• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #74 - Still Life

Total Posts: 1286

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I finished this chapter, which I honestly enjoyed more than the first one. I loved that grey Prague and as some of you pointed, the water effects and reflections are great!

At the chapel, about the coroner’s safe puzzle, my first thought was that the symbols edges may correspond with the numbers (but no). So I thought “Probably the coroner knows more about it”. Wrong. So I finally said to myself “There must be a clue somewhere, and that shelves look promising”. I really though it would be a document or a book, but I finally found the visual clue chrissie talked about earlier.

I liked the human treatment for the prostitutes, but my favourite character was that coachman and probably former detective, I also think he knows more and really expect to meet him again in the future.

Finally, at the junkyard, this time I enjoyed the “slider” puzzle to unlock the crane: it was logical and I succeed after a few attempts.

Sadly, the chapter ended, but I am really looking forward to return to Prague…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just watched a cut scene of Gus chasing a crow. The fact that he succeeded requires a certain suspension of belief. Anyway, that’s where I am. Don’t know how far along I am in the episode.

The safe puzzle was easy to find out what to do. Finding the number sequence was less than a pixel hunt. Translating the symbols to numbers required a fair amount of trail and error. I put the symbols I thought were correct in their places. That was about four of them. and then trial and errored the rest. This type of puzzle is common in casual games. The main difference is that when a puzzle piece is placed in the correct position it usually clicks into place and can no longer be moved.

It took me a while to figure out the inventory mechanics in the park. I don’t know why there wasn’t a way to view the two images side-by-side rather than needing to switch between them. Other than the latter would make finding the difference easier.

I do like the graphics in this chapter. It makes me think that Post Mortem might have benefitted from being designed as a B/W game with only occasional splashes of color.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished second chapter. I did enjoy the puzzles more and didnt need any help this time going through. I struggled a little with the picture not understanding what i was supposed to do but with a little trial and error i got it right. Rest of the puzzles were ok. I understood almost immediately the puzzle with symbols and got it right first time.

I really like the story and the fact there are many things to read. I liked the graphics at this chapter although the dark tones make it hard to find some items. Kinda relieved to have full colours for next chapter.

Ready for more.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I snuck a peek at a walkthrough and it appears I’m about hallway through this chapter. Should be able to finish it off tomorrow or Tuesday. If memory serves, chapter 3 is fairly difficult. Not the least because of the infamous cookie puzzle. Looking forwards to putting the current chapter in my rear-view mirror.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished chapter 2. There is one thing I didn’t understand. In the police station you look at the bulletin board and take a newspaper clipping. What happened to it? I would have thought it would go to Documents, but it didn’t. Or, at least I don’t see it there. It was obviously unimportant because I was able to proceed without reading it. Also don’t understand the Zenda reference of the book title on the coffee table.

The rest of the puzzles were relatively simple. The power puzzle is referred to as a slider. I think or it more as a Hanoi Tower puzzle. The crate puzzle was also simple. IF you were able to know in advance what the objective was. If there was a hotspot that cued a narrative that said “I need to find a way to get to that railroad car,” I didn’t see it or hear it.

Can’t say I actually enjoyed this chapter more than the first. But the graphics were more interesting and we certainly were able to interact with more characters.

Edit: Two other things. If it were a casual game, the crate puzzled would also be known as a “tedium skip.” Both chrissie and Lady K know what those are. It’s a puzzle that you know how to solve, but the number of steps required to actually solve it are so many that you would rather hit the Skip button than go through the process. Obviously you couldn’t do that here.

I was also quite surprised by the jump scare at the end of the chapter. I did not expect seeing that Doberman again!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Are we supposed to be starting Chapter 3 today?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Yes, we are…

Chapter 3: Orphan Man with Top Hat

We continue as Victoria after Claire’s phone call. In this chapter we will have to solve the “infamous” cookies puzzle (I never played before, so I don’t know if it deserves that adjective, but I read in several places that it does deserve it, so…)

After cooking the cookies (and if we have done that correctly), this chapter will finish with Victoria reading back the journal and we will continue as Gus. You should stop after talking to Vladanna.

As usual, one week for this chapter, until September 13th.

Nice cooking to everybody!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I figured you might be a bit behind schedule with some translation biz, and that you would want us to proceed so we can keep on schedule.

A large surprise in the first part of Chapter 3, and the chapter’s title says it all. While Victoria is entering the morgue she discovers that an intruder has already been there. Said intruder bears a striking resemblance to Gus’ Coachman character. Really good chase scene animation follows. I’ve arrived/saved at the college campus. All the puzzles up to this point have been fairly easy, but the BIG ONE is just around the corner. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Yeah, I am terribly busy as I have to finish two translations by the end of this month, but I will continue with this CPT no matter what.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished chapter 3. There is a task you need to complete before you return to Pat’s house. Claire will tell you what to do, but doing it is a bit trickier than I remembered.

