• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Patreon Tiers

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Hi,

Any chance for a patreon tier between 1$ and 5$? For me 1$ is too little, but a 5$ is a bit too much. It’s a bit like if you had 5$ and then immediately 25$ tier - that’s the same proportionate difference like between 1 and 5. I think a 3$ tier would be cool. 1$ is almost symbolic, especially when you consider Patreon comission, it like what, 70-80 cents?

Regards,
Simplex

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve certainly contemplated it and there’s been one before. I’ll give it another thought, in a way $3 could be a better setup to have versus $1, as you say most goes to Patreon. Then again I’m sure there’s folks that would mind the $1 tier disappearing.

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

So it’s not possible to have a 1, 3 and 5$ tiers at the same time.
Perhaps a poll would allow people to express their opinion on whether they could accept replacing 1$ tier with 2 or 3$ if there is no other option.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ivo -

I was a Patron before. I dropped out after two years for various reasons. I would like to contribute again, but, a) I don’t want to do it via Patreon, and b) I don’t want to use PayPal. There must be a way for me to sign onto a dedicated site, and simply make a one-time contribution with my credit card. I’m not interested in a 15% discount, although coffee mugs are greatly appreciated.

Hope you can make this happen.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Perhaps they could set up an account on Ko-fi?

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Simplex - 04 January 2022 03:23 PM

So it’s not possible to have a 1, 3 and 5$ tiers at the same time.
Perhaps a poll would allow people to express their opinion on whether they could accept replacing 1$ tier with 2 or 3$ if there is no other option.

Oh it is, I wasn’t stating you couldn’t have those different tiers. You can have as many as you’d like, there just needs to be a certain thought process behind it.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 04 January 2022 03:46 PM

Ivo -

I was a Patron before. I dropped out after two years for various reasons. I would like to contribute again, but, a) I don’t want to do it via Patreon, and b) I don’t want to use PayPal. There must be a way for me to sign onto a dedicated site, and simply make a one-time contribution with my credit card. I’m not interested in a 15% discount, although coffee mugs are greatly appreciated.

Tim

I’ll have another look, perhaps I can make a simple Stripe like option (never fully looked into the requirements for services like this).

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 04 January 2022 03:46 PM

Ivo -

Tim

Why don’t you do what I do Tim?
Here in the UK, using Patreon, I’d get charged bank transfer fees for dealing in a foreign currency which I object to. Had a word with Ivo and I now do a once a year bank transfer direct to his bank account and this has worked for 3 years now. The only downside is that I can’t be a member of the Patreon’s website but I’m not bothered by that. Ivo does, however, grant me membership of the Patreon forum here though Thumbs Up

In case Ivo reads this current year’s “fees” due next month Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Close!

Can’t understand why they can’t set up a linkable site within AG that will allow donations. Or, barring that, set up a GoFundMe page in AG’s name that can accept donations. I’m sure they will figure it out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 04 January 2022 04:08 PM

Had a word with Ivo and I now do a once a year bank transfer direct to his bank account.

You must know Ivo far better than I do. I’m not sure I would feel comfortable sending a check to an individual who is representing a “quasi” corporate entity rather than sending a check to the entity, itself. No mistrust of Ivo intended.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 04 January 2022 09:15 PM
Jabod - 04 January 2022 04:08 PM

Had a word with Ivo and I now do a once a year bank transfer direct to his bank account.

You must know Ivo far better than I do. I’m not sure I would feel comfortable sending a check to an individual who is representing a “quasi” corporate entity rather than sending a check to the entity, itself. No mistrust of Ivo intended.

Tim

I don’t send a cheque Tim, I do a bank transfer. And I think that’s far safer and more secure than going through a third party (Patreon in this particular case) that I know nothing about, adds an extra layer to the payment, and takes a cut in the process.
I don’t actually “know” Ivo. Just sent him a PM and we took it from there. Simple really Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Totally respect anyone’s way of wanting to do this really, if anything we’re grateful for anything we receive. (for clarity sake, I’m Ivo). There is no further grant organisation behind it, it’s essentially me with amazing support from Jack.

I am looking into Stripe as an option, which does seem like it has some promise. As with anything implementing this takes a good chunk of time, there’s a module I could purchase that helps with speeding up this integration (but that obviously costs money). I’ll dive deeper this weekend.

By the way, @Simplex, you could also just pick indicate you’d like to contribute an amount of your choice (e.g. the $3). There are a few folks that do that, I obviously ensure I disable advertising for them seperately.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That makes sense. Perhaps transfers are easier within the EU. AG must have a banking account somewhere. They have to have a vehicle for accepting money from advertisers and affiliates. And it has to be able to pay bills. GoFundMe, like Patreon, would take a cut, so that probably wasn’t a useful suggestion. They’re smart people. They will figure out how to get it done.

Edit: Ivo - I hope your weekend search finds a way to make credit card donations as easy as they should be. And I know that everyone, be it Patreon, GoFundMe, or a basic credit card transaction, will take a cut. Objective is to give the greatest number of people the best opportunity to make a donation. I would send you the one-time $15/month, $180 contribution today. Just not via Patreon or PayPal.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

CaliMonk - 05 January 2022 04:10 PM

By the way, @Simplex, you could also just pick indicate you’d like to contribute an amount of your choice (e.g. the $3). There are a few folks that do that, I obviously ensure I disable advertising for them seperately.

I was not aware of that. Thanks!

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 05 January 2022 04:11 PM

Edit: Ivo - I hope your weekend search finds a way to make credit card donations as easy as they should be. And I know that everyone, be it Patreon, GoFundMe, or a basic credit card transaction, will take a cut. Objective is to give the greatest number of people the best opportunity to make a donation. I would send you the one-time $15/month, $180 contribution today. Just not via Patreon or PayPal.

I’ve made some progress here, as with all things it takes time and efforts but I am seriously exploring this. More on this soon as I unravel things.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

CaliMonk - 11 January 2022 11:27 AM

I’ve made some progress here, as with all things it takes time and efforts but I am seriously exploring this. More on this soon as I unravel things.

No rush. I’m just thinking that the more options you give for people to make donations, the more donations you are likely to get. I don’t know what the mechanics were, but AG used to have a store that sold games. Maybe those mechanics would work for donations. Except I would be “buying a mug and one year of ad-free viewing” for $180. Those that don’t have a bias against Patreon and/or PayPal could still make their donations that way. Same promotions levels would exist.

While I say “No Rush,” the fact that the donation request is as the top of page one, makes it seem that things are serious.

No matter what you do, not everyone has either the desire or the ability to donate. So you just need to make it easy for those of who will.

Maybe in the future you can hit up some of your affiliates. Maybe I can “buy” a coupon code or a key for a free game priced less than $15.00US in exchange for another year of ad-free viewing. The possibilities are endless ... once you overcome the hurdle of finding a way to accept credit cards.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top