• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #66 – Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy ~

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

This final part is long!

I think I just passed the (unintentionally?) creepiest part of the game: Lucas roaming an orphanage.

Next. Oh QTE spectacular action fight! This one really got me excited. Like most other QTEs, it did overstay its welcome. There was an awkward slapping match that made me laugh out loud.

The only misgiving I have is (possibly) coming off as if I’m laughing at the game, or the idea of liking it. It’s something I’ve had in the back of my mind since the first post and it wasn’t easy to find the right tone to talk about the whole experience.

I can see why people would put “Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy” in their top 10 list, or how it might’ve been a stepping stone: maybe on of the following works of David Cage has made your list.

Does it hold up? Some of it does. I’m glad I used a controller, it helped a lot. After a gruesome/interesting set-up, the plot got a bit convoluted, but not deep. Emotionally, it hit a couple of decent notes, a couple of sleazy notes, some cool, weird ones and some awkward ones as well.

What worked for me was seeing this game as video I rented with my friends. You went down to the video rental store, three or four kids debating which kind of movie we’d rent, the level of seriousness, or corniness. Sometimes we were joking around, just picking the weirdest title or cover we could find. This would’ve been the somewhat serious psychological thriller, with some low-key supernatural elements.

Then, fifteen minutes in, you realize you’re in the eye of the brainstorm and that brain has watched every movie you didn’t pick at the video rental store. Five minutes later, your bewildered stare alternates between your screen and the faces of your friends, who respond in similar fashion. Then you all have minor epiphany and you just roll with it.

It’s not a chore to play, the way bad movies are a chore to watch. I don’t want to see “The Room”. It’s not outsider-art, but it’s not completely schlocky either. So.. just art, maybe?

Maybe. I guess Duchamp would’ve approved.

All aboard the Cage train. Keep your characters semi-sane.

What did I like about the experience? The scene with the professor. The atmosphere in the diner, at Agatha’s, in all the different apartments. Some of the action scenes. Tyler. The first scene with Tiffany, though I’m glad I ended it the way I did. If I hadn’t, I would’ve rolled my eyes, solemn and severe. I’m glad Doom brought up Tiffany’s fate in this game: it’s probably my least favourite element of the game. Lucas, did you really hook up with Carla at the grave of the woman who died because of you? After she had been buried for.. half a day?

Dude.. your brother was right. You need help.

My favourite part of the game: Markus. That dude is legit. Role model material. Would’ve been cool to see more of him. Maybe he’s n excellent chef, or a brilliant interior decorator. Maybe he’s part of an inter-religious New York Hardcore crew. Or he likes knitting, or sculpting. I don’t know. Wish I did.

It seems I won’t be able to finish the game today. Final post, tomorrow.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Finished the game.

Even though I read about the underground mattress rendezvous, I wasn’t adequately prepared for the way that scene played out.

It’s weird that Lucas is quasi-dead? Life, death, it’s all relative, said the animated corpse of Agatha, taken over by the AI of the Purple Clan. It’s not for Tifanny, though. She’s just gone. Agatha as well, unceremoniously discarded and gone.

I think I got the best possible ending. Not sure if it’s what I wanted, or what I needed.

There was a lot about this game that was cool or fascinating, sometimes both. Other parts were eye roll inviting material. Or just.. plainly confounding. I had this expression through about 80% of the latter half of the game: Gasp

I enjoy these CPTs. Thanks for playing this game with me, everyone involved!
And a special thanks to Tenebra for hosting this playthough in a most excellent way.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m finished too.

I agree with what pretty much everyone has said above about the story descending into a mess of clichés and unbelievability. Really stopped me caring about the characters as any personality they had developed through the game (Lucas and Carla) just dissolved into nothing at then end.

I won’t recap what others have said, but I will add this: one thing that annoys me in games is when they stick a defenceless child in for no reason other to try and garner the emotions of wanting to save a child. This game must be one of the worst offenders. There is no reason for the child in the story other than to show the ideal of purity/goodness. She has no personality, does not speak, barely moves, and is literally carried around like an inventory item. (Yes, I’m aware of the word McGuffin but I just don’t like it! Wink). She could easily have been replaced by a rock.

Despite all that, I agree that the game was of its time and really does represent an attempt at something different, good and praiseworthy. It’s easy to forget how bad the stories in many other genres are, or at least were when Farenheit was released, and this game was a step on the road to better. As a hybrid it was also something that brought adventure game ideas back towards (if not into) the mainstream.

I’m glad I played it at the time and now and really enjoyed this playthrough. Tenebra was excellent, there were lots of interesting opinions and discussions to read and the game itself was something worth a lot of comment. All together a top CPT!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finished, and, boy, things escalated quickly (just when I thought they were already at a pretty intense level).

Really quick - I’d like to point out not only a tremendous physical change in Lucas, but also a tremendously fast time it took him to get over his certain attachments. Goodness gracious, Lucas, the flowers are still fresh! Although maybe that was coping? I don’t know anymore.

