• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #80: The Night of the Rabbit

Total Posts: 2076

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Sefir - 26 October 2023 07:13 PM

You can play with Junior though! Smile

Which was hilarious, because by that time I was pretty sure Junior was in fact a statue, or just some stone which his crazy “dad” was carrying around Smile Why I enjoyed this chapter, it brought some Monty Pythonesque mayhem into a more-or-less predictable fairy tale.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Alright, I caught up on both segments!

I liked the visuals to begin with, but Mousewood at night is something else! Very beautiful and mysterious place - love all the moonlight scenes and all the green glow. Really fairy-tale-like.

I think the story picked up bit now, especially with the appearance of the “creepy four” that, for some unexplained reason, reminded me of old covers for Wizard of Oz series… The whole thing, I suppose, is a bit Wizard of Oz-ish.

I find quests still a tad too “run everyone’s errands-heavy”. We have to do SO MUCH for everyone around, despite the game raising the pressure and occasionally reminding us that “we have to hurry” or “we don’t have much time”, and yet we still have time to gather ingredients for a cake and deliver it to the party. I feel like the game subverts itself by setting up premise that we’re supposed to be this crucial cog in the magic machine of this world and, apparently, there were no apprentices for a long time, and then ... beat us over the head with cooking, gathering, delivering, and doing all kinds of small chores for just about anyone we meet. It definitely lowers the stakes in the adventure, and I don’t feel any kind of urgency/danger/strong engagement in the MAIN quest, because I get side-tracked with small things every step of the way.

Not to mention that some of those solutions are way out there - we have to make peppered cheese fondue for the guard to get berries? Really? PEPPERED CHEESE FONDUE?? Feels like an attempt to reduce a substantial inventory more than anything…

I find that I really like these small forays into different worlds through portals, even if the puzzle element in them is a lot easier. They are beautiful and peculiar and fascinating, and at least I’m not washing someone’s dishes in them.

I also want to remark on the fantastic UI this game has. If I want to – I don’t have to touch anything but the mouse, there are two ways for everything, and it’s just very intuitive – I’m always surprised how many games, even now, still struggle with this component that has been perfected over many a game.

I absolutely love voice-work in this game. I also enjoyed Leprechaun character, and, just like Lady K, I LOVE how Anja calls us all kinds of sweet (literally) names. As far as Quartets - Meh, I prefer Pac-Man instead Wink But really, I thought it was fun for a couple of times. Don’t think I want to try to play with everyone.

So far this is a very pleasant experience but where the game consistently breaks its own pace with setting up a magical adventure and then make me run coffee/deliver packages/bake something instead - which lowers the importance of what Jerry is supposed to be doing in the first place ( I guess if we have time to collect jokes for the show - we aren’t really in a hurry, right?) and some rather silly particular puzzles here and there. I do feel, however, that everything ratcheted up a notch by the end of this section, so maybe we get some epic last parts (however many there are left).

P.S. Moths are truly creepy AF. Stuff of nightmares in real life or fiction.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m a bit confused about my current situation. I got one other spell and then I… returned home? Was this supposed to be the stopping point, or we will get another spell? I continued playing since I remembered there were supposed to be two more spells and the third tree quest ended all too soon anyway — once again, just a few puzzles in a world where nothing has changed, the portal quest was also very easy, and then there were only a couple of cutscenes.

EDIT Removed the spoilers for the next chapter. I did get all four spells after all.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Doom,
In addition to Advice Seeker (the journal), you should have the Rock Whisperer, Greengrow, Fox’s Cunning, and Glimmer of Hope spells.  I stopped after I got back from the portal behind the moths.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel, oh right, thank you! The quest for the third spell was so brief that I forgot about it (I had collected the nut by the time it started, so all I had to do was to scare the fox and follow it to the tree). Very short chapter, the game does need a better balance.

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 October 2023 03:35 PM

I stopped after I got back from the portal behind the moths.

Yes, that’s the spot.  Thumbs Up

Doom - 30 October 2023 04:13 PM

The quest for the third spell was so brief that I forgot about it (I had collected the nut by the time it started, so all I had to do was to scare the fox and follow it to the tree). Very short chapter, the game does need a better balance.

And this is why I only gave you just a week to finish them as opposed of the previous ones where I gave you 10+ days.  Wink

I have to say, I did not remember Rockwhisperer being literally the best spell that Jerry has. It can be used in many, many hotspots, as opposed to all the other ones that are only usable in extremely specific cases. ...

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

Apologies for not being able to check back in lately. 

I have the 3rd spell and think I have an idea on getting access to the 4th portal.  I’ve been taking some time to catch up on all the collectibles.  I have just about everything but don’t know about getting the Quartets achievement as I seem to suck at playing that.  Even if I get out to an early lead, there’s usually one wrong move and I’m done for Embarassed

Many thanks luckyloser for the IMDB reference for Peter Marinker.  I should go back and watch “Labyrinth” to see if I can spot him.

