• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 81: The Wolf Among Us

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My choices:

1. I didn’t send Colin to the farm.
2. I didn’t try to remove the ribbon.
3. I went to the Butcher Shop first.
4. I think I implied that Toad would be sent to the farm, but didn’t actually do anything to make that happen.
5. I promised Snow to bring the Crooked Man back alive. But now I’m in the room with him and his goons ... things may change.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Chapter 4 finished!

My choices:

1. I didn’t send Colin to the farm (I couldn’t help thinking of him being the main character of “Animal farm” if I sent him there…). I am too soft, I don’t like animals to suffer, so I would never do that to him…
2. I tried to remove the ribbon. I acted instinctively…
3. I went to the Lucky Pawn first. I thought it would be more interesting, and hell it was!
4. I didn’t send Toad to the farm. Same reason with Colin. I gave him Crane’s money. Not guilty at all.
5. I smoked a cigarrette. Typical Bigby, right?

What is the Crooked Man up to? Why is he so calm? Which ace keeps under his sleeve? I guess we’ll find out in the final chapter!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished episode 4! I’m enjoying the story, but maybe it’s moving forward a bit too fast? Or maybe that’s a consequence of there being no real challenge to overcome? Don’t remember having this feeling with TWD season 1 though, which I guess follows the same gameplay formula.

Not very many “aha” moments when meeting new characters or when characters take their fairy tale/fable form. I guess I know/remember too little of the original characters.

My Choices (thanks for the template @Chrissie.Smile):
1. I didn’t send Colin to the farm.
2. I attempted to remove Nerissa’s ribbon. I thought that was what she hinted that I should do.
3. I went to the Cut Above first.
4. I gave toad Crane’s money so that he could buy glamour instead of going to the farm.
5. I agreed to talk to the Crooked Man.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

My choices in episode 4:

1. Didn’t give Colin an answer.
2. Tried to remove Narissa’s ribbon.
3. Went to the Pawn Shop first.
4. Did not send Toad to the farm and gave him the money Crane must have stolen from the Office, so totally justified after all the damage the sheriff caused.
5. Told Snow no guarantees the Crooked Man will be brought back alive.

Varia:
- At the Cut Above, they offer a Willingham’s cheese sandwich.
- I noticed the red-haired guy we met before in the apartment building. This time he was driving Bigby’s cab.
- I loved the way Colin and doctor Swineheart said goodbye to each other at the beginning of the episode. Imo Colin is entitled to call him Swiney, but doctor Swineheart has no reason to show contempt for Colin just because he’s a pig. Smile

My advice to people who are new to TWAU and haven’t played the last episode yet: At some point Bigby must choose between following Georgie or someone else. Follow Georgie. Makes the difference between witnessing something important or being told about it after the fact.

IronCretin - 15 February 2024 10:06 PM

Nerissa smokes “Shorette Slims” cigarettes. A quick google search revealed “They’re named after Episode 1 writer Pierre Shorette, who has a nasty cigar habit.

I didn’t know that. I thought “shorette” referred to the shore where Nerissa took her prince after she saved him.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

While we haven’t been given the go ahead, I took a quick peak at the start of Episode 5. I felt like I was in the middle pf a Jason Bourne movie. Quite exciting!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Another chapter finished. My choices:

I decided Colin should not go to the farm. 85%
Did not try to remove Nerissa’s ribbon. 63.8%
Went to the Cut Above first. 63.2%
I decided Toad should not go to the farm. 73.3%
Agreed to talk with Crooked Man first. 41.8%
its interesting how people didn’t want to talk with Crooked Man. It seemed to me whatever action i would take it would lead anyway to talking with him so no reason to show i’ m violent from the start.

Another interesting episode. Pretty interested to see how this ends.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, I know we haven’t all checked in yet, but I think it’s got to be time for…

Let’s finish this.

Episode 4 ended with our visit to the Crooked Man which might have played out differently than you were expecting.

However in Episode 5 we need to find the truth, we still have some pretty big scores to settle and how about some resolution, or even justice? Surely we’ve seen the extent of what Bigby can do already haven’t we?

