• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 29 June 2014 07:59 PM

I am mixing up maybe Belgium will face Germany.

FYP. Grin Naughty

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7486

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lucien21 - 30 June 2014 01:53 AM
Karlok - 29 June 2014 07:27 PM

nomadsoul, where are you from? Just curious.

He lives in Amsterdam Shifty Eyed

Really? Pulling my leg? Before I’d read your post I would have replied to his “Any guesses?” with: Not from the Netherlands, that’s for sure.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 30 June 2014 02:34 AM

Touche! But it sure seems more effective than playing a verify offensive system without having the right players to back that up. With 4-3-3 you’re playing with far too many players ahead of the ball. You need very experienced backs and midfielders to stop any well executed counters…...which we do not have.

Except you do have the right players to back that up. Only they’re up front. Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben (especially Robben) fare better in 4-3-3 than they do in 5-3-2. And I’ve a feeling Memphis Depay would as well (he’s having some good matches as a sub imo), as would Kuyt and possibly even Danny Daley Blind.
You just need to score more than your opponents do…

Then again, I’ll always favour the team that plays to score one more than the opponents, over the team that plays to not concede and hopefully score themselves. I’ve been hating on the Belgian performance more than most for that very same reason…

And in other news: the Dutch aquatic team is ready for Olympic Gold in Rio in 2 years:

Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 30 June 2014 06:41 AM
subbi - 30 June 2014 02:34 AM

Touche! But it sure seems more effective than playing a verify offensive system without having the right players to back that up. With 4-3-3 you’re playing with far too many players ahead of the ball. You need very experienced backs and midfielders to stop any well executed counters…...which we do not have.

Except you do have the right players to back that up. Only they’re up front. Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben (especially Robben) fare better in 4-3-3 than they do in 5-3-2. And I’ve a feeling Memphis Depay would as well (he’s having some good matches as a sub imo), as would Kuyt and possibly even Danny Daley Blind.
You just need to score more than your opponents do…

Then again, I’ll always favour the team that plays to score one more than the opponents, over the team that plays to not concede and hopefully score themselves. I’ve been hating on the Belgian performance more than most for that very same reason…

We’ve got the attacking players for that system, but not the right defensive ones.
You do realize that with 4-3-3, you only have 3 midfielders in one line and one of them is Sneijder who mostly sticks around attacking side of the field. This puts a lot of pressure on the other 2 midfielders and the centre backs and herein lies the problem:

You need box2box midfielders that can cope with covering the entire zone, like Strootman or at least a strong defence midfielder like De Jong to compensate for Sneijder.
Now with both Strootman and De Jong out of the picture, this is no longer a feasible system to face the stronger countries upcoming.

It works pretty good if you change system during play to surprise your opponent, as it has shown against Mexico, but as a full 90 minute approach, we’d be doing our opponents a huge favor and they can prepare themselves fully.

I like attacking soccer as anyone else, but the game is not only about the attack, especially on a big tournament like this and at the elimination round stages.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 30 June 2014 06:34 AM
Lucien21 - 30 June 2014 01:53 AM
Karlok - 29 June 2014 07:27 PM

nomadsoul, where are you from? Just curious.

He lives in Amsterdam Shifty Eyed

Really? Pulling my leg? Before I’d read your post I would have replied to his “Any guesses?” with: Not from the Netherlands, that’s for sure.

Arjen Robben dive: Fifa can take action after admission of guilt

Arjen Robben could face retrospective punishment from Fifa after the Netherlands winger admitted diving in their 2-1 World Cup win over Mexico. The 30-year-old said he did not cheat to win a decisive injury-time penalty but told Dutch TV: “I apologise. In the first half I took a dive.”

Furious Mexico coach Miguel Herrera accused Robben of diving three times. Fifa, world football’s governing body, states it can “sanction those who violate the principles of fair play”. That section of article 57 of Fifa’s regulations comes into play after Robben admitted his guilt. Meanwhile article 77 gives Fifa’s disciplinary committee responsibility for ‘sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match officials’ attention’ and ‘rectifying obvious errors in the referee’s disciplinary decisions’.

