• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkGabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gobliiins 5 by Pierre Gilhodes - a return to 2D!!! It’s OUT! Gobliins 6 in the works!!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

You may have missed it, the captain asked Oops to “feed all my fish” before leaving the ship. And I think the stuff that couldn’t be picked up is just some leftovers from the original design, it’s not typical for the rest of the game where goblins usually use or comment every interactive object. But yeah, it does require following certain cartoon logic and I see how it might frustrate others, especially if you didn’t like later Coktel games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finally just got chance to give it go, two levels in, and I’m just happy to say “hello!” to my old friends. The visuals look a bit more strange “modernized”, and I miss the oddly loud sound effects from the previous games, but overall - I really like it. Not going to judge total difficulty based on two levels (they seem fairly easy, and I remember being stumped in quite a few places in the original games), so I’ll hold on passing judgement for now in regards to this component.

I have no idea why/how these wacky games became such memorable moments from my childhood (amongst all the other titles), but I’m glad they did.

Also, since Pierre Gilhodes did mention Steam keys on his Kickstarter - I’m pretty sure Steam page for the game is a matter of time. Wonder if that means other parts will come to Steam as well? They were the sole reason I signed up for GOG Smile
I’ll gladly buy them again on another platform to show the support to the developer.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The game finally landed on Steam. Hopefully all bugs have been fixed as promised.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2475980/GOBLiiiNS5/

No GOG release though? Also it seems like the game still expects you to setup and launch each of the 4 parts (consisting of 4 levels each) separately using the AGS engine setup menu which is not very intuitive. I think Pierre explained somewhere that he had to split the game into parts because of engine limitations, though Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard was also a full-length AGS game and it worked perfectly with all chapters tied to one file.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Finally got my hands on the game.

I thought it was quite awful.

Everything felt very slow. The characters take forever to move. I hated the fact that you couldn’t save at any time. Also, didn’t like the lack of side-scrolling screens - even the old ones had that!

Saw a bunch of bugs. A lot of puzzles are tedious because the screens are so big, the backtracking is a chore. Also, I felt like a lot of the puzzles were about doing the same thing over and over again, like giving food to the fish in level 2 or punching the eyes in the city…

It takes a long time before the game starts to be a bit crazy like Gobliiins 3, but it never gets as fun. I liked the painting level ok. The dream level had a good concept, but most puzzles didn’t make any sense. Why do I have to make all of the students happy, I thought the goal was to make the mad scientist less evil?

I think the game is, overall, badly designed.

It really feels like a mediocre old-school game. It’s clear that Pierre didn’t play anything since the 90s.

So I’m a bit clueless about who’s gonna like this game, except for hardcore fans.

I mean, I love Gobliiins 3… but I still think this is a bad game. I think it only works because of nostalgia.

I gave up at the lab level.

EDIT: Added spoilers tags.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Joe monsters - 04 August 2023 05:39 PM

So I’m a bit clueless on who’s gonna like this game, except for hardcore fans.

I’m not a “hardcore” fan, but I quite liked the game. I didn’t see any bugs in mine, although I got an itch.io version.
I thought the levels were quite clever with a nod to earlier games and didn’t find stuff that was repetitive as annoying as you did.

It wasn’t a game that will blow your socks off, no, and there’s some stuff that could have been done better, but,overall, I quite enjoyed it.

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

I also forgot about the pixel-chasing, like in the house level. It took me an hour to find an item. It was ok in the 90s. I think it’s ridiculous in 2023.

I know we all love adventure games, but still… Felt like the game was as old as me, and I’m not saying that in a good way.

A lof of recent games succeeded to have a nice old-school vibe while being accessible, fun and modern. I’m thinking, for example, of Beyond The Edge Of Owlsgard.

Frankly, I think Gobliiins 5 will age poorly.

I’m not a “hardcore” fan, but I quite liked the game. I didn’t see any bugs in mine, although I got an itch.io version.

I also played the itch.io version. I don’t know if the Steam version is better. Having manual saving and side-scrolling screens would have make the game less horrible to play, and I probably would have, at least, finish it. Don’t think it would have save anything else.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Joe monsters - 04 August 2023 05:39 PM

Also, didn’t like the lack of side-scrolling screens - even the old ones had that!

Wait, but pretty much all levels scroll left-right and/or up-down. Or do you mean you can’t manually scroll through them without making your goblin walk there? I think this has something to do with the AGS engine limitations, I never saw anything like that in an AGS game. This would certainly help, but Pierre is not even a programmer, he had to learn programming on AGS from scratch. Might also explain the lack of saving points, although from my experience it’s easily done in AGS, I was hoping he would add this option to the newer versions. If not, it’s certainly a miss.

Also, I felt like a lot of the puzzles were about doing the same thing over and over again, like giving food to the fish in level 2 or punching the eyes in the city…

My main criticism as well, but it feels like Pierre enjoys putting those things into his games — Goblins 4 also had plenty of those “puzzles”. Just shows what a great team he and Muriel Tramis made, the games they designed together were anything but repetitive. I did enjoy most of Gob5 though, especially the “crazy” levels. As for the dream level, making everyone happy to change their attitude towards the young mad scientist loser and thus boost his reputation in the eyes of his beloved one felt pretty logical to me.

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Doom - 04 August 2023 06:27 PM

Wait, but pretty much all levels scroll left-right and/or up-down. Or do you mean you can’t manually scroll through them without making your goblin walk there?

