• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Alone in the Dark 2024

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

The most faithful and inspired adaptation of the Lovecraftian myth ever conceived (and not just in video games!)
from the site’s review.

I’m here for that statement which sounded over the top for me, I haven’t played the game yet, but I wanted to know if any had and what they thought of it and that statement at the site review.

A1

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I haven’t played it, but the review certainly got me interested. I have my doubts (truly inspired adaptations of Lovecraft are really hard to come by if not non-existent), but if there’s one person who could do what that statement claims, it’s the creator of Amnesia and Soma.

AKA Charo

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Exactly, why use sheer absolute words like these, any review is anyone’s opinion, not more, the reviewer could have omitted the last part ‘and not just in video games’ and it would have been almost alright, maybe, even better saying, One of ‘The most faithful…’ so it could pass as an opinion rather than a big statement.

But I would love to be proven wrong, just to be clear, I love strong opinions, esp when most enjoy sitting on a fence.

A1

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GameStop gave the game a 4 out of 10. Review said basically, that the combat is atrocious, some of the puzzles are obtuse and the story is mildly interesting.

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

I hear you, but even if it is so, that doesn’t discredit the statement itself, the game could be badly designed and yet represent that ‘faithful adaptation’,.... no?

A1

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 19 March 2024 05:22 PM

GameStop gave the game a 4 out of 10.

That must mean it’s 1% better than Scratches.

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

luckyloser - 19 March 2024 05:31 PM

I hear you, but even if it is so, that doesn’t discredit the statement itself, the game could be badly designed and yet represent that ‘faithful adaptation’,.... no?

Very true, im just looking at it from a game perspective. For every decent review there is a reviewer giving it a very low score. Kind of a strange rollercoaster.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

On the bright side looking around at reviews. in general it seems that the people who do like Puzzles are really are enjoying them on some mainstream review sites like ign. I’m hoping just in general that this is a pendulum swing back towards real puzzles in bigger mainstream games. Because as I posted in another topic I feel like in general, Gamers are now actually wanting shorter more thoughtful games than just endless open worlds full of combat. I noticed that even with the new Final Fantasy remake part 2 that came out while back. While it is more open world, it is still way more small and concise than the massive open ones we usually get and the game got heaps of praise and that was one of the reasons why that was listed on some reviews.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Watched 3 minutes of a stream of the game to get an impression, looked really good imo. I will play it once it is on sale (>30%), ppl say it’s only around 6 hours or so play time, i’m not paying 50 bucks for that. Grin

Reviews on steam are rather bad though for whatever reason, most ppl seem to complain about bugs and technical issues, combat apparently not its strength but puzzles and mood.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I watched a bit of a playhtrough on Youtube, and from what I’ve seen so far the game feels nothing like Lovecraft or the original game, just a very cliched survival horror, mostly a Resident Evil/Silent Hill rip-off, with silly monsters, abominable controls and primitive puzzles. Most of them are of “find the key” or “solve the gem puzzle” variety, there’s no atmosphere and no horror, and no “exciting adventure” to be found anywhere.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Doom is right.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

I bought this on Friday. Got one of the 5,000 Limited Editions shipped to retailers at regular price. Which includes a nice booklet look, a soundtrack CD and some art inside. A weekend and 8-9 hours later, I’m in chapter 4. And I’m enjoying this. Doesn’t surprise me that this game got a review here, whilst the likes of Resident Evil and Dead Space are getting the pass. I think same as the comparably steep entry price of admission for an AA-game based on a now niche IP, marketing the game as “survival horror” is another marketing mistake.

People who enjoy the likes of Amnesia, The Sinking City, Shadow Of The Comet, Prisoner Of Ice, Call Of Cthulhu 2018 on average may find themselves more at home than somebody looking forward to launching rocket launchers into zombies all the while triggering a jump scare in between. Much like the original Alone In The Dark, this is a Lovecraftian puzzle, exploration and detective adventure game with combat (and also stealth here) in between. The combat is simple, not that regular, and even on hard not that “hard”—I played The Evil Within by chance just before. And that is a completely different beast even on the 2nd of 4 available difficulties.

There are sections where you face numerous enemies. But even in those, you mostly face one enemy at a time. You can sometimes sneak around. And if there’s lots of them coming at you, chances are it’s meant to be a RUN AND GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE moment too. You’ll notice it by the music and sound playing. The puzzles won’t meld your brain, but they’re of a trickier kind than in modern survival horror as well. The game also runs mostly over 50 fps even on a 1050ti on medium details in native Full-HD (anti-aliasing on high). And the 1050ti is the absolutely minimum listed—a lot of the time minimum means: lowest details, 30fps. There are a few very short stutters occasionally when entering a new room, but that seems Unreal Engine 4 game standard. Doesn’t bother me much either way, as it’s a slower paced game.

Also, the soundtrack is quite something in its Voodoo Jazz vibes. And a far cry from the generic Hollywood orchestra fare more typical for higher budget horror games. So far no regrets for getting this. 2001’s The New Nightmare was fun, but also tried real hard to out-Resident Evil Resident Evil, even moving Carnby into the present time and equipping him with beefy guns from the moment the game boots up. But this thankfully doesn’t do that.

