• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond the edge of owlsguard review.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im back in adventure game mode and finally decided to give this a go.

I have completed chapter 1, and i like the game so far but do not love it yet. The animation and design is charming. The voice acting is mostly ok to good, a little to disney channel voice acting for me though. I like that you can die, but the puzzles were really simple and im hoping for more. My biggest complaint is the story, i feel it goes from one plot point to the next too quickly. The main character seems to go from worrying about his parents to caring about ancient documents in a blink of an eye. Just tonanlly inconsistent. 

Overall i am enjoying the game though, and anyone who is interested feel free to join me.

7.5/10 so far.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I’m not sure if I beat chapter 2 or at the tail-end of it, I am selling a ship which is becoming very tedious, trying not to hit things. Also the pixel hunting in this game is pretty ridiculous. There has been three times where I was lost and not because of being confused about a puzzle but because you literally have to scroll over just a certain part of the screen to find something that really doesn’t look like anything. For instance you have to get a bar of soap except there is no bar soap, so you just look at a fountain and get the bar soap. how hard would it have been to draw a bar soap on the edge of a fountain? There are two more puzzle chains where you have to randomly scroll over the floor, there is nothing that makes you believe there would be anything on the floor, it just happens to be a hotspot needed for no reason. one is to use the bar of soap to make it slippery and the other is to lay a scarf down, to quiet your footsteps. For the record the puzzle chains in concept here are actually pretty great. The issue is the developer didn’t get the last 20% completed to make them logical, which is very frustrating to me.

also like I said there’s a salling component to the end of this chapter and it’s quite difficult, especially if you’re trying to get the trophy for not bumping into anything. So this also becomes a pixel hunt of sorts where you have to click on the ocean in just the right spot, so your ship doesn’t bump into anything. plus there are floating rocks to make it like Frogger.

I enjoyed the voice acting more in this chapter and the story is starting to come together even though like I said some of it seems like the main character completely forgot about his parents and now is just off to a Mysterious Island, while his parents are trapped in a cave in the mole Village. I have a feeling that they are not there anymore, but it would have been nice to have a scene in chapter one or two that actually explains if they’ve been taking prisoner somewhere else. Bc as of now he has abandoned them.

For the record even though this is coming off negative, I am enjoying the game, but it’s a classic example of this is a decent game screaming to become a great game. To me this is an example of a developer who has tremendous amounts of talent but did not get to the finish line, at least so far to me.

Also the vibe of this game from the art Direction, to the voice acting, puzzle design and just overall vibe reminds me a lot of King’s Quest 5.

So far 6.5/10 mostly because of the pixel hunting that does not have to be here if a little more effort was taken.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 March 2024 09:22 AM

For the record even though this is coming off negative, I am enjoying the game, but it’s a classic example of this is a decent game screaming to become a great game. To me this is an example of a developer who has tremendous amounts of talent but did not get to the finish line, at least so far to me.

Also the vibe of this game from the art Direction, to the voice acting, puzzle design and just overall vibe reminds me a lot of King’s Quest 5.

So far 6.5/10 mostly because of the pixel hunting that does not have to be here if a little more effort was taken.

That pretty much sums up what I thought of the game. Everything was so promising when the screenshots came out and I was hoping for something like a cross between Inherit the Earth, Kyrandia and KQ5. Great idea and set-up but unfortunately I found the writing and general quality of the game to be less than great, and as the game went on I lost interest.

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 15 March 2024 07:03 PM
Jdawg445 - 15 March 2024 09:22 AM

That pretty much sums up what I thought of the game. Everything was so promising when the screenshots came out and I was hoping for something like a cross between Inherit the Earth, Kyrandia and KQ5. Great idea and set-up but unfortunately I found the writing and general quality of the game to be less than great, and as the game went on I lost interest.

Im still interested, I completed chapter 3 and found the puzzles and storytelling to be better here. Although there was still a lot of pixel hunting which was not very fun.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I remember loving this game up until a certain point, I think it was the long final chapter, when certain things happened and the quality of the story and gameplay fell off a cliff.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 20 March 2024 01:11 PM

I remember loving this game up until a certain point, I think it was the long final chapter, when certain things happened and the quality of the story and gameplay fell off a cliff.

I have found the gameplay throughout the whole game to be some what subpar. a lot of very interesting puzzle chain ideas that were not fully Incorporated satisfyingly to me. Like I said especially in chapter one there was quite a few times where you randomly would have to click on a certain spot on the screen for no apparent reason, like a random floorboard. For example one of the inventory items you need is a bar soap. the bar of soap is on the fountain, but it is actually not there lol. the only way you can find it was to look at the fountain and then the character just magically took the bar of soap out of thin air. I was like how hard could it have been to draw a bar soap on the edge of the fountain, as a visual cue to pick up the object in the environment. To me that is very strange design for no apparent reason. That is just one example in a host of other issues. I do believe this developer has lots of talent but something is just off here.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m a bit surprised reading all the criticism as I really enjoyed our unofficial playthrough of the game back in the day (as well as everyone involved from what I recall). There were some downsides here and there, but for the most part it felt very intelligent, well-thought and executed, the world was believable and the story never got boring (despite I’m not a fan of anthropomorphism in my games). I had a lot of fun, especially with the interface — there were so many unique responses to our actions, while the deaths were cool in an oldschool way (even when expected).

And puzzles always gave me some challenge compared to 90% of other modern games. Yes, they weren’t always challenging, and sometimes they came up with pixelhunting — I recall maybe 3 instances that got on my nerves and even made me look up for help. But that also felt oldschool, and there were plenty of other puzzles that brought something new to the gameplay, especially during the last parts. All in all it felt like a lost classics back from the early 1990s, and I can forgive some awkward moments just for that.

