• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDaleMy Duneseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 5618

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ah!  I went all the way around the radio dial in both directions but only backed away to check the door when I heard something more than static.  Now that you mention it, I think the dial was set there at the beginning because it didn’t take long from that point to find the right song

Last night I managed to solve the rabafratzen cheese puzzle.  My hair is a bit grayer now.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 2095

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 November 2022 10:05 AM

Last night I managed to solve the rabafratzen cheese puzzle.  My hair is a bit grayer now.

I also got stuck on this particular puzzle (is it even a puzzle, or just a random hide-and-seek game?) for a long time. I must say, of all the challenges this is my least favourite so far.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7464

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The word rabafratzen was new to me, so I googled it. LOL! It’s your very own word. And a very cool one too.

About the mousy maze. Don’t read this if you don’t want hints! There are two ways to solve the maze. The long and tedious trial-and-error solution, which turned your hair gray, and a much quicker one. Ask the mouse.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 4283

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Cheese maze is very easy.

If you have a map you’ve made when you previously played the game, that is.

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Cheese maze is very easy.

If you remember the trick from your previous playthrough, that is.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

What trick is there? I just put a number on every hole. There are 50 in total and wrote down what number every exit leads. Took me at least a half hour to check all exits. Same with memory puzzle. Those were not hard for me just tedious to write down everything.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mouze trick: The mouse can probably smell the cheese. Smile His nose points the way: left or right. But you should take it step-by-step.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

mjp

Total Posts: 528

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Ok, I’m done!

The last part went pretty smoothly. I was stuck on the mouse/cheese puzzle for quite a while before realizing how the mouse positioned itself in relation to every possible door.

It was close a couple of times, but I ultimately managed to get through the game without resorting to a walkthrough. The game sometimes tries to lead the player astray in a rather sinister (Kloggish) way. I spent the best part of an hour walking around in the game world after viewing the complete movie and getting a key from Willie. Since I couldn’t find anything more to do in the castle and there was a new “ride” nearby I was sure I had to perform something somewhere else to end the game. It was far from obvious that there was a locked door in the room on the bottom floor of the castle. Also, it was never really clear to me that Klaymen had collected some kind of keys, the last being the thing Willie gives the player from the viewing machine. It would have helped a bit if the player was able to view Klaymen’s inventory.

Not sure I completely understood all details in the story, but then I never found the time to read all the text in the hall of records. I’m pretty sure reading at least Hoborg’s story would have helped understanding more. I think I’ll save that for a replay in the future.

I really had a lot of fun with the game as a whole. Great puzzles, great graphic design and just very funny “for real”. It totally deserves its cult/classic status. It places itself high on my list of favorite games of all times. Very pleased I finally got to play this game.

Thanks for leading the playthrough @Karlok!

Total Posts: 2095

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ah, I see! The mouse puzzle turned to be smarter than me Smile Now that I think of it, we are actually shown a living clay rat smelling a piece of cheese in the room next to this puzzle, so it’s also properly clued. And yet they left the opportunity to brute force it, probably imagining how many players would be tricked into it and laughing.

I’m also finished. Loved wandering around The Neverhood, even as I got stuck for some time trying to locate the symbols for the cannon which I missed, because I didn’t search in the darkness enough. Hunting down every disk might also become tricky, especially when you realise you need them all to complete the game, but I managed this task without much trouble this time around.

The game becomes pretty melodramatic and heavy on cutscenes by the end, which actually feels rewarding taking the quality of claymation and all that simple, but effective and funny “Good/Bad” storytelling. I love how good Bill just clumsily ruins half of The Neverhood and a bunch of creatures on his way and then goes completely nuts after that hideous monster kills his teddy bear… Which, along with the whole ending, is actually very similar to Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth now that I think of it!

BTW the game came out a couple of years before the Beastie Boys’ “Intergalactic” music video that featured the famous Giant Robot vs. Giant Octopus fight that had been parodied by everyone since. Now I know it was supposed to be a parody of the Japanese monster movie genre started with Godzilla, but I couldn’t help thinking the Boys picked up their idea from The Neverhood in the first place Smile

Anyway, great game, great time, thank you for the playthrough, Karlok and everyone!

PC means personal computer

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Cool

mjp

Total Posts: 5618

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I also finished this wonderfully wacky game.  It’s not only unique and funny, but it has great puzzles and a big dollop of heart as well.  Thank you, Karlok, for leading this one.  It was a blast! 💥 (Several, in fact.)

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I really liked the art style of the game. There must be a lot of work put in constructing all those cut scenes. The music was excellent also, the animations superb and the story was ok.

The graphics have aged pretty well. In general i m happy with the game and my only concern is with the puzzles. I found them weird and a lot of them were misleading making you think that the solution was complex while it was pretty simple.

I will rate is at 3.5/5 stars just because i wasnt very satisfied with gameplay as there was a lack of direction throughout the game. But at the same time i wish there were more of those odd games nowdays. Now most of the games feels similar.

Karlok thanks for the very enjoyable cpt.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nico2021 - 15 November 2022 01:31 PM

The graphics have aged pretty well.

I didn’t play the game, but have watched the thread since its start. I think of all animation styles the one that holds its own very well is Claymation. England’s Ardomre Studios movies and shorts being one of the best. Their Wallace and Grommit features can be watched again and again without tiring of them. And the movie Chicken Run is a classic. If there is one failing it’s that I am not sure how well the humor would translate for someone who isn’t reasonably fluent in English.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 28 October 2022 05:37 AM

I recommend watching The Making of The Neverhood on youtube. ... I read that it’s supposed to be included on the official disk, but not on my version. Maybe a later edition or the Skull Monkeys disk, does anybody know?

Do you have this button?

Karlok - 30 October 2022 06:59 AM

You can skip the node-to-node movement by hitting the spacebar.

I missed this precious instruction, and you gave it (at least) twice. Oh, god.

mjp

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top