• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AbnaxusLittleRosewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished the game with the bonus chapter and if that bonus chapter wasn’t included in the normal version, I’d have to say it’s a shame. It’s a very good chapter and in my opinion even needed to tie things together. I can’t say I totally knew it, but the bonus chapter conclusion didn’t come to me as a surprise, it fit nicely. Without the bonus content the ending felt kinda abrupt.

More about this when other people start chatting about the ending and the plot in general.

There were a bit too much HOG scenes to my taste towards the end, and the one with the rings in the bonus chapter was definitely one I could have done without. Since I accidentally used one hint in the beginning, I went and just used a hint for the last ring after already trying some random clicking. Otherwise I liked the varying puzzles and felt the bonus chapter had some very nice ones too.

I know it was supposed to be creepy, and it kinda was, but I think I really just snickered finding my name on the mirror and later on the bonus chapter too. It just stood out like a sore thumb, being a Finnish nickname among all those Brittish/Irish last names.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I just finished the game. I though it was an awesome game with a good story, lots of atmosphere, and interesting, although fairly easy puzzles. The puzzle I liked the least was the different colors one on the train; a lot of casual games seem to like that kind and I don’t!

I thought the funniest line was when you clicked on the construction before you went up to the trains and Angelica says something about “everyone on this case will be dead and buried before they finish this.”

I googled John Newcomer, who wrote the game and found out he also did the Midnight Mysterys and the Samantha Swift ones. I might check them out. He also did Joust which was my favorite, along with Frogger, of the early ‘80’s arcade games.

I regret not buying the CE, based on what people are saying.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

millenia - 02 September 2014 06:09 AM

There were a bit too much HOG scenes to my taste towards the end, and the one with the rings in the bonus chapter was definitely one I could have done without.

There was one in the last segment that just seemed out of place to me. You visited it twice. While all the other hidden object scenes were, to me, fairly well composed and appropriate, e.g. finding matching boots in Pizer’s shop, this one just seemed thrown together, and not up to the standards of the other ones.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2014 11:22 AM

There was one in the last segment that just seemed out of place to me. You visited it twice. While all the other hidden object scenes were, to me, fairly well composed and appropriate, e.g. finding matching boots in Pizer’s shop, this one just seemed thrown together, and not up to the standards of the other ones.

In that one I noticed that they wanted a razor strap, when I think what they wanted is a strop. Granted a strop IS a strap but…

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2014 11:22 AM
millenia - 02 September 2014 06:09 AM

There were a bit too much HOG scenes to my taste towards the end, and the one with the rings in the bonus chapter was definitely one I could have done without.

Yes, I think the game would have been better if they just skipped a couple of those less immersive HOG scenes. Less repetition. Not that they really bothered me that much, it’s still a great game. Very fun and entertaining with interesting plot.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m curious what everyone thinks of this scene. Was the “Druitt + FT” inscription on the wall carved by the 19th century murderer or by the current murderer?

The answer might help decide the vision or time travel question.

As of now I am unconvinced of the vision theory. Particularly because of the number of physical items that are transported between time periods. (Plate, spray can, sausage for example.) Plus there is the need to physically interact with items. (Somebody needs to turn the lock tumblers, insert the key and retrieve the money bag from Annie Chapman’s cupboard. If not Angelica, who?)

There is one bit of dialog I found strange. When Angelica sends the photographs to Samantha, Samantha appears on screen and says how surprised she was to hear from Angelica. Why was she surprised?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Here’s the dialog:

The reason Samantha is surprised has an answer once you’ve finished the bonus chapter. But the answer in the bonus chapter makes all these other questions even more complicated.

I played the bonus chapter months ago when I first played the game, so I remember the twist. I’m not sure when we should start discussing that—it’s quite the revelation. On this playthrough I’ve been keeping my eyes open to see when the twist event might have happened in the course of the game. (For those who’ve finished the regular part of the game, didn’t purchase the Collector’s Edition, but want to see the bonus chapter, it’s available to watch on youtube.)

Millenia, if you came close to guessing the twist, I have to hand it to you! Well done.

I’m a bit slow with the current playthrough—I’ve just finished the train ride.

BTW—is Cicero a neighborhood in Chicago? That’s what I’ve been assuming.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2014 02:06 PM

I’m curious what everyone thinks of this scene. Was the “Druitt + FT” inscription on the wall carved by the 19th century murderer or by the current murderer?