In February, Fifa president Sepp Blatter called for retrospective action on players who dive, fake injuries and time waste.

Keep on vibrating Laughing

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Smart move, Robben, admiting guilt…
But it’s ridiculous if Fifa now remembers to finally punish dives just because someone decided to admit, it’s easy to see the divers on replays…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What a lousy game by France. French player should have got a red card.

Edit: They finally woke up in last 20min

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I know we’re past this (and he already apologized, too) but

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wow, did Germany underestimate their opponent or what? Looking forward to the second half!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 30 June 2014 11:47 AM

“I apologise. In the first half I took a dive.”

Wasn’t that obvious from the replays? There’s the penalty he was denied, the penalty he got (which was theatrical, but there was contact), and one very blatant dive. Apologizing is the first step. The next step is no longer diving.

FIFA should really caution and punish retroactively, but they should do that based on images, not on admissions of guilt. It’s the only way we can ever hope to get that out of the game.
And by extension they should just use video replays during the match (something for the fourth referee?). All those unfair moments (that the referees missed), and all the wrong decisions could be eliminated.

subbi - 30 June 2014 07:34 AM

You need box2box midfielders that can cope with covering the entire zone,

Apparently, Kuyt can be used in such a role. Also, Blind is more versatile than Van Gaal gives him credit for, imo.

Look, I realize you no longer have good strong (but often slow) defenders like Koeman or Stam or De Boer, but I think playing a 5-3-2 is showing far too little trust in the defenders you do have.

It works pretty good if you change system during play to surprise your opponent, as it has shown against Mexico, but as a full 90 minute approach, we’d be doing our opponents a huge favor and they can prepare themselves fully.

I’d have to see that to believe it. How long ago is it since someone tried 4-3-3 from the get-go with the squad? Van Gaal hasn’t done that, and Van Marwijk didn’t either.

I like attacking soccer as anyone else, but the game is not only about the attack, especially on a big tournament like this and at the elimination round stages.

That’s wrong, imo. After that boring match against Russia, our coach Marc Wilmots said “it can’t always be champagne football”. What? It’s the friggin’ World Cup. If there’s ever a time when it SHOULD be champagne football, it’s now!

wilco - 30 June 2014 01:27 PM

What a lousy game by France. French player should have got a red card.

Edit: They finally woke up in last 20min

Nigeria was the better team for 70 minutes, and France took the lead when Nigeria was exhausted.

The Germany game is going the same way at the moment. Algeria is the better team, but they’ll get tired soon, and Germany will win in the end (don’t they always? Tongue)...

Am I glad Algeria didn’t play like this in their first match. Gasp

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Van Basten used predominantly 4-3-3 in both 2006 worldcup and 2008 euro cup. And guess what, he lost twice in the first elimination round. At least we’re doing better now, since we stopped playing 4-3-3 exclusively.

There is entertainment in attacking soccer, but also in seeing Van Gaals tactics work out on the field.
Just imo.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Algerian keeper has made some crazy saves.
Very entertaining match despite the result

Edit: What the hell was that stupid free kick from Germany? Grin

Edit2: Annnnnnd another overtime!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Kind of a weird time to try your stupid free kick routine from the training ground.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Germany didn’t take long in injury time.

1-0

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Goddamnit. It was almost looking good for Algeria. But their defense is really weak (even if they did occasionally manage to defend fairly well, paradoxically). And really some of their offense, too - but then they also have Feghuli, some guy whose name I can’t remember and this Brahimi (who has the most dribbles in La Liga this season) who are really good. With a couple more players like that and they would’ve had this game.

I can’t see it happening anymore, not when they’re so tired and a goal down Frown

Also, both goalies have saved the team several times.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top