• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

aaroncarney - 21 January 2014 11:10 PM

I’ve just played the new Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival game. Pretty good, good length, okay story, GOOD puzzles. The only issue I had was that sometimes they re-used some of the puzzles towards the end of the game (maybe to just prolong it) which got a little boring.

This was the first MCF game. It has been know by several titles since it first appeared. Madam Fate is one I remember.

Becky - 22 January 2014 12:16 AM

Just brainstorming here—maybe a comparison of MCF: Fate’s Carnival and an adventure game set in a carnival—maybe Tony Tough and the Night of the Roasted Moths?

Good thought although I would not select Madam Fate as the carnival game. There’s another one out there that I’ve played that is much better. I’ll have to go to my BFG purchase history to did up the name.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

rtrooney - 21 January 2014 09:18 PM

Still love the GF/Calavera pairing. If only one of the two could be found at a reasonable price and could be made to play on a modern machine.

Have you seen this?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/239339/how_to_play_grim_fandango_on_your_windows_7_pc.html

I have used it and GF plays just fine.  It is as easy to set up as the article says.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 22 January 2014 11:08 AM

Have you seen this?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/239339/how_to_play_grim_fandango_on_your_windows_7_pc.html

I have used it and GF plays just fine.  It is as easy to set up as the article says.

Thanks for the information. That solves half the problem. The “reasonable price” part still remains. As the article said, the game didn’t sell very well. Ergo, the number of games, (both new and used,) is somewhat limited.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 22 January 2014 10:46 AM

Good thought although I would not select Madam Fate as the carnival game. There’s another one out there that I’ve played that is much better. I’ll have to go to my BFG purchase history to did up the name.

Any carnival game that you would recommend would be great! I’m curious as to which one it is.

I might do some more brainstorming for other thematic pairings just for fun. A very intriguing idea, that.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The game is Dreamland.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hi Tim—I’ve played about an hour into Dreamland, and I think it would be an intriguing contrast to Tony Tough. Both have a carnival setting with a rescue theme going on. Tony Tough was clearly inspired by the classic LucasArts adventures, and Dreamland is a well-put-together example of a casual HOPA, with puzzles and graphics that are typical to the genre. It has a few more HO screens than I would prefer, but that isn’t at all unusual.  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There are a few VERY difficult puzzles in Dreamland. At least one would have the standard adventurer tearing his or her hair out. And I think I know what your “Hell Puzzle” was in Emerald Maiden. The trading pipes to connect outlets to screws was impossible. I do not like to skip puzzles, but I was willing to make an exception for this one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I agree—the pipes puzzle was extremely tough. The toughest puzzle in the game, IMHO, takes place in the bonus section - it’s a radio wavelength puzzle.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-09-05

PM

rtrooney - 22 January 2014 11:48 AM
furgotten - 22 January 2014 11:08 AM

Have you seen this?

Thanks for the information. That solves half the problem. The “reasonable price” part still remains. As the article said, the game didn’t sell very well. Ergo, the number of games, (both new and used,) is somewhat limited.

Grim Fandango, Sam & Max , The Dig and Full Throttle was released in DVD type cases some years ago. Sometimes this edition isgetting sold on e-Bay.
I just got the Entertainment Pack, which includes all 4 games.
So, just keep searching on e-Bay

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 22 January 2014 04:30 PM

Hi Tim—I’ve played about an hour into Dreamland, and I think it would be an intriguing contrast to Tony Tough. Both have a carnival setting with a rescue theme going on. Tony Tough was clearly inspired by the classic LucasArts adventures, and Dreamland is a well-put-together example of a casual HOPA, with puzzles and graphics that are typical to the genre. It has a few more HO screens than I would prefer, but that isn’t at all unusual.  Smile

You may have noticed that I threw in a casual game challenge with my last post of the CPT. I doubt anyone will take up the challenge, but I thought it was worth a shot.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I saw your post. I’m a bit late to the party when it comes to House of 1000 Doors. I finished Family Secrets recently, and am partway into The Palm of Zoroaster. If I jumped straight to Serpent’s Flame and didn’t finish Palm of Zoroaster, would I miss much?

