• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Been away for a long time. What to play next?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Hi!

I have been away from games for close to ten years and now I got the urge to play some new adventure games. Are there any good point and click games in the style of Broken Sword, Runaway and the likes of those classic point and click adventures that you could recommend?

It’s nice to be back. Smile

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Book of Unwritten Tales 1/2, and almost anything released by Daedalic.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Well, we always welcome that particular urge. Welcome back!

If you like Runaway and Broken Sword, there’s a fairly recent game you might enjoy: The Hand of Glory.

If you’ve been away for about 10 years, there’s a chance you might have missed the (tail end of) the Blackwell series. Actually, I would recommend browsing the entire catalogue of WadjetEye games if you haven’t already.

Personal recommendations: The Rusty Lake/Cube Escape series, The Painscreek Killings (somewhat more of a walking and deduction sim than a pure P&C), The Epsilon Outcome, Haven Moon (Myst-like), When The Past Was Around (somewhat more casual gameplay, emotional), the Bad Dream series (warning: contains hand-drawn scenes and animations of horror) and What Makes You Tick (part 1 and 2).

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Thank you @diego and @VegetableParty for the suggestions! I’ll definitely check them out! I feel like I have a lot of releases to catch up on.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2022-01-17

PM

I was a Telltale fan—their games are less puzzle-y and more “choices matter”, but if that’s your bag, cream of the crop (imho) were The Wolf Among Us and Tales From the Borderlands. (having just checked, I’m shocked how old these are now… you may already be familiar with them! They’re also possibly not what you’re after, being not so traditional.)

For classic P&C fare, I’ll second the WadjetEye recommendation. I’ve enjoyed Unavowed and Whispers of a Machine (and there’s a bunch I haven’t tried yet).

Another dev for another game (I can only apologise!).

Check out Mistmoon Falls, a weird murder mystery set in a Stardew Valley-inspired setting. Or don’t! Choices matter.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1684290/Mistmoon_Falls/
https://mistmoonfalls.com

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Magget - 09 February 2022 06:37 AM

Thank you @diego and @VegetableParty for the suggestions! I’ll definitely check them out! I feel like I have a lot of releases to catch up on.

The good news is that adventure games in general tend to age better than other genres… Smile

As for recommendations, if you haven’t played the old LucasArts classics from the ‘90s, several have gotten a “Remastered” version. There’s the Monkey Island games, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango for starters…

Otherwise, as mentioned, WadjetEye and Daedalic have a great track record in “traditional” adventure games. Anna’s Quest (by Daedalic) in particular is a stand-out game!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Kathy Rain and Whispers of a Machine are quite good too and are highly recommended. Browsing the recent Aggie award winners for best traditional adventure would be helpful as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

portmantoga - 09 February 2022 08:09 AM

For classic P&C fare, I’ll second the WadjetEye recommendation. I’ve enjoyed Unavowed and Whispers of a Machine (and there’s a bunch I haven’t tried yet).

Just an FYI, Whispers of a Machine isn’t by Wadjet Eye—it’s a joint production of Clifftop Games and Faravid Interactive, published by Raw Fury.

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

Total Posts: 1288

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Oh, please, and Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love, Gibbous: A Chtuthu Adventure and Paradigm.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1672

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Technobabylon

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If you have been gone for ten years, that means you haven’t played a game since 2012.

Rather than suggest games you should play, I suggest you look at the Aggies dating back to when you stopped playing. See what the best games were over that time span, and take it from there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2022-01-17

PM

Cicerone53 - 09 February 2022 12:42 PM
portmantoga - 09 February 2022 08:09 AM

Just an FYI, Whispers of a Machine isn’t by Wadjet Eye—it’s a joint production of Clifftop Games and Faravid Interactive, published by Raw Fury.

Oh, beg your pardon. I typed “wadjet” in steam to see what came up but didn’t check beyond that.

Another dev for another game (I can only apologise!).

Check out Mistmoon Falls, a weird murder mystery set in a Stardew Valley-inspired setting. Or don’t! Choices matter.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1684290/Mistmoon_Falls/
https://mistmoonfalls.com

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Portmantoga

To be fair, wadjet might as well be a descriptive term rather than just a brand name. If there’s one indie company that represents the professionalizing of the AGS-engine type of game it’s them.

Whispers of a Machine is a great recommendation, by the way. A finely crafted game.

@Magget

Well that was a wealth of choice. Wink If you like, let us know what you’re playing (we even have a dedicated thread for it). Whatever you’ve decided to play: I hope you (re)discover the charm of modern adventure games!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top