• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lambonius - 18 October 2014 06:35 AM
subbi - 18 October 2014 06:06 AM

In fact, my only gripe sofar, is that the characters feel as they are floating ontop of the landscape, rather than being a part of it.
Not being an expert in this, I don’t actually understand why….there are some secondary characters that lack the shading, so that could explain it….but even the ones that do have shading, do tend to float a bit.
Is it the high resolution/sharpness? I really have no clue. I tried some other 3D games, but I don’t get the same effect somehow.

If your system can handle it, try turning the anti-aliasing all the way up to 8x.

Never, ever turn AA over 4x. It’s literally indistinguishable after that, and you’ll make your video card sweat for no reason. If you think you can tell the difference, you’re wrong.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Frogacuda - 18 October 2014 08:31 AM

Never, ever turn AA over 4x. It’s literally indistinguishable after that, and you’ll make your video card sweat for no reason. If you think you can tell the difference, you’re wrong.

Ha! I’ve got Tesla Effect set at 128 x AA. It’s only to see if my rig could run Cubase’s graphics mod at the very highest settings possible and do a couple of screenshots for him. (and yes, I can run it at the highest and still get 60 FPS).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Iznogood - 18 October 2014 08:27 AM

I will also argue that if this wasn’t a remake of a classic game, then instead of criticising and nitpicking the game, most people would instead be amazed of how much dialogue and content POS has been able to squeeze into the game on a supposedly small budget, or how long it is compared to most modern games, or how high the overall quality is…

But it is a remake. So for me, it has to be analyzed in the context of what does it improve, what does it fix, what does it add. And for me, it creates problems, bugs, and holes. It reduces voice acting quality. It adds simple “puzzles” that imo feel out of place most of the time. I dont give it extra points for not 100% messing up what was already there.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I’m running the game at 8x AA and it doesn’t make my video card sweat a single drop, and I don’t even have the newest high-end equipment, in fact it is getting quite old. Whether or not I can actually tell the difference is of course a different matter.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zane - 18 October 2014 08:45 AM

But it is a remake. So for me, it has to be analyzed in the context of what does it improve, what does it fix, what does it add. And for me, it creates problems, bugs, and holes. It reduces voice acting quality. It adds simple “puzzles” that imo feel out of place most of the time. I dont give it extra points for not 100% messing up what was already there.

The fact that it is a remake doesn’t change the quality (or lack of it if that is your opinion) of the game.

Whether or not this remake is actually an improvement over the original and adds to the game, well that depends a bit on how you look at it:

Is the experience I’m having playing the remake better than the experience that I had when I first played the original?
Difficult question to answer as It has been almost 20 years, all I can say is that I remember that I really enjoyed the original, but I’m also really enjoying playing the remake.

Is the experience I’m having playing the remake better than the experience I would have had, if I had decided to replay the original instead?
I would definitely say YES here!

Will the most hardcore fans enjoy the remake more than replaying the original?
Probably not.

Will someone who has never played the original, enjoy playing the remake more that finding an old copy of the original and playing that instead?
I will say YES to that, though this is of course only an educated guess.

Based on that, I will say that the remake has achieved exactly what a remake of an old classic is suppose to be.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Juan Pablo Carvajal - 18 October 2014 12:46 AM

Bad:
- The Napoleon House ad (doesn´t make any sense, Sam is retired…)

what drives me especially crazy about this, is that i offered the perfect solution to fix this during the beta.
Gabriel should ask grace to research jewelers. Grace comes up with a phone number, but its a very old number. Gabriel calls it and gets sams wife, who says this isnt a business number anymore, all sam ever does is play chess at the napoleon house.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Drusain - 18 October 2014 08:31 AM

We reworked the game so that all potential dead-ends are gone.

Great call. I can finally introduce the game to my wife.
Thanks for answering.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

zane - 18 October 2014 10:07 AM

what drives me especially crazy about The Napoleon House ad (doesn´t make any sense, Sam is retired…)

Much as it is a clear cock-up, which gives POS & JJs critics a stick to beat them with, but by the time the Beta testing was done, I’d imagine it was too late to change the script/dialogue at all. The voice acting would have been all done and getting actors back would have been, if possible at all, expensive. Now the issue is certainly one that should have been picked up earlier, but I don’t think it’s fair to criticise them for not altering it after the Beta testing.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The problem is that even though a comment like the above is technical correct, and would be fine if it was posted in a general thread about game development, then it is posted in a thread about the GK remake, which means that it heavily implies that POS are amateurs that doesn’t have the skills (and the budget) to make a good remake of the original game.