Yes, that’s what I meant. I remember being able to do that in Gobliiins 3, which made everything go smoother. Like, for example, if I wanted Blount to go somewhere, I could scroll, click on the spot of interest, then wait for him to go there while looking at something else, or moving another character. Here, I need to move the goblin somewhere first for the screen to side-scroll. It got old very fast.

Doom - 04 August 2023 06:27 PM

My main criticism as well, but it feels like Pierre enjoys putting those things into his games — Goblins 4 also had plenty of those “puzzles”. Just shows what a great team he and Muriel Tramis made, the games they designed together were anything but repetitive. I did enjoy most of Gob5 though, especially the “crazy” levels. As for the dream level, making everyone happy to change their attitude towards the young mad scientist loser and thus boost his reputation in the eyes of his beloved one felt pretty logical to me.

I actually hated that in Gobliiins 4 as well. Maybe I was more of a fan of Tramis’s work without realizing it, then. For the dream level, it felt like things were badly explained to me. Boost the evil doctor’s reputation and make everybody love him made sense, yes, and I did that first. However, after I was done, I was told I still needed to do stuff. Then I needed to make some random students happy for no reason. I thought the goal was to change the doctor’s past, not give the pen to some boy or whatever. Maybe I did the puzzles in the wrong way… but then, why was this possible?

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Joe monsters - 04 August 2023 06:36 PM

Here, I need to move the goblin somewhere first for the screen to side-scroll. It got old very fast.

I thought he fought to find a balance between side-scrolling and static screen gameplay while trying to implement all the ideas he had in his head. Like, in Woodruff we also had a slow-moving character who had to cross huge locations — alone (!). Yet most locations still fit one screen, they had fewer interactive spots and puzzles, and they were interconnected, making up for an “open world”. Here he tried to come up with a Gobliiins-style linear gameplay and a Woodruff scale. That “dream” level you mentioned could’ve been easily divided into 2-3 levels, but he decided to make it one long level. I also think the perfect balance was found in Goblins 3, I would have rather played a sequel to it, and with Tramis as a co-designer (which would probably never happen).

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Doom - 04 August 2023 07:32 PM
Joe monsters - 04 August 2023 06:36 PM

Here, I need to move the goblin somewhere first for the screen to side-scroll. It got old very fast.

I thought he fought to find a balance between side-scrolling and static screen gameplay while trying to implement all the ideas he had in his head. Like, in Woodruff we also had a slow-moving character who had to cross huge locations — alone (!). Yet most locations still fit one screen, they had fewer interactive spots and puzzles, and they were interconnected, making up for an “open world”. Here he tried to come up with a Gobliiins-style linear gameplay and a Woodruff scale. That “dream” level you mentioned could’ve been easily divided into 2-3 levels, but he decided to make it one long level. I also think the perfect balance was found in Goblins 3, I would have rather played a sequel to it, and with Tramis as a co-designer (which would probably never happen).

Yes, I agree with everything you said. I hope he’ll find a better balance for Gobliiins 6. (I heard he wanted to work on that next.)
Is Tramis still making games? That would be nice, to be honest.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I remember 15 years ago when Goblins 4 was released Tramis was fighting to develop her own adventure game in her startup company. Pierre told me that they kept in contact, but she didn’t have time for Gobliiins. In recent years she was SUDDENLY discovered as the first French black female game designer, knighted for that, praised in media and made into an activist and a motivational speaker… And once again she doesn’t have time for gaming projects because of all this activism.

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

Not sure if it was said, but Gilhodes is working on Gobliins 6. He posted this on Facebook:

Two “i"s this time. He confirmed that the main characters would be Fingus and Winkle from Gobliins 2.

Crowdfunding will start next year.

Hopefully, he will work on the side-scrolling, save and .exe issues for this one.

I guess I was a bit harsh on the 5th one, but still, I was disappointed with what he did. I really hope this will be a step in the right direction. Gobliiins 3, while old, is still one of my favorite games.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Amazing news! So Pierre wants to resurrect all of his goblins. The original formula did feel a bit tired by the end of the 5th game, I wondered whether it would be a good idea to continue exploiting it. But the return of Fingus and Winkle is more than welcomed, that game had such a trashy, rowdy (in a good way) gameplay, could be lots of fun to revisit. Guess in this case the return of Blount and his companions in the next installment is also planned. Too bad this series is largely ignored by gaming sites, even by AG, and Pierre will probably never get Tramis back on board.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Doom - 14 November 2023 05:06 PM

The original formula did feel a bit tired by the end of the 5th game

I mean, it felt a bit tired by the start of the 5th game. Maybe that’s just me. I couldn’t find the motivation to go past the 2nd level.

Gobliins 2 was my favorite of the series but “more of the same” is a Thumbs Up

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Charophycean - 15 November 2023 01:56 AM
Doom - 14 November 2023 05:06 PM

The original formula did feel a bit tired by the end of the 5th game

I mean, it felt a bit tired by the start of the 5th game. Maybe that’s just me. I couldn’t find the motivation to go past the 2nd level.

Gobliins 2 was my favorite of the series but “more of the same” is a Thumbs Up

Well, Frozenbyte released 5 Trine games in a row to a great success despite they all play more or less the same and owe a lot to Gobliiins/The Lost Vikings, so I don’t think it’s a matter of an old formula reused. Pierre tried to make it more story/character-driven and added more original locations, but at the end of the day it’s still just a one-man puzzle/adventure, so I wouldn’t expect a breakthrough. Those games are obviously aimed at old fans, and it seems like the feedback was good enough for him to start developing Gobliins 6.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top