• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04DarkEye

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three songs, in the moment

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

thank you, your contributions have been appreciated.

who knows, i saw the playthrough thread wasn’t gone after all, some parts of the ship are still here. i think most people left are done with this thread, but people are welcome to add to the list.. seeing the stuff people come up with has been one of the more joyous AG.com experiences.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I tend to post only when I actually have three somewhat related songs to post. And I do now. Grin

There’s a Belgian band (Brutus) I *really* want to see live and they’re playing near me on Saturday. And when I say “near me” I mean the venue is practically within walking distance.
Sadly, the gig was sold out before I could get tickets, but at least I have tickets for a festival this summer where they’ll be playing as well.

Then I got a text from my brother-in-law earlier today. He and a couple of friends did have tickets for Saturday, but one of his friends broke his foot and can’t go, so they’ve got a spare ticket… and it’s mine!

So now I’m in full “concert prep” mode, listening to all their stuff (with a particular focus on what setlist.fm says will be their likely set). And I’m also checking out the opening band, because I’ve never heard of those guys before.

This is the opening act (The Christian Club):

And this is Brutus with what I consider their best song in its best version (a song which is on almost all their setlists, btw):

And here’s a song from their latest album, which they’ll undoubtedly play on Saturday as well:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

oh hey, probably the greatest contributor to this thread! Smile

Brutus rips. Enjoy the show!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Here’s something I should have posted two weeks ago.

A colleague at work had suddenly and unexpectedly died two weeks ago. We got the news on that Monday morning.
He’d been my colleague for more than 6 years; the past three years he was sitting diagonally across from me at work and since our move to the new/refurbished offices last summer, he was my immediate neighbour, and I got along really well with him.

He was only 60 and was a year-and-a-half away from early retirement, something he was greatly looking forward to, and for which the entire team was counting down with him.

Back in his youth (late 70s - early 80s) he would work as a DJ in weekends, with an emphasis on playing new wave. One of the first times we really got talking, was because he was surprised that I knew that “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (which was playing on the radio) was by Joy Division. To further add to his surprise I mentioned that I knew about New Order too. What completely baffled him was that I could reply with “Lady Shave” and “Collapsing New People” when he asked if I knew Fad Gadget. We would regularly talk about music since then, so I’m greatly going to miss having him around at the office.

So I’m going to post three songs that to me are intricately linked to him.

The first is “Collapsing New People” by Fad Gadget. Mainly because ANY song by Fad Gadget is going to remind me of him.

The second song is by Peter Murphy. One time we were talking and Bauhaus came up, specifically ‘Bela Lugosi’s Dead’, which was pretty much the only song I knew by them. But afterwards I looked them up on the internet and came across Peter Murphy, one of the founders of the Bauhaus band. Some of his solo stuff from the late ‘80s is exceptional, and it has imo a massive David Bowie vibe which only adds to the appeal. My coworker didn’t know him either, but as a big David Bowie fan himself, he of course immediately appreciated the songs I sent him.

The third song is The Human League’s “Being Boiled”. There’s a three-bar synth line from this that is used in Visage’s “Fade to Grey” (that was released two years later). Since I knew the Visage song first, I can’t help but wanting to sing “we fade to grey” after that synth line in “Being Boiled”.

When I mentioned the similarities between both songs to my coworker, he was astounded. He had played them each hundreds of times in his DJ’ing days yet had never noticed it.

Both songs would probably be perfect to slice together, the synth line is that similar. Listen for yourselves: Visage - Fade to Grey

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your post.

Interesting people have a way of entering and sadly leaving our lives. It’s good to honour the memories. Also, great songs.

Total Posts: 1788

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Vegetable Party - 22 February 2023 11:22 AM

i’ve been thinking about what’ll probably be the last post in this thread, considering what’s left of an active and interested user base.