I won’t say much more other than that there are certainly going to be some QTE’s in this episode but don’t sweat them, you’re going to manage just fine so there’s no need for frustration.

There are also more twists and turns to follow, the story ain’t over until it’s over.

No finish date for this one obviously, but please do share your choices when you get there. Same for those still working through episode 4.

Choices this time are:

1. What did you do to Georgie?
2. Did you give the Crooked Man a trial?
3. How did you punish the Crooked Man?
4. Did you accept TJ’s gift for Snow?
5. What were your last words to Nerissa.

Obviously I’m looking forwards to reading your impressions of the episode, and indeed the whole game and how it ends. It would also be cool to hear what you think about the ‘choice’ elements in the game. Is it real choice? Does it work for you? Does it matter?

Let’s get into this!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll save the questions for later. As you know this is my first Teltale game, and, thus, my first time playing the Wolf Ampong Us. I found the ending of the game satisfactory, but a little unrewarding.

As I mentioned earlier, the intro to this chapter felt a lot like a Bourne movie. Maybe a little too much so. Once the chaos resolved itself, there was little to do but sit back and watch the movie unfold. The manner of Georgie’s death was satisfactory in that he refused to become judge and jury. The girl’s suicide was expected, but disconcerting.

The fight scene at the factory went on far longer than it needed to. I still don’t know what Bloody Mary’s role was. I did allow us to see the real Bigby however. And we did get to seen Crooked Man make his case for Bigby delivering him to trial.

As for the trial itself, I really don’t know if it made sense one way or the other. Crooked Man made his defense. The fables defended him, until they didn’t. The prosecution made its case, and fairly or not, it was up to Bigby to carry out the sentence. Re: that action, I don’t know whether he was or wasn’t doing Crooked Man a favor.

I guess I will know better how I was supposed to feel when I read everyone else’s responses.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, game finished!

First, my choices for Chapter 5:

1. What did you do to Georgie? I killed Georgie. He was a piece of shit, but I was able to understand why he did what he did.
2. Did you give the Crooked Man a trial? Yes, but mainly because I love Snow and I know I would lose her if I didn’t.
3. How did you punish the Crooked Man? I locked him up, again because of Snow.
4. Did you accept TJ’s gift for Snow? Of course, didn’t I say I love Snow?
5. What were your last words to Nerissa. I’ve made a lot of mistakes.

Tomorrow I will comment further. I loved the game even though it wasn’t very challenging.

But last words from Nerissa keep resounding in my head: “You’re not as bad as everyone says you are.” Where have I heard that before…?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m done!

My choices:

1. What did you do to Georgie? Killed him.
2. Did you give the Crooked Man a trial? Yes.
3. How did you punish the Crooked Man? He was eventually turned into a bird.
4. Did you accept TJ’s gift for Snow? Yes.
5. What were your last words to Nerissa? I hope I’ve done some good.

I enjoyed the game, but did not love it. The QTE based gameplay wasn’t very well executed imo. I missed proper feedback when I did something right or wrong. Sometimes it didn’t seem to really matter whether or not I pushed the correct button. The choice based gameplay didn’t do that much for me, but maybe I’ll change my mind if I play the game a second time (or use the time shifting thing).

The investigative parts were good and I wish the gameplay would have evolved more around that element with a few puzzles thrown in instead of relying on QTE:s for the challenge.

On the positive side: story, graphics and voiceacting. Would definitely be interested in a sequel. I’d probably give this one a 7/10.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

About Nerissa’s very last words: I see four possibilities and IMO all four stories have large black holes we must fill with our fantasies and conjectures. Loooong. Based on my posts in the 2016 TWAU thread. Read at your own peril. Tongue

1) Faith at Woody’s + Nerissa’s glamoured head left by Faith who is glamoured as Nerissa from now on. N must have been glamoured and killed after F’s visit to Woody, or the matching bruises and cuts wouldn’t be there. There’s no evidence that a glamour can change “a double” after death, that new bruises on the living person appear on a dead body. Far too much to swallow. And the girls would have to be glamoured as each other at the same time. Why would Nerissa do such an immensely stupid thing when she had betrayed Faith and must have feared some consequences from Georgie and/or the Crooked Man. What was she supposed to do as Faith, take over one of Faith’s later appointments after they had a fight as shown in one of the pics? Not likely. Besides, if we are to believe Faith’s story at the end (but that is a big IF), there was no time for the girls to talk before Georgie started the killings.