Sam did exactly what I was being against, so fair winds, bud. Maybe a hard minute or two, but ultimately – I think it was for the best.
Now onto action… The fight scene. I almost never use the acronym “lol”, but in this case I wanted to take it further and described it as the one from the memes – “LOL, wut?” Because that sums up how I felt about it fairly well. The amount of cheese in this game seems to triple with every chapter, and I’m all here for it. I mean that was so bad it was actually good! No, really. It was cool in the “what the hell” kind of way. Also, this was the scene where I felt like QTE’s interfered with me watching what was happening on the screen the most, so far. I feel like I missed quite a cinematic fight, and that’s too bad.

Then we went into completely kooky stuff with another clan AND The Invisibles… Oh, man. At this point it was like old Britney Spears Pepsi commercial:
“Ride,
Just enjoy the ride,
Don’t need a reason why.
Everything’s alright”

Which I totally did enjoy. Including quite unexpected but no less corny extra-steamy scene. Then there was “LOL, wut” #2, but it was a bit more anti-climactic than the previous “wuts”, mostly because it seemed easier QTE-wise and shorter than the rest. And the grand finale which was… fitting to the game, I suppose? I found it fitting.

I’m having a hard time coming up with another example of such an eclectic mix of everything under the sun in a single game. This was truly an achievement when it came to “Fahrenheit”.  David Cage made sure every single blockbuster piece of action could fit into it. And you know what? It worked in a very campy kinda way. I’d call it nonsensical pleasure or, maybe, pleasurable nonsense, either way – it was entertaining enough for me to be glad I played it. I don’t think this game was really meant to be taken seriously, and so it worked overall. Was it a masterpiece of game-making? No, it wasn’t. But, firstly, it‘s a first steppingstone for D. Cage towards a considerable improvement (he learned and got better, not just got stagnant, so as a clumsy-ish debut this is not bad at all), and there were quite a few memorable moments too, over-the-top but stylish.

QTEs sucked, as they do almost anywhere.

The music and voice-over, on the other hand, are top-notch. I really liked watching bonus content as they were shooting mo-cap scenes, and something I always enjoy – watching voice actors perform. They all did phenomenally well!

But, most importantly, I had fun participating in this CPT with everyone no matter how all-over-the-place this game was. It was interesting to read everyone takes and complaints and complimentary stuff, and while “Fahrenheit” didn’t really shake my foundations, it was a solid enough entertainment for me to have a blast with, even if talking about how crazy it was. Plus, I’m glad I revisited some nostalgic to me moments and songs, which was a nice bonus.

Thanks everyone and thank you, Tenebra, for volunteering to lead this CPT and doing an amazing job!

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Tenebra - 18 June 2021 11:17 PM

All this led me to wonder what would have happened if I had played the game today for the first time? Would I have loved it as much as I did back then? And to answer my own question… I really don’t know. And to try to answer it would be speculating, I would be guessing, and deep down that doesn’t make sense… it doesn’t make sense to me.

I asked myself the same question, and the honest answer - I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much as back in the day. I can totally see myself having the same positive but critical thoughts as I do today, but not quite the same ones as I had when I was much younger.

The pace of the game still grips me even though I knew what was going to happen, the interaction with the environment, the possibility of controlling several characters that are truly opposites, and the characters themselves, especially Lucas and Carla, but there is something else… something that is difficult for me to put into words,  that feeling of romanticism?, of hopelessness that embraces the story…  The “There is no turning back, my life will never be the same again after all, this has ruined everything. It could be a new beginning but nothing will ever be the same again”. Therein lies something special that continues to attract me to the game. I am sorry if this does not make sense.

This makes complete sense to me. I think that’s why I generally had warm feelings towards this game despite all the drawbacks - dark romanticism, a hero that was forced by the situation to be on his own, the transformation, the little things David Cage paid attention to as far as inner thoughts and development of the characters…This kind of stuff, so I understand you.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

We’ve finished with the sale of our apartment, so I now have some time to play again. I’ve just finished the third part and realize that there’s still a long way to go. I most probably won’t be able to finish the game before I go on vacation next week.

Anyway, I’m really curious to know where the story goes. The constant quick time events really just makes the experience worse for me. Most of it is easy enough since I’m using easy mode, but it’s always either distracting or frustrating.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m torn. Should I feel bad about not being able to play the game because there were some really good things about it? Or, do the reported negative aspects make me feel good that I didn’t have to play through them? The general feeling I get from reading through the comments is that a) the QTEs didn’t contribute much to the game’s storyline and b) they were a major distraction. They always, to me, have been both of those things. Why designers feel it necessary to insert them into their games is something I would like to know.

I know the game was designed as a console game. Perhaps the fact that I have never owned a console player probably played a major role in my ability to use the proper controls at the proper time. WASD, arrow keys, mouse controls??? Which to use and when to use them? In addition to never owning a console, I don’t recall ever playing an adventure originally designed for playing on a PC/Mac platform that used this control trio. I was doomed from the get-go, but appreciated that many completed the game on a PC.

