploration and there is a certain charm of the atmosphere. Graphics are pretty ok even by today standards but they are dark and make it hard to find items. Also from what i understand this is the predecessor of syberia games which i havent played, so it has historical value.

I would rate the game as 2.5/5 stars and uneven. And tbh i wouldnt really suggest people to play it unless they wanna play the whole syberia series. But if someone likes to give it a try its pretty short and if he doesnt mind using a guide he could go through it in a day.

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Nico2021 - 07 August 2022 10:46 AM

I would rate the game as 2.5/5 stars and uneven. And tbh i wouldnt really suggest people to play it unless they wanna play the whole syberia series. But if someone likes to give it a try its pretty short and if he doesnt mind using a guide he could go through it in a day.

Same here; 2,5 stars out of 5. I did read the journal though and had no problems hearing the “dialogue”, apart from some of the clues the native girl gives the player in the next to last chapter. And English is not my first language.

To me the game just felt a bit undercooked, indeed more like a demo or maybe proof of concept. It should be noted though that in no way is Amerzone a prequel to the Syberia games. The games just share the basic premise or concept, in that you play someone who takes on a journey originally planned for and by somebody else. In Amerzone a name- and faceless journalist and in Syberia an American lawyer by the name of Kate Walker. Nothing connects the games otherwise as far as I can tell.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m going to unpin the thread, but additional comments are always welcome.

Thank you all for playing!  I enjoyed this one very much.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top