2) Nerissa glamoured as Faith at Woody’s + Nerissa’s glamoured head left by Faith. It gets even more convoluted: N covering for F who is supposed to cover for L.  I can’t think of a single reason why Nerissa would glamour as Faith to visit the Woodsman, who was expecting Lily. And how would Faith know what Nerissa had said to Bigby? Impossible scenario.

3) Nerissa glamoured as Faith at Woody’s + Faith’s head left by Nerissa. Same convoluted problem, unless Faith was killed before N’s visit to the Woodsman. But that’s highly unlikely. One of the photos in the factory shows Faith kissing Bigby’s cheek. Hardly plausible that one of the henchmen took that pic when Faith had already been killed, they would not appreciate someone glamoured as Faith being friendly to the sheriff.  So we’re facing the same plot holes as in scenario 2 and 1 (no bruises on F).

4)  Faith at Woody’s + Faith’s head. This is the story we’ve played. Everything makes sense, including details like Faith telling Bigby “I won’t be doing this much longer”. Nerissa’s parting words are the big black hole. If we believe this version is the truth then, for reasons unknown, F must have told N about her conversation with Bigby. But the girls had a fallout in the pic (Nerissa coming clean to Faith?) and according to Nerissa’s story at the end they didn’t see each other before Georgie started the killings. Or it’s just a coincidence. Everybody seems to use the same goodbyes (see you around), even Bloody Mary.

I am going with the 4th scenario. BTW, I noticed for the first time that Nerissa is shown with Faith’s bag from episode 1 when she visits Bigby in his office. Of course that doesn’t prove a thing, it’s just one of those little details I like.

Unanswered questions: Why did Faith leave the donkey coat at Woody’s place? Doesn’t make sense, pinned note and all. (Makes even less sense if it was Nerissa.)

Why did Bluebeard burn some of Crane’s stuff if you let him go to Crane’s apartment first? I guess we are supposed to conclude that Crane had something on Bluebeard. In that case Crane should have blackmailed B. instead of stealing money from the office.

Nerissa claims she wanted to warn Lily but couldn’t find her. How is that possible when the time and place of the appointment with Crane was in the book.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

1. What did you do to Georgie? I kind of thought he would live. After all, Bigby suffered like 30 shotgun shells. But, I left him to die - was hoping that would mean telling Swineheart.
2. Did you give the Crooked Man a trial? Yes. Seemed the most likely way to change how things are down in Fabletown. Though, it didn’t really seem to.
3. How did you punish the Crooked Man? He grabbed Bigby, so I did not have too many choices. He ended up getting thrown down the Witching Well in a bit of a scuffle.
4. Did you accept TJ’s gift for Snow? Hell yeah!
5. What were your last words to Nerissa. “I hope I’ve done some good here.”

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Just a quick overall impression. I remember really liking this one when I first played it. This time, it never really got the momentum up. I loved Bigby’s final form and generally the vibes were good. There was just a lot unanswered about the world - what is the farm like; what happens when all the mundies see a wolf running down a main street? what are the bounds of the magic? The world did not feel particularly lived in and I am not sure I felt like my choices resonated too much. Each episode was a bit formulaic, too. Don’t get me wrong, I really did enjoy it, but it was not my favorite replay of a game - and its standing in the back catalog of TellTale games has slipped. I’m interested to see what they change up for the sequel, gameplay-wise. Some of my complaints are clearly due to techological limitations (lack of background characters), but some felt lazy (re-using a LOT of scenes with little modification).

