• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain Directors Cut unofficial CPT

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Noomi. I haven’t seen the English language version.  Smile

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Krusbert - 17 November 2021 01:19 PM

The ashtray has nothing to do with the puzzle. It’s just a hint. You only need to do one thing, and that’s to knock on the door and then drag and drop the smokes on Sue before she closes the door. When playing with a mouse you have six seconds to do that, which felt like plenty of time to me (longer and it seemed like Sue just stares at you forever).

But maybe we should put a checkbox in the options to disable puzzle timers as an accessibility option. Players have varying reaction speeds and some may have physical disabilities that would make it more difficult to do a quick mouse precision movement like this, and it would be a shame if we alienated a player for a reason like that.

I think that would be a good idea. Even if you have no disabilities, and I have none, from the time you knock on the door, and Sue answers, you have six seconds to open inventory, identify the cigarettes, and drag/drop them on Sue. I succeeded. But only after multiple tries when I knew what I needed to do. I don’t remember this being an issue when we played the original.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 17 November 2021 07:39 PM
Krusbert - 17 November 2021 01:19 PM

The ashtray has nothing to do with the puzzle. It’s just a hint. You only need to do one thing, and that’s to knock on the door and then drag and drop the smokes on Sue before she closes the door. When playing with a mouse you have six seconds to do that, which felt like plenty of time to me (longer and it seemed like Sue just stares at you forever).

But maybe we should put a checkbox in the options to disable puzzle timers as an accessibility option. Players have varying reaction speeds and some may have physical disabilities that would make it more difficult to do a quick mouse precision movement like this, and it would be a shame if we alienated a player for a reason like that.

I think that would be a good idea. Even if you have no disabilities, and I have none, from the time you knock on the door, and Sue answers, you have six seconds to open inventory, identify the cigarettes, and drag/drop them on Sue. I succeeded. But only after multiple tries when I knew what I needed to do. I don’t remember this being an issue when we played the original.

Tried it on the original. I had six seconds to pull out the pack of cigarettes and drop them on Sue. And yes, what I meant by a trigger is the ashtray is a hint for what you need to do.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Good for you.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It is now Thursday. Let’s do day 2 now. You have until next Thursday to reach day 3.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2021 03:30 PM

Not sure where you got that number. Well I do know. It’s in the math book, but there is nothing I saw that made it stand out from any of the other numbers.

The grandpa mentions flowers somewhere, probably in the recording, 3 red, 1 blue and 2 yellow. The math book has bookmarks responding to those colors. So you take 3 prime numbers, 1 from fibonacci and 2 from pi - if I recalled them correctly now. It’s not random at all.

I feel strongly that Kathy is a female Gabriel Knight, both in good and bad. I probably gave more slack to Gabriel because his adventure actually came out in 90s while Kathy’s is a call back to them.

Aside from the bike, snark and certain self-centeredness there are many plot similarities:
writer background
meeting grandma and asking about the tragic past of grandpa
grandpa’s secrets in the attic
nightmares

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I had some time this morning so I’ve now got to Day 3.

I found the puzzles in Day 2 a lot of fun and was pleased to see that a couple of aspects had been changed for the better. One of them having the voice-recorder on the computer rather than scanning the tape. made a lot more sense.
I couldn’t help thinking that the hacker on the phone sounded like one of the Hardy Boys & then he made a reference to Nancy Drew!

I liked the extra scene towards the end where Kathy tells Eileen about her abortion. I thought it was implied well enough in the original but this added to the depth of trust and friendship between the ‘chalk & cheese` characters.

The very last scene with the dream of the red man varied a lot from the original. I never thought that aliens were part of the plot but now I’m not so sure.
But as it was a dream I thought it could also be Kathy’s brain ‘making sense` of the info she’s come across so far e.g. the red flower, the strange lights etc

I’ve been reminding myself of the original by watching snippets on YT. I loved the original but so far I’m finding the DC to be an improvement.  Thumbs Up

millenia - 18 November 2021 01:46 AM

I feel strongly that Kathy is a female Gabriel Knight, both in good and bad. I probably gave more slack to Gabriel because his adventure actually came out in 90s while Kathy’s is a call back to them.

Aside from the bike, snark and certain self-centeredness there are many plot similarities:
writer background
meeting grandma and asking about the tragic past of grandpa
grandpa’s secrets in the attic
nightmares

I’m not sure that I see Kathy as a female Gabriel Knight but certainly agree that there is a nod to Gabriel Knight as far as aspects of the plot goes. The game does seems to incorporate a few references to other games & films but ultimately the overall plot seems to be originalso far. 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I started day two. The computer stuff was fun, but it did require a restart or two. If you don’t delete a letter or two from Eileen’s password you will succeed in logging in. So, you have to do the whole process over again and change the password so that the IT guy has to enter his code.

Doing the over-exposed photo was relatively simple. Doing the audio tape was less so. It took me more than a few passes to get the sequence right. It was nice that once you got the basic message started the computer filled in the rest.