I haven’t finished the game yet, in fact this is pretty much the point I have reached, so there might still be some surprises, but I would say that they were carved by the current murder.

rtrooney - 02 September 2014 02:06 PM

The answer might help decide the vision or time travel question.

As of now I am unconvinced of the vision theory. Particularly because of the number of physical items that are transported between time periods. (Plate, spray can, sausage for example.) Plus there is the need to physically interact with items. (Somebody needs to turn the lock tumblers, insert the key and retrieve the money bag from Annie Chapman’s cupboard. If not Angelica, who?)

I am more convinced than ever that 19 century London is just a vision and not the real thing. My evidence is:

1) Angelica actually more or less says so herself!
I can’t remember the exact words, but if you study the journal, you can see that she talks about London as a visualization.

2) The way that she just pulls her hand right into the man’s body and pulls out the locker, while he stands perfectly still and doesn’t respond at all. There is no way that could happen if he was a real man.

3) The giant dreamcatcher in the sky.

As for your objections to this:

a) There is no physical interaction with the things in the past, because in is not actually the past, but sort of a virtual world version of 19 century London.

b) The items she brings into the vision are not actually the physical items, but a virtual representation of these items.

c) The salami she brings back is problematic for the theory, but I personally just writes this down to an example of game-logic.

At least that is how I see it, and unless something unexpected happens in the part I haven’t played yet, then I think I will stick to that interpretation.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 02 September 2014 04:47 PM

The reason Samantha is surprised has an answer once you’ve finished the bonus chapter. But the answer in the bonus chapter makes all these other questions even more complicated.

I played the bonus chapter months ago when I first played the game, so I remember the twist.

Angelica is actually DEAD!
I see dead people

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

BTW—is Cicero a neighborhood in Chicago? That’s what I’ve been assuming.

Yes, but more correctly it’s a far south side suburb of Chicago. It and neighboring Berwyn were two locations where Al Capone set up headquarters.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have finished the game. I did better than I thought, only missed 2 sheriff badges. I didn’t think there were achievements in the SE, so when I found them I was pleasantly surprised. The end puzzle was a bit of a clickfest. I dislike puzzles where you have to get the timing right. I enjoyed the item collection puzzles and the barrel tossing. The HOGs were routine, but hard enough for some misclicks. The story was wasted on me. I lost track of who’s who - too many names and too much dialogue, so at the end I didn’t recall that Angelica had a boss.
All in all it was fun to play this concurrently with other members, and would do it again if there was another opportunity.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Finished the game now, I will add something more tomorrow, but for now I will just say that I’m glad that at least one of my hypothesises was right: The killer was a descendent of the original killer.

That is of course [spoiler]unless the twist mentioned by Becky, is that she wasn’t actually the murderer, but a fall guy fall gal provided by the real murderer - Which I kind of expect because of the “I might provide you with the murder weapon later” note.[/spoiler]

BTW: I only got 69/70 of the police badges but all of the dream catchers , and ended up with the “Master Mason”, “Foot in the Door”, “Shoe Seller of the month”, “Penny Pincher”, “Collective Unconscious”, “Through the Pigeon Hole”, “Distinguished Service Award” and “Golden Geek” achievements.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

He He - I just watched the bonus chapter ending on youtube and it seems like my wild 6th sense guess was correct!!!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I also watched the bonus chapter on YouTube. My first impression was that if this was the narrator’s second or third time through the chapter she was doing a horrible job. Having gone through the game from start to finish at least eight times, I wager that I could complete the entire SE in under 1.5 hours.

That’s not a pat on the back for me, but a critique of the bonus playthrough video that took 50 minutes to complete. I was “nonsensically” clicking on the items, trying to prod her to get on with the game.

As far as the conclusion of the bonus material. I don’t know when it’s appropriate to start discussing in. I’m going to say tomorrow is the time to start. I’m going to assume that everyone will have finished by then.

But, to get the discussion started, I’m going to say that I don’t buy it in the least.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Absolutely, and yet she responds once more in the bonus chapter! Why is she responding at all to a person who is dead?

I think the bonus chapter raises more questions than it answers.

I’ll rebut Iz’s points in a day or two. But first, I really need to get my Syberia experience into first gear.

I can believe in Angelica’s current state at the end of the bonus chapter. I don’t believe that was the case during the basic game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top