Most of all, though, thanks all for sharing a playthrough! It has been fun reading everyone elses’ choices and your thoughts - little details you all saw and shared.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My choices with a few caveats:

1. What did you do to Georgie? I let him die.
2. Did you give the Crooked Man a trial? It was either that or have him shoot me with a silver bullet. Not much of a choice even if I did promise Snow to bring him back alive.
3. How did you punish the Crooked Man? The game I “played” gave me no choice. So I broke his neck and threw him down the Wishing Well. That said, I understand there was another choice, which was to let him rot in jail for the rest of his miserable life. That would have been my choice.
4. Did you accept TJ’s gift for Snow? Of course.
5. What were your last words to Nerissa. “I hope I have done some good.” Or words to that effect.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

On completing the game I thought I’d start with my choices:

1. Yes, I killed Georgie – it seemed to be more humane than leaving him to die slowly. (I’d forgotten that Fabletown characters can sometimes recover from their injuries)
2. Yes, I gave the Crooked Man a trial.
3. I did throw the Crooked Man down the Witching Well but only after he attacked me after initially choosing to lock him up.
4. Yes, I accepted TJ’s gift for Snow
5. My last words to Nerissa were “I hope I’ve done some good”.

I nearly gave up finishing the game on account of the QTEs at the beginning of Chapter 5. It took me several very frustrating attempts to prevent Georgie stabbing me to death

rtrooney - 22 February 2024 07:48 PM

…The fight scene at the factory went on far longer than it needed to. I still don’t know what Bloody Mary’s role was. I did allow us to see the real Bigby however.

Surprisingly, after finding the sequences in the Crooked Man’s office so difficult I found defeating Bloody Mary almost a piece of cake in comparison.

Veovis - 25 February 2024 04:00 AM

The investigative parts were good and I wish the gameplay would have evolved more around that element with a few puzzles thrown in instead of relying on QTEs for the challenge.

I completely agree as although for the most part they were little more than a nuisance, for me, they disrupted the flow of the story especially on repeating failed actions.

walas74 - 22 February 2024 11:10 PM

But last words from Nerissa keep resounding in my head: “You’re not as bad as everyone says you are.” Where have I heard that before…?

Of course Faith said it to Bigby in Chapter 1 so I’m going along with this possibility:

Karlok - 25 February 2024 11:12 AM

1) Faith at Woody’s + Nerissa’s glamoured head left by Faith who is glamoured as Nerissa from now on. N must have been glamoured and killed after F’s visit to Woody, or the matching bruises and cuts wouldn’t be there.

I’m still trying to get my head around how & why this could be possible but does explain why Bigby might choose to go after her as he obviously had feelings for her. I’m still thinking…..!

Overall, QTEs aside, I loved everything else about the game:  artwork, story, music, voice-acting etc & looking forward to a sequel.
I’m not a great fan of alternative endings & did enjoy making choices in this game that did make some subtle differences.
I did come across one inconsistency though. I know I chose in a previous chapter not to burn Greenleaf’s tree but Greenleaf in the last chapter mentioned that her tree had been burnt.
I’m guessing that some of the choices unlock Fables? I was left with 8 still locked.

Additional trivia

chrissie - 15 February 2024 06:47 PM

I did briefly spot the hanging man in the YT footage which I missed in my playthrough. I know it’s an image often used on Tarot cards & there are Tarot cards on the office desk so perhaps that’s the connection?

Karlok - 15 February 2024 07:30 PM

PS: The hanging man on the Tarot card is hanging upside down. I don’t think that’s the connection.

I wasn’t aware that the hanging man on the Tarot was portrayed as hanging upside down so I agree that’s not the connection.
So, I wondered whether the hanging man in the office background was a reference to the tree rather than a specific person. I originally thought that the tree could be the tree of life but maybe it’s the real-life Hangman’s Elm in New York (also called the Hanging Tree) which has a legend associated with it?

Towards the end of Chapter 5 there’s quite a prominent sign on a building: Yellowbrick Roadhouse

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top