I don’t know if it would have been possible to port the game to PC using a PNC interface. Overall comments, absent the negative QTE, tell me I might have enjoyed, although not loved, the game if I had been able to play it using controls I am familiar with.

Which is a lesson I’ve learned. Read the Fine Print! If the game wasn’t designed for PC/Mac, it’s probably not a game I will enjoy, even if the game is great.

Finally, kudos to our leader. I can’t say it is the best I’ve ever seen, because there have been other leaders who have led difficult-to-lead games in the past. And I don’t want to make them feel disrespected. But this is certainly in the top five. If not the top two.

The mere fact that I am writing this, despite the fact that I was not an active participant in the game, is a credit to the leader. It was interesting from beginning to end.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I completed this game when it first came out, and i thought it was an awesome concept that devolved into a complete mess by the end. Awful story, piss poor qtes and cliches everywhere. Really put me off of david cages games for a long time. I thought heavy rain was pretty good, beyond two souls was a huge step down, and I still have not tried detroit become human, yet.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 24 June 2021 08:10 PM

I completed this game when it first came out, and i thought it was an awesome concept that devolved into a complete mess by the end. Awful story, piss poor qtes and cliches everywhere. Really put me off of david cages games for a long time. I thought heavy rain was pretty good, beyond two souls was a huge step down, and I still have not tried detroit become human, yet.

I agree on all these points for this game. However I urge you to play Detroit: Became Human. That game is VERY good. It is actually one of the PS4s best selling games and highly rated. I’ve played it several times….we really need to do a CPT of that game now that it is out on the PC.

We don’t get allot of best selling AAA adventure games these days, so I’ll recommend it in the future for a CPT.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Adv_Lvr - 24 June 2021 10:03 PM

Detroit: Became Human. That game is VERY good. It is actually one of the PS4s best selling games and highly rated. I’ve played it several times….we really need to do a CPT of that game now that it is out on the PC.

Developed for PlayStation, and ported to PC. That’s exactly the scenario that made Fahrenheit unplayable for many. If you want to do a PS playthrough, do it. But do it as a stand-alone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 25 June 2021 10:09 PM
Adv_Lvr - 24 June 2021 10:03 PM

Detroit: Became Human. That game is VERY good. It is actually one of the PS4s best selling games and highly rated. I’ve played it several times….we really need to do a CPT of that game now that it is out on the PC.

Developed for PlayStation, and ported to PC. That’s exactly the scenario that made Fahrenheit unplayable for many. If you want to do a PS playthrough, do it. But do it as a stand-alone.

CPTs are not system specific. I played Fahrenheit on my IPad and it played like a dream even though I have a $2500 dollar state of the art Alienware computer I could have played it on. If I want to nominate Hotel Dusk which is only on the Nintendo DS for a CPT that’s my business. And yes, I play PS4 adventure games on my IPad using remote play. I played Detroit Became Human that way and it was amazing.

I’ve only had trouble with PC games when I’ve tried a new release on an older PC. Then when I refreshed the PC the games played perfectly.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

No where in my post did I suggest that you couldn’t nominate a non-PC game. My comment was the same as it was in the past, that nominated games that are intended to be played on specific platforms need to be identified as such when nominated.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 26 June 2021 08:34 PM

No where in my post did I suggest that you couldn’t nominate a non-PC game. My comment was the same as it was in the past, that nominated games that are intended to be played on specific platforms need to be identified as such when nominated.

Nobody nominates games intended to be played on a specific platform. For example, I’ve nominated The Shapeshifting Detective. I have only played it on IOS, for all I know, it plays like K@@@@ on a PC. It is the voters responsibility to determine if it plays on their system or not. But I BET it plays like a dream on a state of art new gaming system….

Crazy

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finally found the time to finish this game! It’s alright, but the way David Cage tries to use every movie cliché in one single game feels a bit silly and forced. Even that snowmobile ride with Lucas & Carla at the end of the game more than reminded me of The Shining. And what the template is for that asylum scene with Carla is of course just too obvious. Every other scene felt like it had been lifted out of one well known movie or another.

And the sex scenes… Just cringeworthy. I’m not a woman, but I would imagine having sex with a “cold as ice” (actually “dead”) Lucas towards the end of the game couldn’t have been a very pleasant experience… Surely Carla was faking it.Smile

The resolution to the story has been discussed a lot. I don’t think it’s that bad, although I agree it would have been enough with one “bad clan” for the story to work. Just makes things more confusing than they needed to be.

Gameplay wise I had no problems whatsoever. Remember having a lot more problems with the QTE:s when playing it on the PS2 back in the days. Don’t remember if there was a difficulty setting for the QTE:s in that version. I used the easiest setting in the Steam remastered version.

All ‘n all a pretty entertaining game, but it has its faults. I’d give it 3,5/5.

Thanks Tenebra for leading the CPT! Great job!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top