Am at a “What do I do now?” point. Used the recorded message on the phone. Called back and left a message with my phone number. And now I’m stuck in the room with Eileen waiting for the phone to ring. Can’t leave the room. Got an achievement by preening at the mirror. There’s got to be a trigger that prompts the call back from Wade’s daughter. But I can’t figure out what it is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 18 November 2021 09:32 PM

I started day two. The computer stuff was fun, but it did require a restart or two. If you don’t delete a letter or two from Eileen’s password you will succeed in logging in. So, you have to do the whole process over again and change the password so that the IT guy has to enter his code.

Doing the over-exposed photo was relatively simple. Doing the audio tape was less so. It took me more than a few passes to get the sequence right. It was nice that once you got the basic message started the computer filled in the rest.

Am at a “What do I do now?” point. Used the recorded message on the phone. Called back and left a message with my phone number. And now I’m stuck in the room with Eileen waiting for the phone to ring. Can’t leave the room. Got an achievement by preening at the mirror. There’s got to be a trigger that prompts the call back from Wade’s daughter. But I can’t figure out what it is.

Anyway, you are at the end of day 2. You don’t get to day 3 unless everything is completed.

Try this:

Go away from PC, grab printouts from printer
Call Erica Wade, LOOK at Mr Dicto, press play
Combine picture of lights with church brochure, get note “Church of the holy trinity”
Answer the phone
Ask about the incident, Charles Wade, Lily Myers, Lily Myers’ art

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 15 November 2021 05:37 PM

I played day 1. Honestly, I didn’t even realize there was added content, even though I did remember a lot of things getting back to the game.

I have to make a confession at this point: I didn’t and still don’t really like Kathy. When the game first came out, I should’ve jumped to play it but I started it for the first time in spring 2019 after hearing a strong recommendation from an irl acquaintance. I really liked the game, but never was taken by Kathy as a character.

I guess it’s mostly about it being a bit of a cliché, she’s this “cool and tough” grunge persona from the 90s - smoking, biking, leather jacket, smartass. I wouldn’t say Kathy is unlikeable or a bad character, and I think I didn’t really dislike her at the end of the game, but something about her just doesn’t really resonate with me. I feel like she’s supposed to be cool but she just isn’t for me. On the other hand I am happy she’s at least a woman, usually this archetype is a dude, and that would have been horribly boring. Wink 

But the story is once again picking up at a good pace - slow but steady - and I am interested in where it’s going. (My memories from the earlier playthrough are kind of jumbled and I’m not even trying to remember what it was all about.)

I wasn’t stuck at all as I did have a good enough recollection of the earlier playthrough. The puzzles and progression was pretty good. The game has hotspot highlighter and the roommate seems to work as a hint provider, so I feel like I’m in good hands here (hopefully not left wandering around aimlessly at any point).

I am at the checkpoint too. Day 2 was fun, a few improved puzzles and a few new scenes I enjoyed watching.

I do like Kathy Rain actually. Not your take home to mom kinda gal, but still not your average game character either.

Heart

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Adv_Lvr - 18 November 2021 10:03 PM

I do like Kathy Rain actually. Not your take home to mom kinda gal, but still not your average game character either.
Heart

Consider the family environment she brought up quite soft-core actually,never indulged pyromania.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I have a quite complicated relationship with Kathy, so it’s hard for me to tell really where some of these feelings come from. Like I said I don’t think she’s a bad character and definitely I don’t think she’s horrible (though I didn’t like hinting on burning E’s teddybear, that’s just so petty).

I think she is a product of nostalgia and in that way somewhat a cliché but the more important part might be that Kathy and I have a lot in common. I mean a lot, so it’s hard for me to tell if I’m annoyed by some of the similarities or maybe overly critical with the differences.

(She’s got about 10 years on me as I was in early teens in mid 90s and luckily I don’t have a line of family tragedies in my past.)

Anyway, I think having conflicted feelings towards the protagonist is perfectly fine in this game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

millenia - 19 November 2021 10:29 AM

Kathy and I have a lot in common. I mean a lot

Are you a biker?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Combine picture of lights with church brochure, get note “Church of the holy trinity”

That was it. I had just compared them, but not combined them. I didn’t realized I was close to the end of day 2. Interesting scene with Eileen. And we get our first glimpse of the Red Man.

Perhaps instead of saying “Play to the end of Day Three.” you might give us some small hints so that we have some sense of how we are progressing. (Maybe that’s not necessary here since Kathy has already given us three sites she intends to visit. But it’s a thought.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 19 November 2021 01:41 PM

That was it. I had just compared them, but not combined them. I didn’t realized I was close to the end of day 2. Interesting scene with Eileen. And we get our first glimpse of the Red Man.

Perhaps instead of saying “Play to the end of Day Three.” you might give us some small hints so that we have some sense of how we are progressing. (Maybe that’s not necessary here since Kathy has already given us three sites she intends to visit. But it’s a thought.)

Good idea, but some might see it as giving too much away. I myself really liked day three from the original game. So I’m really interested in seeing if there are any new puzzles or scenes in this day.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top