• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 08 April 2015 08:03 PM

I was wondering how your surgery went, Timo.  It’s good to hear you’re healing up nicely, and I hope it’s helping with your apnea.

It’s not helping yet, but that was to be expected the first weeks until everything’s healed.
Surgery itself went great, so the healing process should go relatively smoothly. And I’ve got lots of painkillers to help with the pain. One of them makes me slightly drowsy, though.
Biting and swallowing was hell the first week, but that’s starting to go better, which means I can finally eat normal food again. I started to really miss it… Tongue

But on the plus side: I have to lose 30-40 pounds this year (as an extra measure against the sleep apnea), and just eating liquids for a week took care of 10 pounds. Cool

tsa - 08 April 2015 10:23 PM

Indeed, congratulations on having that behind you! I hope the surgery will have the desired effect! Did you have to drink those thick protein drinks from these small plastic bottles?

I avoided those drinks like the plague, opting for milkshakes, yoghurt, pudding and different types of vegetable purees instead.
That started to irk after a few days, though, so I was really glad to be able to eat regular food again yesterday. Tongue

UPtimist - 09 April 2015 04:23 AM

Yay! It’s great that you’re back Smile Everything a-okay?

Back? I never left! Wink
Having your tonsils and uvula removed (among other things) is really just a minor operation. The whole thing probably only took fifteen-twenty minutes and I was back home after one night at the hospital. Full recovery takes at least three weeks, though…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Oh my.

I can’t believe that a thread that I authored has proved so popular after all this time.

I just finished watching the second season of The Comeback today, and I found it ever so jarring when the show alluded to the fact that its original run was 10 years ago.

At first I couldn’t believe it, but sure enough it was right, because 2005 was the year I joined here, and I remember repeating jokes from that show in the forum, something about a box of puppies being Korean barbecue.

Anyway, 10 years seemed like an awfully long time (technically 9.5 as I joined in October 05) so I thought I’d pop back and say hi to anyone who might still remember me, as I haven’t been a regular around these parts in quite some time.

Hope all my adventure buddies are doing well. Smile

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

tsa - 27 February 2015 05:54 PM

I just heard he was 83 when he died. I wonder if he was satisfied with his life. Playing Spock for so long must not have been easy. Those ears don’t get like that by themselves.

Apparently he was so sick of getting those ears glued on each day during the filming of The Original Series, that a few of the crew played a prank on him, and told him that he could have plastic surgery to temporarily alter them to make it easier, and he fell for it.

TimovieMan - 27 February 2015 08:20 PM

He did have some issues with only being associated with Spock that he named his autobiography “I Am Not Spock” back in 1975.
He did come to terms with it, though, and since his first book lead some people to believe he resented the role (he didn’t, just his constant association with it that made him unable to play anything else), he consequently wrote the book “I Am Spock” a few years later.

Well it’s not quite as simplistic as all that. If you listen to his accounts he recalls that he wrote the whole book and then the publisher asked for a title, insisting that “Spock” be a part of it, so people knew who it was about. He chose “I am not Spock”, not because he wished to reject the character in any way, but simply to differentiate himself, the actor, from the character, as they were not the same individual. The publisher suggested that books with a negative title, i.e. “not” did not sell as well, but he went with it anyway, and it didn’t seem to hamper sales.

TimovieMan - 27 February 2015 08:20 PM

His reading of the technology quotes in Civilization IV is one of the absolute high points on what is possibly the best strategy game ever made…

I’ll forever cherish him in that. He made the game magical with his narration.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Jatsie! Good to see you again. What’s the hap(p)s?

You inspired me to go to the first page of this thread… So many great people who haven’t been around anymore! Where have all the flowerspeople gone..?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oh hey, it’s the Official Killer™ of Thread Must Die!™ !!! Cool

Welcome back, Jatsie, how are things?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Hi Jatsie, nice to see you again! How’s life? Mine’s still more or less the same Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

1. Mouth/troat surgery
2. Eating liquid food for a week
3. Eating lots of dairy products, since they’re mostly liquid
4. ???
5. Kidney stones!

This has been a painful evening… Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Oh man, sorry to hear that Timo. Hope they shift soon! Meh

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 13 April 2015 03:24 PM

1. Mouth/troat surgery
2. Eating liquid food for a week
3. Eating lots of dairy products, since they’re mostly liquid
4. ???
5. Kidney stones!

This has been a painful evening… Shifty Eyed

Argh I can feel them in my winky now!
Actually I’ve never had them but I can imagine how they must feel.
When I was still a student one of my fellow students put some of his kidney stones in a Röntgen diffractometer to see if there were any crystals in there. I guess there weren’t because I never heard the outcome of that experiment.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 13 April 2015 04:11 PM

Oh man, sorry to hear that Timo. Hope they shift soon! Meh

I hope so too.

tsa - 13 April 2015 04:43 PM

Actually I’ve never had them but I can imagine how they must feel.

Never had them before either. They’re more painful than I thought they would be. Possibly the second most painful thing I ever experienced (the most painful being a ripped-off toenail).

Good thing I still have some painkillers left from the surgery…

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I do volunteer work as a photographper for one of the local museums. During the last three months we got a lot of big jobs that had to be finished in two days or less. Most people think that taking a picture takes only a fraction of a second, but to get an historcal object photographed in such a way thay you can clearly see its features and its condition well takes a lot of fiddling with the lighting, position of the object and the camera settings. After taking the picture we have to make sure the white balance is set correctly and the background is removed. That takes even more time than taking the picture. Of course people never take that into account. Tomorrow someone wants to have 125 maps photographed. It has to be ready the same day. Of course that will not happen. Today I realized that I really do work too hard because of all this. That is never good. So I take Tuesday off and to preserve my health I will say ‘No’ more often from now on.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

125!? That’s insane! If I counted correctly, with my rough estimate of 10 minutes per map (taking into account setting it up)*, you’re looking at over 20 hours of photography Tongue

But hey, cool “job”. You do it totally pro bono, though? How’d you get into it?

*) Of course my estimate is based on absolutely nothing Tongue

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

This will be a bit faster than 10 minutes per map but you’re probably not far off.
How did I get into it? I just sent the museum a letter in which I applied for a volunteer job. At first I was rejected but two days later I got a phone call and I was hired the same week Smile Someone else had looked at my CV and decided that I had to be ‘hired’ and I could basically choose what I wanted to do. It’s great to be smart Smile

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Hey Jatise! Good to see you.
I’m not much of a regular anymore either (being on fb since my children moved out), but I do pop in every now and then.
Hope you’re doing well, still sitting by that table with cigars on. Wink

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Heeey, Jelena! It’s great to see you around, too! Smile

In other news, we have a new parliament! And oh boy, is it awful! Now it’s just a matter of deciding the government and seeing just how regressive we’re going to get.

Sometimes I can’t believe I’m living in a society with so many people who vote for people like this into the parliament… Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top