Also it was made by just one German guy who did everything from writing to graphics to music to animation… And he made an incredible use of the AGS engine. I would be very, very proud if I came up with something even remotely as good as this game. Really hope he gets all the recognition he deserved.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I agree with Doom. I liked the game a lot: story, writing and puzzles. I found the pixel hunting annoying and the story got a little weird near the end. But I have absolutely no problems with the protagonist automatically picking up an invisible bar of soap on the edge of a small fountain.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The bar of soap is odd bc it is literally the only item in the game at least so far that is completely invisible, odd design choice to me. I honestly think the story is also very rushed. Im enjoying the game enough, but yeah i was hoping for a lot more.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 March 2024 09:48 PM

The bar of soap is odd bc it is literally the only item in the game at least so far that is completely invisible, odd design choice to me. I honestly think the story is also very rushed. Im enjoying the game enough, but yeah i was hoping for a lot more.

This is the THIRD time you’ve mentioned the invisible bar of soap.
I get it. The invisible bar of soap should be visible. Its invisibility annoys you.
I played the game and the invisible bar of soap didn’t annoy me at all.
I’m afraid we have to disagree about the invisible bar of soap.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 22 March 2024 10:05 PM
Jdawg445 - 22 March 2024 09:48 PM

This is the THIRD time you’ve mentioned the invisible bar of soap.
I get it. The invisible bar of soap should be visible. Its invisibility annoys you.
I played the game and the invisible bar of soap didn’t annoy me at all.
I’m afraid we have to disagree about the invisible bar of soap.

And i might say it a 4th time lol. The dev animates little sparkly rocks but doesnt draw a simple rectangular bar of soap.

I will say i have got a kick out of the design of the machines though, and death scenes.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 22 March 2024 08:01 PM

I’m a bit surprised reading all the criticism as I really enjoyed our unofficial playthrough of the game back in the day (as well as everyone involved from what I recall). There were some downsides here and there, but for the most part it felt very intelligent, well-thought and executed, the world was believable and the story never got boring (despite I’m not a fan of anthropomorphism in my games). I had a lot of fun, especially with the interface — there were so many unique responses to our actions, while the deaths were cool in an oldschool way (even when expected).

And puzzles always gave me some challenge compared to 90% of other modern games. Yes, they weren’t always challenging, and sometimes they came up with pixelhunting — I recall maybe 3 instances that got on my nerves and even made me look up for help. But that also felt oldschool, and there were plenty of other puzzles that brought something new to the gameplay, especially during the last parts. All in all it felt like a lost classics back from the early 1990s, and I can forgive some awkward moments just for that.

Also it was made by just one German guy who did everything from writing to graphics to music to animation… And he made an incredible use of the AGS engine. I would be very, very proud if I came up with something even remotely as good as this game. Really hope he gets all the recognition he deserved.

Aww being developed by one guy, it makes more sense now. Why some puzzles are visually clued well, like how the main character has to get the iron boots from the suit of armor. that was a very excellently visually clued puzzle. But the constant using items on random pieces of the ground got tiresome.  off the top of my head use the bar soap on a random shipboard, use the scarf on a random piece of ground, use this snail slime on a random piece of the ground.  I have gotten used to just randomly going over pieces of the ground but I don’t think that’s a cleverly designed puzzle chain that needs to be constantly repeated.

Like I said my big issue is actually the story. it’s about two or three interesting ideas all crammed into one game that’s too short to properly convey any of it. so we go from one plot point to the next without earning character reactions. I feel like the main character goes from trying to rescue his parents to basically forgetting about them too quickly. The female wolf is basically nothing more than a character to give Exposition dumps. at the end of chapter 3 she explains how the world is actually magical and it’s fading back into the real world, that Scene goes on for 10 minutes, once again it was like the developer was just trying to rush through the story and he invented the character to explain what was going on to the player and not much more. Even with your owl pal, i expected there to be more puzzles that involved both of them and their relationship is really flat to me.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 March 2024 10:27 PM

And i might say it a 4th time lol. The dev animates little sparkly rocks but doesnt draw a simple rectangular bar of soap.

Okidoki. Here’s your bar of soap. A carbolic one. For washing your mouth. Tongue

I will say i have got a kick out of the design of the machines though, and death scenes.

The game has a lot going for it. You choose to concentrate on its flaws and alleged flaws.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 23 March 2024 08:42 AM
Jdawg445 - 22 March 2024 10:27 PM

Okidoki. Here’s your bar of soap. A carbolic one. For washing your mouth. Tongue

The game has a lot going for it. You choose to concentrate on its flaws and alleged flaws.

Great maybe we can photoshop it into the game. Like i said dev has lots of talent, just the game did not come together for me so far, i still have to complete the last chapter, but most people seem to not like the last chapter, so we will see.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 March 2024 01:54 PM

Great maybe we can photoshop it into the game. Like i said dev has lots of talent, just the game did not come together for me so far, i still have to complete the last chapter, but most people seem to not like the last chapter, so we will see.

I am one of those people.  Shifty Eyed

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Well I guess I encountered a game breaking bug and so my journey ends. I will let you all tell me if I’m wrong, but I’m trying to move a car wreck near the end of the game and I put a brick under the hydraulic lift but no matter what I do the lift still drops even with a brick underneath. Am I missing something?? because I eventually looked at a walk through and they say that’s all you need

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top