Well, it was made in response to comments from this thread, so I can hardly pull them completely out of their context and place them in a general thread, now, can I?
Especially since I can’t comment on them in regards to the GK remake, as I haven’t played it. But the gist of what was said holds true in general, so I just wanted to emphasize that…

The thing is that you can ask pretty much everybody about anything.
It might not make much sense to question your dear old grandma about the voodoo killings, but you can!
That also means that you will often have about 30 topics in a conversation, and with up to 5 questions in each topic, it can easily sum up to over a 100 Q&A in a single conversation, not including that you also need to show and ask about items in your inventory. So helping players who haven’t got the patience to ask all the questions by highlighting the most important topics is not a as such a bad decision, though I do wish it had been optional.

It’s just the statement that the highlighted topics aren’t ALL the important ones. If you want to highlight those, then it’s either all or none. “Most” is just confusing, which was my point.
I am glad that the ones you’ve already talked about get grayed-out (or disappear), though, as that was one of the shortcomings of the original.

Drusain - 18 October 2014 08:31 AM

You are also allowed to call back the elevator to put things in there in case you forget something.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my recollection that the elevator only goes back up if you’ve actually done everything you should in it in the original.

Out of curiosity: how are the deaths handled? Still “reload a save”, or do you go back to a point very close to where you died?

Iznogood - 18 October 2014 09:13 AM

The fact that it is a remake doesn’t change the quality (or lack of it if that is your opinion) of the game.

^ This. If you don’t like the remake, you will always have the original.
Stuff like Indiana Jones 4 and Die Hard 5 doesn’t destroy what came before. In fact, it can serve to drive home how good the others were…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 18 October 2014 11:28 AM

Out of curiosity: how are the deaths handled? Still “reload a save”, or do you go back to a point very close to where you died?

You can pick restore, or retry, which brings you near by.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

after a brisk nap - 18 October 2014 07:24 AM

In the second, they might draw the conclusion “They shouldn’t have made the game like this because they weren’t able to execute it well enough, so doing it differently might have led to a better game,” which is in fact constructive.

There is absolutely nothing constructive about that statement.  You’re still saying, “You shouldn’t have done this because I don’t like it.”  The only difference is that the IT that you don’t like is the graphics.  If you can’t point out specifics and suggest realistic alternatives (refusing to do the project is not a realistic alternative when you’re a business that makes adventure games and an industry veteran like Jane Jensen asks you to work on a project with her—that’s just silly,) then it’s no more constructive than your other example.

I suggest you play the game, or at least watch a bit of a thorough Let’s Play before making your decision.  On highest graphics settings, the game looks significantly better than most similar games that have used this graphical approach (3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds) that have come out in the last 5 years.

I will also argue that if this wasn’t a remake of a classic game, then instead of criticizing and nitpicking the game, most people would instead be amazed of how much dialogue and content POS has been able to squeeze into the game on a supposedly small budget, or how long it is compared to most modern games, or how high the overall quality is…

But instead there seems to be a lot of people who either never wanted the remake in the first place, or who have stared themselves blind on some minor issues, and aren’t prepared to give it a fair chance and judge it for what it is, instead of holding it up against some impossible ideal of what a remake of GK should be in their opinion.

QFT

Yeah, that’s pretty much true.  If your video card can handle the Beautiful graphics setting with AA at 4x, you can probably also handle the Fantastic setting with AA at 2x.  That way you’d be getting the sharpest possible backgrounds and most detailed possible shadows, which would help with the pop-up effect.

I’m also playing it on a newish laptop (last year) that has a decent card but isn’t set up to handle AAA 3D gaming.  It runs great for me at Fantastic with AA 2x.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Anyone else have any problem with saving the game?

Not the process in itself of saving, but closing the game, reopening it and carrying on?

Played all the way through to day 8, saved several times along the way and now I have nothing.

I was thoroughly enjoying it until this happened. It’s put me right off now Frown

EDIT: Found the problem. In the Mac version, for some reason POS decided to store the game saves in a cache folder, so when you clear your machine out, it removes the saves. Doh! Bad move methinks. It’s tainted what was shaping up to be an amazing remake for me Frown

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

dave_minall - 18 October 2014 01:26 PM

Not the process in itself of saving, but closing the game, reopening it and carrying on?

Played all the way through to day 8, saved several times along the way and now I have nothing.

I was thoroughly enjoying it until this happened. It’s put me right off now Frown

Are you supposed to be able to quit without saving and pick up where you left off?  I honestly haven’t tried that yet—I’m too used to manually saving before quitting.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lambonius - 18 October 2014 01:27 PM

Are you supposed to be able to quit without saving and pick up where you left off?  I honestly haven’t tried that yet—I’m too used to manually saving before quitting.

Just edited my initial post. Bad coding combined with unbeknowingly cleaning my cache.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

dave_minall - 18 October 2014 01:37 PM
Lambonius - 18 October 2014 01:27 PM

Just edited my initial post. Bad coding combined with unbeknowingly cleaning my cache.

Ah okay, I misunderstood you.  At least you figured out the issue.  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top