• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AI Upscaling of games

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-06-02

PM

I eventually included AI-based Upscale in all my favorite old adventures.

Shadow of the Comet

This technique is the AI upscaling algorithm ESRGAN, https://github.com/xinntao/Real-ESRGAN
which I ‘ve included in my video editor.

Tell me what you think. I think that especially Shadow of the Comet is a big go.
I’m also preparing to do Eco Quest 1 and Kings Quest 6, while AITD2 and AITD3 are already uploaded.

If you want to suggest any game I should convert, tell me and I will consider. Not all games work that way, for example Indy4 graphics don’t get much better.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

AI is amazing isn’t it? The other week I was searching for Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” and I found this fantastic upscaled AI version. Compared with the original I think it’s a great improvement.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Where is the improvement? actually, the AI version is ugly

A1

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

It reminds me when I was in college sharing a flat with friends. I used to have this poster in my room depicting “The Scream” by Munch, and one of my flatmates kept telling me that “it was painted badly and that he could paint it better”. A always laughed a lot…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Each to their own.

Perhaps you’re both just cave-dwellers who prefer chunky pixels to smooth, beautiful hi-res graphics.

(Where’s rtrooney? He’d back me up on this)

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 20 December 2023 10:21 PM

AI is amazing isn’t it? The other week I was searching for Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” and I found this fantastic upscaled AI version. Compared with the original I think it’s a great improvement.

I don’t think that’s upscaled, or it’s the worst AI ever.
It looks more like something you ask AI to create based on something, because some of the elements are in wrong places or missing from the upscale.

There are enough similarities to suggest that it might be one of the worst upscales ever though. One of the most embarassing ones is how stars, which are supposed to be distant spots of light through fog, are now planets or moons (entirely different astronomical objects), and they are somehow hanging in the atmosphere fighting the gravity, and one planet is missing half of its size, and another one is attached to that mountain like a fungus or something…?  Crazy

At least the image is good for laughs, so it does serve some purpose.

I guess it also raises an interesting philosophical question: if you “upscale” something called “Starry Night” and remove all stars from it, is it a different interpretation of “Starry Night” that challenges the viewer, or is it simply “Night” as there are no stars in it.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Based on my own experimentations with AI upscaling, I’ve found there are styles it works for and styles it does not. Pixel art is generally a bad fit for upscaling, as the models rarely know what those chunky pixels are meant to represent despite you as a human knows it.

Line art is generally something that works well, so game like Larry 7: Love for Sail would be a relatively good candidate for scaling. Generally speaking, cartoonish art seems to scale better, but if you go towards a more expressive look, then the models are more than likely to not understand (like in that Starry Night example. The AI models just doesn’t understand the expressiveness of Van Gogh, but is trying to find shapes from forms that are meant to express something entirely different)

This really is the reason why the AI upscaled Blade Runner looked so bad. As humans, we can read the original 3D renders better and the compressed quality tied to actual details adds more characteristics to the art. AI however just saw flaws to be removed, but couldn’t figure out what are flaws, what are details and with what they should be replaced with.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

GateKeeper - 22 December 2023 01:46 AM

There are enough similarities to suggest that it might be one of the worst upscales ever though. One of the most embarassing ones is how stars, which are supposed to be distant spots of light through fog, are now planets or moons (entirely different astronomical objects), and they are somehow hanging in the atmosphere fighting the gravity, and one planet is missing half of its size, and another one is attached to that mountain like a fungus or something…?  Crazy

That’s the thing - in the original painting the spheres of light are ambiguous. We don’t know what each of them are (stars? moon? clouds? a setting sun?) and the AI goes crazy at that. It wants to turn the brushstrokes into something, when what matters is the artist’s feeling, their impressions and their desire to express those feelings. AI can have an intellectual understanding of those things and what generally appeals and what doesn’t, but struggles with any more than that.

It’s the same with pixel art. The pixels are arranged to create an overall impression of what they’re trying to capture within those limitations. Trying to “smooth” the pixels doesn’t create a better image, and in my view muddies it and makes it flat with no depth.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Charophycean - 21 December 2023 05:42 PM

Each to their own.

Perhaps you’re both just cave-dwellers who prefer chunky pixels to smooth, beautiful hi-res graphics.

(Where’s rtrooney? He’d back me up on this)

Well, maybe not. It’s one thing to dislike pixelated graphics in a game. I think it’s a bad design choice. But it’s one the designer made. The most obvious result of the design choice is that I won’t be purchasing the game.

However, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte was painted from 1884 to 1886. It’s Georges Seurat’s most famous work, and is probably the best know example of the style know as pointillism. It’s also on display at the Art Institute here in Chicago, and as such I’ve had the ability to see it many times. If someone were to ask AI to recreate this masterpiece by removing the one element that makes the painting unique, and then try to pass off this recreation as “Better than the original,” I would be greatly upset.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Very cool! I have friends who often turn their nose up at older games due to what they call “a lack of graphics”. Feels like this could be a great way to bring them up to more modern standards for those who prefer it that way.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crumpets - 23 December 2023 06:25 AM

Very cool! I have friends who often turn their nose up at older games due to what they call “a lack of graphics”. Feels like this could be a great way to bring them up to more modern standards for those who prefer it that way.

I don’t think that’s the case at all. I, for one, am quite happy with older games that use a pixelated design by default. What I find irritating is modern games that use “retro-style” pixelation as a design choice.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top