• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Carol Reed 10: Bosch’s Damnation

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m at the church museum, and have been examining the painting the game is named after. I’m trying to guess at the way it ties into the story. It seems to show a lot of people having a bad time with musical instruments. I’m waiting for a giant, angry set of bagpipes to show up at Carol’s door.

The scenes with the dusting of snow and at night were lovely. I’m also enjoying learning more about Malte. Loved the story of how he had a fascination with trains, and would refuse to wait to get to the local train station when it was going by his house. So he frequently pulled the cord to stop the train and hopped out in front of his home. I suppose he could afford the fines he got for doing this. Interesting, the way the locals overcame the problem. Too bad his personal station was torn down—I’d have enjoyed exploring it. The business with the coffin is intriguing. I know people in the past would bring one along sometimes on long sea voyages—but he seemed to treat the coffin like a beloved pet.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I finally found Bigge! He’s become so polite. He didn’t insult me, or imply that I’m asking questions just to get to know him better, or block me from my own apartment.

What gives? Maybe there’s a Bigge twin with the same tattoos but more creative beard arrangement, and an opposite personality? We could call him Smalge.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-06-17

PM

I don’t know… Bosch’s Damnation’s plot twists were a bit off, to me at least. It’s a solid game though. I liked Cold Case Summer better however, and I definitely would recommend it for anyone here.

I haven’t played all the Carol Reed Games, anyone else have a favorite they could recommend?

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Razorsedge4444—I finished Bosch’s Damnation and enjoyed it a lot. Cold Case Summer is still my favorite, though, because to me the story in Cold Case Summer is more complex. If story complexity is also important to you, I would suggest trying Amber’s Blood or Time Stand Still next (we talked about the Carol Reeds with the best stories earlier in this thread).

Partly what sets the Carol Reed games apart (especially the more recent games in the series) is the pace of the story/mystery. Every place you visit in the game advances the case to be solved. The story unfolds with a goodly amount of detail, information about the characters that’s pertinent, and a constant feeling of accomplishment. Often the story is tied into “real” historical events, giving everything an aura of authenticity. You don’t spend a couple of hours on a puzzle, only to find a key that leads to yet another puzzle. There’s a purpose to everything. And you don’t feel herded into a small space while the mystery unfolds—the gameworld is quite large, with plenty to see and explore. 

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-06-17

PM

Hi Becky, thanks for the info, but I’ve actually already played Cold Case Summer too:) What’s your second favorite Carol Reed mystery?

Thanks!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Tough call! I’d say play Amber’s Blood next and then Time Stand Still.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top