• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction Coming … Is Anyone Excited? 

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 30 August 2016 08:51 AM

That sucks. In what part are you having more problems? The teleporting at the borders or in blue/stone world?

I now understand what you mean by the blue/stone world. That one is immense! I’ve been cheating a little, but I do want to finish Obduction.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 01 September 2016 08:54 AM
wilco - 30 August 2016 08:51 AM

That sucks. In what part are you having more problems? The teleporting at the borders or in blue/stone world?

I now understand what you mean by the blue/stone world. That one is immense! I’ve been cheating a little, but I do want to finish Obduction.

The scale is impressive, makes you feel little.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Big patch was released, fixes the loading issua and other stuff

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Why oh why can’t I save manually? The game would be less impossible for directionally challenged people if they could restore a previous reference point and take it from there again until they can find their way. It’s a major grievance for me. A joy killer.

Cyan and many other game developers Pan

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Yeah, the lack of a proper save system is my biggest problem with it so far.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Karlok - 05 September 2016 03:26 PM

Why oh why can’t I save manually? The game would be less impossible for directionally challenged people if they could restore a previous reference point and take it from there again until they can find their way. It’s a major grievance for me. A joy killer.

Cyan and many other game developers Pan

Typical,neglecting fundamentals and bragging about being innovative.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I finally got to trying Obduction last night. Steam updated it right before.
On the second try I got past the new game selection screen.
Once it froze part way through the prologue.
Three times I made it through the prologue to the game title before hanging or crashing.

Then I gave up and played something else. Maybe I’ll wait and see if another round of patching does the trick…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jank is strong in this one, if these impressions are true.
Walkthrough on youtube made me dizzy too thanks to expansive nature, problem is its no witcher or Rapture but bland design with small pathways leading to old locations , back and forth.
Unless puzzles tickle your fancy the locations itself arent worthy enough to invest your time.
Then crappy plot of aliens tropes.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Oh, puzzles definitely tickle my fancy. If I’m playing the long-awaited new game from the Myst creators and it turns out they put in all the work on the story rather than the environments and puzzles, I’ll be sad.

But this ‘get the damn thing to run’ puzzle is too hard for me. I think I’ll have to wait for a walkthrough or a cheat.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m 3 or 4 hours into the game, and, while I’m enjoying it quite a bit, I would really, really, really like a map and a fast-travel option.

The world seems (unnecessarily) huge(*), and the layout is horribly complicated, especially with all the teleportation going on.

(*) And to think people were crying bloody murder because Syberia had a couple of empty screens… Let them explore that world with the ruins and the mist and the giant machines and basically nothing to do most of the time!

It feels like all my intellectual energy is spent trying to remember how to get from A to B and keeping track of the paths I haven’t explored yet and the locations I have to revisit; it’s exhausting, and, frankly, unpleasant. And I expect it’s only going to get worse (though at least it looks like you eventually open up shortcuts in the main world). Meh

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I didn’t think the hub world is that big but yeah, the shortcuts will help. The slowest part of that world were the train tracks puzzle. You really have to plan ahead to not risk having to slowly backtrack.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 06 September 2016 11:53 AM

I didn’t think the hub world is that big but yeah, the shortcuts will help.

It’s not necessarily huge, but the layout is a mess because of all the teleportation. For instance, at one point I encountered a tower somewhere that requires some sort of phone number to get in, but now I have no idea how to go back there, and it’s going to take me 20 minutes to figure it out when I finally need to.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 September 2016 12:15 PM
wilco - 06 September 2016 11:53 AM

I didn’t think the hub world is that big but yeah, the shortcuts will help.

It’s not necessarily huge, but the layout is a mess because of all the teleportation. For instance, at one point I encountered a tower somewhere that requires some sort of phone number to get in, but now I have no idea how to go back there, and it’s going to take me 20 minutes to figure it out when I finally need to.

That’s true, it gets confusing, using the map in Farley’s house and taking notes can help.

nomadsoul - 06 September 2016 12:05 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-a-myst-and-riven-superfan-thinks-of-obduction/

Nice article

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I finished it, but resorted to cheating. In spite of the frustrating bugs (photos!), some long loading times even in the middle of the game, no manual saves, and my non-existing sense of direction, I liked Obduction a lot. The story was interesting, most of the puzzles were either easy or doable, and the gameworld is very beautiful and immersive. I agree with Kurufinwe that some areas are unnecessarily huge. Impressive, atmospheric, but still too big. And I could have done without the many annoying Backer Rewards. Bad idea.

Nice details, for instance: [tiny spoiler alert]: I watched Farley’s hologram at her house twice, didn’t know what to make of it, but after finding the audio tape I listened to her hologram a third time and now everything made perfect sense.   Another example: You can have a look at all the chambers in the list. The acting is fine too. Robyn Miller is a better actor than his brother was in previous games.

This is one Kickstarter project I’m glad I backed. Four out of five stars.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top