As for the Cookie Puzzle. I’ve played the game three or four times (including this playthrough.) I know I completed the puzzle once without resorting to a walkthrough. If you are a baker or regular cookie maker I guess you could rely on your expertise and/or your favorite gingerbread cookie recipe to try and match the recipes ingredient list with the ingredients you have on the table. If you have put everything together correctly Victoria will tell you so. If she doesn’t, it’s time to start from scratch. Side note: even though the recipe is not written in metric units, the measuring cups and spoons are in metric units. It makes no difference unless you don’t know which is larger, a tsp or a tbsp. If that’s the case, you might want to do a bit of basic baking research.

When you arrive at chapter 4 you see a cutscene of Gus introducing himself to Vladanna. He immediately starts asking her questions. It didn’t seem practical to save a game in the middle of a conversation. So I waited until the conversation was over before saving.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For those that don’t want to resort to a WT for the cookie puzzle, I’m going to give you some real-life cooking hints. FWIW, I’m a really good cook, but I am not a pastry chef. That accolade belongs to my grand-daughter, a legitimate executive pastry chef at the University of Notre Dame for six years and now the owner of her own custom pastry business. She would have aced this puzzle in a heartbeat.

OK Generally dry ingredients are mixed together and then are added to wet ingredients that have been mixed together. The order doesn’t matter that much. But you can’t just throw everything in a mixing bowl, turn on the mixer, and expect everything will turn out fine. Generally seasonings are added close to the end where they can be adjusted if needed. Usually any binding agents are added last as they are what will allow the mass of stuff to be molded together and hold form while cooking. Hopefully this gives you enough hints to try some combinations.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I will try to cook that damn cookies tonight.

By the way, I said in my introduction to chapter 3 that “You should stop after talking to Vladanna.” because it was easier to save that way.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I finished this chapter. And no, I didn’t manage to cook the damn cookies. I can understand the logic of what should go first and after, what’s solid and liquid, that “1 common sense” has no messure and should be and egg… What got me confused was the “add inteligence” instruction. Let’s see: there are eight ingredients and nine “features” to add, I wasn’t able to undertand that.

Maybe if I had more time, I would have tried harder, but alas, it’s not the case, so I used a walkthough (and I made it right at the second time with the walkthrough, so dizzy I was…)

Anyway, I was able to solve everything else without any setbacks.

I was shocked when I read Kolar’s thesis, not only because he thinks Gus was the killer, but because Ida is going to be killed too!!!

By the way, I loved the chasing cinematic. Along with Gus “visions”, all reminded me to Fahrenheit aka The Indigo Prophecy. And both were released the same year. Curious, isn’t it?

Well, I hope I won’t have to bring coffee or cook anything else the in rest of the game…

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished this chapter also. I also didnt manage to do the cookies puzzle. Although i cook often it has been too long since i baked anything sweet. Still i managed to get everything right except ginger and cinnamon. I put more cinnamon than ginger. i guess i dont like my food too spicy lol. Other than that i got rest of the ingredients right.

I had some problem getting the fingerprints but i managed with some trial and error.

The chase sequence was nice and cinematic. Ready to play in dark colours of prague again.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

walas74 - 09 September 2022 01:24 AM

… And no, I didn’t manage to cook the damn cookies.

Laughing
Never mind the damn cookies it was the damn recipe that was the problem!  Pan 
I’m sure I would have tolerated & tried to solve it the first time I played the game as I might otherwise have remembered how silly that recipe was! 
There are/were surely better ways of describing the ingredients e.g in some cases cinnamon could be a hint of christmas sensuality, ginger a hint of spicy romance but please how do molasses relate to integrity, flour to commitment, butter to generosity, milk to love & … egg to common sense although there was the clue of 1!

rtrooney - 08 September 2022 07:09 PM

For those that don’t want to resort to a WT for the cookie puzzle, I’m going to give you some real-life cooking hints.

Thanks Tim but the puzzle in a game should have the clues within the game & this recipe has got to be in the top ten AG unimaginative nonsense clues!

As such I used a wt to convert the ridiculous descriptions to the actual ingredients & then followed the recipe so I did it myself but not really!  Laughing 

walas74 - 09 September 2022 01:24 AM

I was shocked when I read Kolar’s thesis,

Yes, me too especially as it referred to events encountered in Post Mortem. I find it difficult to believe but I did think about it.

I’m also mulling over why the person who broke into the morgue let Victoria live? Could it be related?

Nico2021 - 09 September 2022 12:30 PM

I had some problem getting the fingerprints but i managed with some trial and error.

Yes, I too had some problems there fighting the interface!

Despite all I enjoyed this chapter & am ready to move on. I don’t know whether it happened before but a ‘IV’ turned up in the top right corner at the beginning of chapter 4.
Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top