In fairness, I cannot be 100% sure yet, as I’m playing Emily first. Wink

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

I very nearly pulled the trigger and bought this game after hearing great things. Glad I check out some views here before I did. The vibes I got from what I heard was that it was a return to Resident Evil 1 style of horror and obscure puzzles invented by developers who are secretly working for the zombies and don’t want you to win.

Perhaps we need another word to describe puzzles that are bit more than pickup key, use key on door. I’m certain people are not intending to be misleading, we just all have different ideas on what puzzles actually are.

I’ll wait for a sale on this one I think and see how I feel then.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

crumpets - 08 April 2024 06:19 AM

The vibes I got from what I heard was that it was a return to Resident Evil 1 style of horror and obscure puzzles invented by developers who are secretly working for the zombies and don’t want you to win.

Resident Evil 1 was always AITD on steroids. The original AITD has a reputation for being the “grandaddy” of survival horror. But Resident Evil was something else right in its first incarnation. It’s only the AITD sequels that ramped up the action either way, when Raynal was long gone from Infogrames and went on to form Adeline (Little Big Adventure). Which would foreshadow what major horror franchises/developers would all do: Trying to get more action involved, in an attempt to broaden the target audience. Dead Space did it (despite being a fully-on action game right from the start). Resident Evil did it. Alone In The Dark came first. Which opened massive opportunity for all the indies to exploit (Amnesia).

If you’re looking forward to smashing zombie heads in, you will be disappointed. The closest comparison more recent to me was Amnesia: Rebirth, but with bits of combat rather than purely hiding and running away.  As said, there are combat sections in between the detective work, even with multiple enemies. But the combat is simple, you’re barely ever approached by multiple enemies, and even if you are, that may turn into you running the hell away. This is nothing much like Resident Evil whatsoever, though the original game remains the closest comparison as to that series. It has that creepy mansion full of secrets and a few puzzles, it borrowed the camera perspective (which AITD does now in reverse). I like RE up to the more Hollywood action styled second game (the remake as well), and then the seventh one again. After which they dropped the ball again, apparently, and massively ramped up the action again.

As to puzzles, I barely got majorly really stuck once, chapter 4 out of 5. And I barely play that many adventure games anymore these days. Immediately disabled all hints, which the game optionally provides too. There’s maybe one or two that I would call a bit obscure. Otherwise, if anything, a few of them are too straight forward (without spoiling). Then again, in an age where characters break the fourth wall and tell puzzle solutions before you’ve get a chance to take a closer look (looking at you, Horizon Forbidden West), anything that has you trying a few things is being tagged as “obscure”.

There’s a reaon why game development has moved away from brain benders—adventure gaming included.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think the comparison is a bit misleading. The original Alone did play like a classic adventure game for the most part — exploring the mansion, collecting items and finding ways to use them. In this one you are either searching for keys to endless doors, items similar to keys (stone disks that activate ladders, lasers, etc.) or items that have nothing to do with the story — from what I figured, they are just collectables, totally random objects scattered, well, randomly. When you collect 2-4 “related” objects (there’s a list of them), you might get a bonus (a cabinet with a shotgun magically opens, for example).

Either than that, there are “missions”, like, run to the other side of the pier, activate a boat mechanism, etc., several safes with combinations found just around the corner and, of course, tile puzzles — I counted like 5 or 6 of them + several variations, which is madness. Are they puzzles? Yes, sure. Are they fun? No, just a very lazy game design. Even Resident Evils had more interesting puzzles, not to mention Silent Hill or Penumbra/Amnesia.

That said, I’ve been only watching the playthrough in-between the meals for pure entertainment (the guy who plays it is entertaining, not the game), into the final chapter right now. It’s not the same as playing it, of course, and he is playing as detective — although I read there’s no difference between the two protagonists. But the game feels very bleak: a lot of running through empty, repetitive locations, clumsy fights with boring and dull monsters, and no “lovecraftian” feel. It seems like the developers didn’t even bother to read his stories. “Beware of the Dark Man!”, woooo, scary Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

The conversation around this game is so weird just like the reviews. For some is really bad and for others pretty good. I was looking forward to this since I’m a big fan of survival horror but the underwhelming reception stopped me. This game looked like it was made for me, a survival horror more focused on atmosphere, story and puzzles than action, but from what I’ve read/seen, even those elements are not very good, plus with the action being bad. It seems to me that the game didn’t really know what it wanted to do, be a more action heavy modern survival horror a la Resident Evil or Dead Space or a more puzzle oriented game like the original game was and in the end didn’t really excel in any particular area.

crumpets - 08 April 2024 06:19 AM

I very nearly pulled the trigger and bought this game after hearing great things. Glad I check out some views here before I did. The vibes I got from what I heard was that it was a return to Resident Evil 1 style of horror and obscure puzzles invented by developers who are secretly working for the zombies and don’t want you to win.

Perhaps we need another word to describe puzzles that are bit more than pickup key, use key on door. I’m certain people are not intending to be misleading, we just all have different ideas on what puzzles actually are.

I’ll wait for a sale on this one I think and see how I feel then.

Same here, I was hoping for a more classic RE style of game with fairly obscure puzzles, but thankfully that area is being covered by indies like Signalis and Tormented Souls, which if you haven’t played I totally recommend. Those 2 became some of my favorites survival horrors not only in recent times but ever. The puzzles in Tormented Souls are so great I loved them, they beat any recent adventure game imo.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top