I’m with Tim and his response regarding this.
I’m only posting stuff when I actually HAVE “3 songs, in the moment” that have hit me or, possibly, one song that means that special something that I can add 2 more to compliment the first but also, hopefully, adds overall. That’s how I’ve always seen this thread but I can’t contradict VP’s view as he started the damn thing!  Smile
It was relatively easy to do any of this whilst I was digitising my vinyl and then ripping the CDs - not so much when away from music as I have been for a while and I have a few to listen to from here which I must get round to doing.
Intense Degree did post some Scottish Folk a short while back which I enjoyed. Scottish folk, along with Welsh, has often taken a back seat to Irish which I always felt unfair (and I’m part Irish!) so he inspired me to add the following three songs. Poozies are more of a crossover Scottish/English/British folk group but their roots are mainly Scottish. Iona are a Scottish Christian Folk Rock Band (from Iona strangely enough Smile ) which isn’t my thing (the Christian bit)  but Joanne Hogg has such a voice that I love listening to them. Finally, The Colour Of Memory are a Scottish band that released one album - The Old Man And The Sea - and I know pretty much nothing about them. Discovered the album on release and loved it.
So, without further ado:

Life is what it is.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

..and it warms what’s left of my severely disfigured heart.

but honestly, it does - and i’m talkginb about these songs as well as the fact this idea got to live a life of its own, in my absence, with people actually respecting the topic and intent of the thread.

it’s competing with Lady Kestrel’s Keepsake CPT as the most joyful experiences on this board.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

sometimes it’s too late when you heed the call, sometimes you know what’s coming - you can be in front of the ball, so to speak.

Kokoroko’s music always sounds like a journey to me; this is a beautiful visualization of that feeling.        (edit: apparently the video is no longer on youtube - i did some real digging and found it here!

kinda dreamy and going hard at the same time!

Bobby Kimball in this video reminds me of a mixture of 80s Ken Williams and Jim B.B. Walls

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It’s so easy to post any 3 random songs that you like (& I have) but I thought it would be nice to post 3 that had some kind of connection. I have for a while been impressed with theme tunes so I thought I’d present some memorable ones (at least for me!) from British TV series’:

Beth Rowley - I walk beside you

I found live footage of Beth Rowley (who I’d never heard of until now) singing other songs but not this one which introduced each episode of the very engaging (non-magical) series of Strike. They are based on stories by Robert Galbraith which you may know is a pseudonym for J. K. Rowling. 

Joe Bugg - Trouble Town

This is the theme tune for the 3 series of the excellent Happy Valley. As with Beth Rowley I’d never heard of this singer before.

Mark Knopfler – Why Aye Man

Unlike the previous 2, this theme for Auf Wiedersehen Pet Series 3 is played at the end of each episode rather than at the beginning. There were 4 series altogether that focused on a core group of builders from Newcastle, ‘why aye’ being a phrase associated with specific regions in the NE of England.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Three cheers for premonition i guess.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Vegetable Party - 01 April 2023 03:56 AM

Three cheers for premonition i guess.

I don’t know what you mean by your comment VP but my contribution was sincere i.e no surreptitious reasons for posting my choices. 

What I do know is that this is a very nice thread which I don’t believe will die a death but will, apart from a flurry here & there, carry on as a slow burner for evermore.

I’ve experienced a wealth of music that I otherwise wouldn’t have done.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Yesterday, I accidentally stumbled on something called “comedy metal”. I’ve been in stitches ever since…

The lead singer of tongue-in-cheek fantasy/scifi power metal band Gloryhammer is nicknamed “Angus McFife”. They’re going for a Scottish theme. Tongue
Two years ago, they kicked Thomas Winkler (their longest-running “Angus McFife”) out. He started a new band with a similar setup. Only with even more ridiculous lyrics… Grin

Angus McSix - “Laser-Shooting Dinosaur”

That same Thomas Winkler collaborated with “Nanowar of Steel” (back when he was still singing with Gloryhammer). This song is one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard:

Nanowar of Steel - “Valhalleluja”

And because one Nanowar of Steel song isn’t enough, here’s another. One that can count as a parody on Alestorm even.

Nanowar of Steel - “Sober”

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Smile I love heavy rock/metal (along with other genres of music) but because of the nature of it I found all of those songs hilarious my favourite being Nanowar of Steel - “Valhalleluja” which had me in stitches.

The only offering I can come up in the same vein is reflective of real life rather than fantasy
but worth hearing (if you haven’t heard it before) I hope you don’t mind VP that it’s just one song in the moment for now (& feel free anyone else to add another 2 to mine):

Holiday hazard

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 21 April 2023 06:37 AM

Holiday hazard

Never heard of Fascinating Aïda before. Bloody hilarious! ​🤣​

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Fecking brilliant!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top