I’m starting to replay Tony Tough and I’m also playing Dreamland to see if they’d be good to play together in case we wanted to submit them as part of the next CPT vote.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Stick with Zoroaster. I thought it was a fun game, and the time travel and one similar location reminded me of the CPT we’re playing.

I think someone else mentioned Serpent’s Flame in a reply to my comment. Would appear we have a closet Casual Gamer in the CPT. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 28 January 2014 06:54 PM

Stick with Zoroaster. I thought it was a fun game, and the time travel and one similar location reminded me of the CPT we’re playing.

Sounds good.

I recently finished Empress of the Deep 3: Legacy of the Phoenix. The plot is similar to that of Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale—Empress Anna is proceeding through various fantastical environments, discovering what she needs to know and collecting what she needs to acquire to take her rightful place and save her people. During this mission she is aided and/or stymied by a two-headed wizard, her sister Pandora, and her ever-pompous advisor Jacob.

Puzzles include inventory item challenges, morphing object screens, list-based Hidden Objects, and the occasional mini-game. There’s also an unusual set of HO-like puzzles where you are shown small details from the current screen and must locate them (I enjoyed these a lot).  A map reveals the various locations and shows you where you are and where you should be headed. Unfortunately, the map doesn’t allow fast travel to various locations. A diary keeps track of your progress and holds important documents and images that can be referred to during puzzle sequences.

Puzzles are easy to medium in terms of difficulty, and they play second fiddle to the amazing environments you wander through. I mainly assume the role of Empress Anna in order to discover and gape at what lies around the next corner. Environments have a 3D effect and are extremely detailed and beautifully lit. Huge statues and other monumental structures loom over the walkways and giant trees twist their way right into the heart of buildings. Animations include blowing clouds, flocks of birds, drifting dust motes and tongues of flame. This game gives you the sense that you are walking through the environments, not just clicking through a series of screens.

I played the Collector’s Edition, which contains a bonus chapter with one new area and a game called Zem 2. Winning at Zem 2 opens up concept art, and these images are surprisingly informative. They give you a sense of how the environments were built, showing models of the 3D constructions at various stages before all the colors, textures, lighting and additional objects were layered in. Another nice feature – you can still wander around the world after the game is over, unlike many casual games where the autosave function shuts you out of the gameworld once the game is completed.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I enjoyed House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster right up until the end. I like visiting the different locations across the globe. So many casual games seem to be set in Europe—even the fantasy worlds are derived from European myths and fairy tales. I wish more HO games had exotic locations like these. More globetrotting, please!

I was thrilled to finally meet Gabriel (stories of his exploits were dropped occasionally during the game). He said hello and politely told me he’d answer all my questions—as soon as I’d saved the house. And then the game ended.

I suspect the questions were answered in the bonus chapter, which of course, I didn’t buy.  Frown

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Nope, nope they aren’t. The bonus chapter follows the tribal/shaman dude on his way to meet you, the protagonist.. Hmm.. That might be the third game in the series, when I think about it.
Anyway, the series has a knack for just not answering your questions. Better get used to it if you’re going to continue to the snakes, that game really ends on a cliff hanger!
Wink

I was so miffled to not get any answers when playing that game! Pan

Edit: Reading up on it, it seems the bonus chapter is supposed to “reveal Gabriel’s past”. It’s weird, I know I’ve played it, as I’ve bought the CE version of all the 1000 doors games, but I cannot remember what it was about. I suspect you go back in time and play Gabriel as a young man dealing with the house. I’m pretty sure it’s not as revolutionary as the description lets on, and I know he doesn’t answer any questions.

I will say though, that the series is generally worth the CE. the bonus chapters are longer and more substantial than many other HOGs’ bonus games, and they actually tell a proper story. I’m not sure they’re worth buying again just for the bonus when one has already bought them though.

One thing I really wish HOG sites would be better at, was telling you if the CE is worth buying or not. I always buy CEs because I don’t like losing any part of the story, but that has left me with some rather big stinkers, and I never get to use my stamp card code. BFG reviewers are generally horrible at actually telling you practical info about the game; length, difficulty, story and bonus, etc..  Shifty Eyed

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top