• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 81: The Wolf Among Us

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

You are wrong though. There are elements of The Wolf Among Us that you won’t see in one playthrough. The choices change which Book of Fables entries are open to you.

Sure, the overall story doesn’t change, but there is more than just the odd dialogue difference.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

chrissie - 17 January 2024 06:11 AM

I’ve never been a fan of keyboard control, especially as it’s not so comfortable following an injury, so I’m delighted that the game seems to work using an Xbox controller. I’ve only played for a few minutes & it seems straightforward but I’ve yet to fathom out what I need to press to beat the QTEs so need more practise with the woodcutter – any tips would be gratefully received.

I started up the game yesterday and played the first chapter of the first episode with a controller (in Xbox controller mode). Got past the Woodcutter sequence on my first try, but it must have been a very close call. I got beaten up quite a bit. Yes, I’m aware we are supposed to be losing at one stage (?).

The A,B,X,Y-buttons are easy enough to work out (mostly defensive actions I believe). When it’s Wolf’s turn to attack I think you are supposed to aim for the red circle with the right analog stick and execute the action with one of the trigger buttons on the back of the controller. I wouldn’t be surprised if this part is easier to perform with the mouse/keyboard, but at least the game didn’t seem to be too finicky with the aiming. I got in a few good hits without really aiming at the circled part of Woodcutter.Smile

Edit: Oh, and the left analog stick manages the dodging actions.

I’m inrigued! Can’t wait to begin playing this for real.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 January 2024 07:25 AM

I hope you all enjoy y’alls playthrough and I don’t want to ruin it, but I just can’t be called a liar.

Nobody called you a liar.

As I said there are some artificial changes but nothing major.

So you don’t call for instance the difference between life and death major. I do.

It’s all an illusion.

Every single game is an illusion.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Veovis - 17 January 2024 08:17 AM

I started up the game yesterday and played the first chapter of the first episode with a controller (in Xbox controller mode). Got past the Woodcutter sequence on my first try, but it must have been a very close call. I got beaten up quite a bit. Yes, I’m aware we are supposed to be losing at one stage (?).

The A,B,X,Y-buttons are easy enough to work out (mostly defensive actions I believe). When it’s Wolf’s turn to attack I think you are supposed to aim for the red circle with the right analog stick and execute the action with one of the trigger buttons on the back of the controller. I wouldn’t be surprised if this part is easier to perform with the mouse/keyboard, but at least the game didn’t seem to be too finicky with the aiming. I got in a few good hits without really aiming at the circled part of Woodcutter.Smile

Edit: Oh, and the left analog stick manages the dodging actions.

Thank you Veovis. I have found that it’s easy to switch between the controller & mouse/keyboard so will work on that & report back.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Controversy! Wink

As long as TTG ‘choice’ games have been about there has been a difference of opinion on whether the choice is just illusion or whether it really affects things.

My own view is that you can argue it either way and it really boils down to what your expectations of a ‘choice’ based game are. There are parts of the game that I would say might be ‘misleading’ in terms of how consequential things are, and parts that do make a genuine difference. Whether that difference is enough to satisfy each one of us personally is up to each of us.

For this playthrough I’m very happy that this topic is discussed, it’s a key part of the TTG game experience, but I would be very grateful if we could keep opinions as just that - opinions - rather than objective statements of truth.

I’m not trying to get at anyone here, we’re here to enjoy a CPT, but let’s try not to be offensive (not saying that anyone has been, I just remember the great forum TTG wars of 10 years ago and want to head any repeats off at the pass!) and also let’s try not to be too easily offended. It’s fine for people to love this game and to hate it.

Sorry for the slightly patronising nature of this post. I know I’m not your Dad, nor a Mod or any of that stuff. Let’s enjoy the discussions.

ANYWAY I think we’re all more or less checked in so I will get Section 1 kicked off tonight (hopefully) or early tomorrow.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Oh, also I haven’t answered my own questions.

So I have played a few TTG games before. I was really surprised with Puzzle Agent 1&2 which think I got as part of a bundle and wasn’t expecting too much but I really enjoyed them.

I tried The Walking Dead and BTTF and I think the GOT one, which I didn’t quite get on with, but this game blew my mind. Easily the best thing TTG has done for me.

