• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyDaleFlorus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finally finished the 4th Chapter. I agree that this chapter was less creepy but more sad than the previous one. The riddles of the dream were not up to the ones in Morton’s lab imho, while the pictures-on-the-wall idea was interesting (reminded me a bit of Gorogoa), the implementation was not ideal. For someone like me that wanted to watch every possible interaction between young Eddie, her husband and his monther, it had a lot of backtracking and many times, it was so insignificant that was not really worth it. The Teddy Bear was absolute cutie and I totally did my best to warm its heart (also got the relevant achievement Wink ).

Our record is not ideal!! Sure, we are 3/3 on tentacles destroyed, but 1/3 on tennants saved!!

Also, I cannot think about HOW all these are going to get explained to the police when this is over! The protagonist literally druged an old lady (along with the rest of her friends) and she died!!

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

RL is starting to take a toll on my gaming time. Have not started Chapter 4 yet. Will catch up when I can.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

As old Edie sailed away in her knitting chair, she seemed ready to move on to whatever was next for her and also managed to leave Victor with some kind reassurances about his upcoming fatherhood.

It’s time for us to move on to Chapter 5, which begins with this quote by Friedrich Nietzsche:
“Battle not with monsters,
lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.”

This chapter is the longest in the game because it contains the dreams of both of the remaining tenants.  If you’ve already read the notes on the bulletin board in the basement, you might have noticed that the notes with their names are pinned together.  Think about what this might suggest as the chapter unfolds.

I’m going to extend the playing time to 10 days, which will bring us to Sun., April 28.  This will give our stragglers some time to get caught up and to figure out some very interesting and unique puzzles.  Back to dreamland, everyone!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1267

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Great!

Les’s spy more dreams this weekend…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Hello all,

Just finished Chapter 5! There were some challenging puzzles here, made worse, in our opinion, through the de-encentivization of travel time limiting our desire to explore alternate solutions. Swapping between the dreams was very cumbersome, due to there only being 1 entry/exit point per dream. This was further compounded by the need to frequently shrink/expand, and the slow travel speed in general - but especially when small. True, the creator added some fast travel through the witch and, later, as a giant. But only in Selma’s dream. These fast travel options also seemed to arrive after we had figured out a lot of the puzzles. Oh and the lonnnnnnnng travel time when in the vampire’s stomach!

There were some fun little details in this chapter we really enjoyed, and gave us a good appreciation for the creator’s artwork Smile. If you look through the telescope with the dream helmet on, you get a unique screen. The set up of Willard’s apartment made us think of Rear Window, the Hitchcock movie. Though we did not sense any other parallels. Another fun detail was the use of broccoli on the giant map Yum !

We found the pixie interaction just kind of odd. Felt like a joke we were really missing there.

Really enjoyed our duping the Pumpkins into thinking we were the Pumpkin King. We used the forked branch. There was no outcome or achievement from these, aside from the fun humor Smile.

Overall, the puzzles were a bit unguided feeling at times for us, especially in Willard’s dream because many of the areas felt difficult to access or see. We found those crevices in the back just by stumbling around shrunk Pan. Though the lasers later pointed them out. We did not expect that Willard was the organ thief Gasp.

In terms of the dream psyches we assume Willard had wings in his dream as antithetical to being wheelchair bound in person. Selma, in real life, seemed quite disturbed by being intruded upon by others, perhaps a paranoia refleced with the screens watching her? Could be overthinking this. Though, to be fair, I would be paranoid if people wandered into my apartment while I was home.

Looking forward to the next chapter and hearing how others enjoyed this one!

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Finding this chapter very hard so far. Every time i get to progress i get stuck again for an hour or so. Until this chapter there were some smart puzzles. Now it feels like the creators didn’t want to give any significant tips for the puzzles. Other than that this chapter is the most tedious so far having to get large and small to move and trying stuff takes long time because of that. Not really enjoying the lack of direction at this chapter. I think its the weakest so far.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Nico2021 - 21 April 2024 04:20 PM

Now it feels like the creators didn’t want to give any significant tips for the puzzles.

^ Yes! I kept hoping talking to the same characters hoping for a clue. And there were very few clues, visual or character, in Willard’s dream. This was a chapter we needed a few nudges on - especially given the below quote.

...this chapter is the most tedious so far having to get large and small to move and trying stuff takes long time because of that.

Yes, I agree with this!

Not really enjoying the lack of direction at this chapter. I think its the weakest so far.

In hindsight, this one feels the most disconnected from the central plot. Each of the other chapters felt like it move us forward. This almost felt like an aside?

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I was playing Chapter 5 this weekend and I still haven’t finished. It is long indeed, and with a lot of walking. I will probably finish it tomorrow night.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw. We will soon be starting the next episode, which will put be three behind. And I don’t see RL letting me catch up anytime soon. I enjoyed what I was able to finish, and thank LadyK for leading the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Played another hour today and no progress at all. Need some help.

I still haven’t managed to get Shelma to sleep. Do i need to enter her dream to be able to finish Willard dream or i can finish them separate? Trying to annoy her with the radio but she disconnected the ringing bell to her door. Also trying to find her phone number with no success.

At willard’s dream i have both the prism mirror and the prism rod and abyss said i need to blind the eyes with the rod. I found out that the eyes are the cameras. I have tried every possible combination in the dream without success. Also tried to turn off the cameras from basement still no success.

What is there i m missing, i m going crazy.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Nico,
To get Selma to sleep, you need to get her annoyed 4 times.  The elevator alarm, Martin’s stereo, and entering her apartment to use the phone will get her to use the phone to call Mr. Morton or the police, then you can gas her from the basement.

Regarding blinding the eyes, you’ll need something that looks like a scepter.  (I think it’s called a staff.)  Have you created the red laser beam and made the gaps in both the right and left corners of the main portal room in Martin’s dream?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I agree that Martin’s dream is a tough one.  I spent a long time trying out different laser configurations.  I also got squashed once.

I’m sorry you have to drop out, Tim.  Hopefully this thread will help you get through it when you have more time.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2024 02:18 PM

I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw. We will soon be starting the next episode, which will put be three behind. And I don’t see RL letting me catch up anytime soon. I enjoyed what I was able to finish, and thank LadyK for leading the game.

Forgive me for asking, but what does RL stand for? Something about rehabilitation after your surgery? I hope you get better and be able to finish the game the moment you are ok.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

RL is real life, Walas.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 April 2024 06:59 PM

RL is real life, Walas.

Thanks, you learn something new every day.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top