I’ll have more thoughts to share later on, perhaps when all is wrapped up…

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Keybordz - 31 October 2023 03:48 PM

I have just about everything but don’t know about getting the Quartets achievement as I seem to suck at playing that.  Even if I get out to an early lead, there’s usually one wrong move and I’m done for Embarassed

I THINK you just have to play with everyone, not actually win everyone…..

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Most of us made it (and quite easily) this far, so It is time to move on!! Since last time, we managed to learn another 2 spells, hunt a very cute fox, give inspiration to a heartbroken poet, find new friends among giant insectoids, save an expedition to the Pole, find that the Moths call the Marquis “The Cold One” (any thoughts on that btw?) and find the reason the Crows attack Mousewood. I must say, I like all the environmental messages the game gives thus far, both with the crows, what the 4 Serpents each represent as things of value in the modern world, etc….

New tasks and dangers await us!! It is time to face our foes and let the plot move forward! Some help from the Magician of Mousewood (who personally is a FAR more likeable and superior character than the Marquis) will be crucial in this chapter. You have a week (until the 7th of November) to defeat your 4 enemies, finish your training with the Magician of Mousewood and open the 5th portal tree. Stop as soon as you can when you enter.

Until then, may your true love always be by your side.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Some noteable moments from last week:

The gorgeous world of the Foxes. I loved the eastern aesthetics and I wish we had some more time there.

Ok, sure, we tricked the Moths into making them bellieve we are insects ourselves, but other than that they were very eager to help.
[/url]

A beautiful moment.

Angering an ancient God (by far the best statue in the game btw), just to produce electricity is the most Jerry thing Jerry ever did. It reminded me a similar memorable moment from the Book of Unwritten Tales where you had to mock the Gods, standing next to the place you wanted the lightning to strike.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sorry, I am still here. I learned two spells and I know I an way behind you, but I will try to catch up.

I didn’t enjoy Chapter 2 very much, too much errands, but I loved Chapter 3.

I am sorry I have no time to comment more about the game. I really love secundary characters and I think they make this game remarkable.

Anyone else is in love with Anja?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

walas74 - 02 November 2023 12:31 AM

Anyone else is in love with Anja?

Yes, she’s such a sweetie!  Laughing

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I finally managed to play a lot so now I have four spells, I travelled through four portal trees and I am back to the real world.

When the polar whale showed up was amazing! And I love this dialog: “Jerry, you are a moth… even if one cannot always see your wings”.

“The Cold One?” Well, the moths acussed him of bringing the cold, or I think I remember they said that…

It cost me a lot to get the dandelion seeds… Never thought I should wait to the night to get the spiderweb…

I will keep catching up tomorrow!

P.S Relly weird! I could never play the game with the option of opening the inventory using the mouse wheel. And then, when I got to the Polar Whale screen, I couldn’t open my inventory at the bottom left, so my last try was changing again to the mouse wheel… and it worked! I thought I was stucked forever. Software works in mysteriuos ways…

P.S.S I couldn’t get all the dew drops… I guess my mistake was trying to get the one in the mushrooms stair AFTER making it grow. The mouse pointer didn’t allow me to get the drew drop as it kept changing to climb up where the moth was…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I finished the chapter and I’m now in the fifth tree with the Fox and Mr. Toad. The game is getting pretty surreal — which I expected by this point, but still wished the original story lasted for longer, there were too many of those “it’s your subconsciousness”, “the world is made of your fears and memories”, etc. tropes in games and movies lately, can’t we just simply have a good old fairy tale for once? As it is it felt depressive, with empty locations, closed doors, the fog, disturbing music, somehow I always feel uncomfortable leaving things in this state, like it’s my fault. Or maybe I’m overdramatising)

Again, didn’t have much trouble with puzzles except for the one I mentioned before: catching the fortuneteller lizard which I practically solved by trial and error without knowing what I was doing while also trying to avoid glitches — at one point the lizard just refused to catch the bug and it was flying non-stop accompanied by an awful sound from the antenna, so I had to reenter the location to restart it. It did feel satisfactory to catch them, but the whole subplot was kinda forced and undeveloped, and those lizards never felt like real danger to me.

walas74 - 05 November 2023 01:55 AM

P.S.S I couldn’t get all the dew drops… I guess my mistake was trying to get the one in the mushrooms stair AFTER making it grow. The mouse pointer didn’t allow me to get the drew drop as it kept changing to climb up where the moth was…

I think I missed like 10 drops and 2 card games. Hopefully those achievements don’t open some super-important story parts. But even if they do, replaybility is always welcomed.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I travelled through the fifth portal so I am finally up to date just in time!

Tomorrow I will post more, now it is time to sleep…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top