It also came along at quite an interesting time in my gaming life. Gaming on your phone was just taking off as phones became viable gaming platforms and I couldn’t believe you could play them on the commute! Before preparing for this playthrough I had only ever played TWAU on a phone. I’m on PC now and it does actually feel a little different. I haven’t worked out which I prefer yet!

Anyone else in that same boat?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The only games I’ve played on my phone are Scrabble & Spider. I think I prefer to play AGs on my PC as I’ve got quite a large screen.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If there are different endings, or even different ways to reach the same ending, I’d say that the choices matter. The new Poirot game on the Orient Express is a perfect example where the choices do NOT matter:

“Poirot, let’s go to the train now!”

1. “Ok” (You go to the train.)
2. “NO!” (“But the train is leaving in a minute! We must catch the train!”. You go to the train.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The article Jdawg linked to was an interesting read, but it contains lots of spoilers. Just a warning for people who have not played TWAU before.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, sorry, but I couldn’t resist when I read Diego’s post…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Hello all!

Aiming to play along with you all for my first community playthrough. I have played through this before, but hoping my partner can sit in on my play sessions so she can experience this too.

I have played a good number of the Telltale Games. Among the best that I have played through would be this game, The Walking Dead games, the Batman games (the second of which had a fantastically different final chapter, depending on your choices!), and Tales from Monkey Island. I have finished the Puzzle Agent gmaes, Back to the Future, and then played through a few of the Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit episodes.

Some of their games have been really powerful and impactful, but there are definitely some that have felt like slogs or devoid of any real gameplay per se. That said, they are on point with their narratives and they gave me that adventure game fix through some slumps.

Looking forward to revisiting this!

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Just played through the prologue. I really admire how well the stylized graphics held up. I really adore the color palette. The shadows are a bit heavy for my taste. As with a few TTG, there is a lot of empty space in some areas and lack of background characters. Kind of makes sense with the hidden nature of the fables, perhaps. Looking forward to trying some different choices and, maybe, filling out my few locked Fables!

Music is fine. Not so much going on.

The plot feels a bit trope-y so far. I cannot actually remember what happens, so hoping that it opens up! Also, hope that the women get a bit more depth. Cool to have the familiarity of fable characters, but the unfamiliarity of the setting.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Section 1

Episode 1: Faith

OK, it’s time to get stuck into Episode 1. If you’ve already played the prologue a simple continue game will get you back into the action at Chapter 2. If you haven’t yet played the prologue, get stuck in and meet the Sheriff!

The stopping point is going to be the end of Episode 1, and it will be very obvious because you will literally get a credits screen and be taken back to the main menu.

It’s also worth pointing out that the chapters you will play through are of wildly different lengths. Some are really short and some much longer and more involved.

Furthermore, you are able to rewind chapters to play again if you want to, which will create a separate save (unless you deliberately save over your original save file). If this is your first time through I would leave this alone and stick with your first impulses. But if you make a decision by mistake and then immediately massively regret it, you can replay the chapter and continue on from there.

The end of the episode

When the episode is done, and just before the credits, you will be presented with a list of some of the choices you made together with a global percentage of what other players have chosen. I would love for us all to share the choices we have made at the end of each episode and it would be great if we could put them in spoilers as, obviously, there will be spoilers for anyone who hasn’t yet finished the episode and for anyone who wants to save other choices for a second playthrough.

Spoiler alert!

I’m putting in the choices below as a template which you can copy, fill in and paste into your own posts if it’s helpful. Obviously don’t look at these until you’ve completed Episode 1!

1. Did you give Faith your money?
2. Did you tell Beast the truth about Beauty?
3. Where did you decide to go first?
4. What happened to Prince Lawrence?
5. Who is your prime suspect?
6. Who did you arrest?

Let’s say we’ll give it until Thursday 25 January to complete episode 1. As I’ve said it is only 2 odd hours per episode, so if we’re all done earlier I’m very happy to start Episode 2 early.

Let’s get in to Fabletown!

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Great, I will play it this weekend!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Same! I plan to start this weekend. If I devote an hour-per-day, I should make some headway.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top