• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What themes would you like to see more of in adventure games?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Jdawg445: I didn’t copy her post to annoy you or anything, only to save it. Sorry, I’ll remove it now.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 17 May 2021 10:38 AM
Karlok - 17 May 2021 10:24 AM

You know what I say is true.{/quote]
NO but perhaps you perceive things differently?

Perception has nothing to do with it. I was talking FACTS.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 17 May 2021 11:14 AM

You sound like the government - state them.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/15368/P120/#173164

End of conversation.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 17 May 2021 11:04 AM

@Jdawg445: I didn’t copy her post to annoy you or anything, only to save it. Sorry, I’ll remove it now.

You dont annoy me at all. I just call em like i see it when it comes to that poster.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

All right, enough. This is ridiculous, and everyone involved in the bickering knows it.

Chrissie, some of your comments here were way out of line, and a few of the responses are barely any better. None are acceptable.

So, back on topic immediately, or this thread dies (and further recrimination seriously considered). No “last word” posts welcome.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 16 May 2021 05:24 PM
Baron_Blubba - 16 May 2021 04:57 PM

But I was asking for a subtitle to the hypothetical Laura Bow game that takes place in a care center/nursing home.

Laura Bow and the Age-old Mystery.

I love this one. Sierra were ‘masters’ of bad/good puns and wordplay, so this is splendidly fitting.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

What about an adventure game about a forum moderator’s life, like Beholder, Orwell or similar?

Dude, the stories they could tell…

P.S I like chrissie…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

PS: I like everyone here. Tone and meaning are easily mis-parsed in text based conversation, so I generally just give everyone the benefit of the doubt. What have you got to lose that way?

Anyway, here’s another topic-within-the-topic for pondering: What era might be the best for adventure games? Meaning, life in that era was most conducive toward compelling stories *for games*, and perhaps more importantly, for puzzles?
I don’t have an answer myself, but I know that I don’t enjoy solving puzzles with modern technology as much as I do with older implements and devices.
For example, while exceptions exist, I usually have an inward groan reaction to using laptops, PDAs, cell phones, computer programs, to solve puzzles. Examples would be Gabriel Knight 3 (great puzzle, but too much…I wanted to be playing outdoors, not sitting at a desk in a hotel room), Broken Sword IV (all of those rerouting logic puzzles) and games where your primary means of human interaction is via cell phone or email or IM instead of in person (but it was necessary and mostly excellently done in Syberia). These are just a few of many examples.
So much can be done from your mobile devices these days that I think it can take a lot of the adventure out of adventuring. Just like when I go on a hike or an adventure in real life, I *want* to be disconnected from the world. Broken Sword 1, 2, and 3 with a cell phone just wouldn’t work. Fate of Atlantis with a cell phone, likewise. So too The Longest Journey. Which reminds me: The tech puzzles in Dreamfall were easy and also lousy—Arcadia was so much more interesting than Stark in that game!
At the same time, maybe going too far back limits the possibilities a little bit—using all analog tools, like your classic hammers and chisels and sledgehammers and awls and bowls and ropes and etc almost exclusively. Perhaps the 1800’s and 1900-1995-ish are the best balance of analog technology and electronic technology?
I know I would love to play more detective/police games set in those times, but not so much set in the post-2000 era.

I would love to ask: At what point in history do you think technology crossed a line where, while it might have continued to increase the <i>convenience<i> of daily life, it decreased the happiness of daily life?
It’s very tangential…but hey, this thread has gone all over the place already, so why not?

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I deleted the first few posts that defied my instructions, but no more.

If you can’t play nicely, you don’t get nice things. And at this rate, some may not get to play at all much longer.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

All right, re-opened for on-topic posts only. First derailment attempt gets post deleted and/or thread shut down for good. Don’t blow it!

As far as themes go, I’d like to see a game all about puppets. Not just starring puppets, but about the nature of one’s avatar being a puppet within a game. Sort of a gaining-sentience-while-realizing-you-aren’t-in-control sort of deals.

The story could be about anything, really, and gameplay would involve finding and unlocking new playable puppet personas. But at its heart would be the puppet/puppetmaster relationship and how the protagonist is able (or unable) to reconcile being someone else’s plaything. (As indeed, all game characters are! But puppets much more obviously so.)

It would all be dressed up in a fun, lighthearted manner, not some dry deconstruction of personhood. But beneath the laughs and whimsical theatrics would be this thought-provoking question of whether or not it’s fair or right or possible to keep manipulating a character who develops thoughts and feelings and a will of their own along the way.

I’m looking forward to A Juggler’s Tale, which promises a bit of that fourth-wall-breaking element, but it seems more centered on the limitations of living with strings than really digging into what it means to be a marionette. (Though I could be wrong.)

I’d like to make it myself, really, but unless someone invents the 48-hour day, that ain’t happening any time soon. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top