• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter fatigue?

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Resonance wasn’t really a Kickstarted game, but Vince raised ~$2k back in 2009 after initially asking for $150 so he could submit it to the IGF. And the game didn’t come out until two years after the release estimate he gave in his campaign. Wink

This is an interesting article... not a new one, but I hadn’t seen it before. It’s not specific to games, but it gives a statistic that overall 75% of Kickstarter projects are delivered late, and this is especially likely for projects that are over funded. (This article was written in January, before DFA was delayed, and in fact Double Fine isn’t mentioned at all.)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Agustín Cordes - 27 August 2013 02:52 PM

Stuart has already mentioned U55. This new adventure is also unique and I think it deserves support: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ghostinabottle/octopus-city-blues

Amazingly appealing style, looks like a forgotten gem from the Amiga era. Very quirky, and the humor works!

That Pixel Art! That Music! :o
Thanks for posting,it must succeed. Right up my alley.
Must have its own thread.

Bonsai - 27 August 2013 10:31 AM

^^^This sums up my impressions as well.  There are some great games looking for funding like End of the Line that deserve our attention.  No burnout here.

Amazing stuff, managed to build tension better than Outlast. Atleast someone out
there taking inspiration from DarkcornersoftheEarth.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

This is an interesting article... not a new one, but I hadn’t seen it before. It’s not specific to games, but it gives a statistic that overall 75% of Kickstarter projects are delivered late, and this is especially likely for projects that are over funded. (This article was written in January, before DFA was delayed, and in fact Double Fine isn’t mentioned at all.)

This doesn’t surprise me at all. A developer starts a kickstarter with a certain game scope and budget in mind and based on that they already have to submit an estimated release date.
Then if the developer gets more funds, say 800% like with Doublefine, they feel compelled to change the scope and end up delivering a completely different product than initially envisioned.

Even though they have the funds to establish a bigger team and deliver a bigger game, it’s very unlikely that they can still deliver on time. Bigger teams don’t always work with the same effectiveness as smaller ones and you certainly can’t assume that twice the team size is twice more concrete results.
My guess is that DoubleFine started calculating the workload this way. They certainly didn’t foresee they would lose so much effort in overhead. (rewards mgmt and a lot more project mgmt support)

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

No, they did foresee that. What they didn’t foresee or, to put it more accurately maybe, overlooked is by how much larger the scope of the game grew than the raised money was able to cover. Thankfully so far they found ways to cover the costs irregardlessly.

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

They definitely couldn’t have foreseen how big it got! But, obviously, some budgeting errors were made. I’m also glad they say they’ll be able to cover it with their own money.

That kind of overfunding would definitely create pressure to do more though. The backers will probably expect it, and at this point, stretch goals are a necessary thing—heck, in most cases, people post what they are (or at least, that they have them) at launch. And things get expensive for the dev quickly. One thing we didn’t even think about, for example, was the cost of overseas shipping. We didn’t include that in our tiers, but if we do another kickstarter, we definitely will.

It’s an interesting dance of figuring what extra to promise without also breaking your bank.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I don’t know if it’s fatigue, or just that potential Kickstarter backers are more savvy - and actual effort has to be put into game projects.  Also, scope and budget may have to be toned down, as there may not be enough interest to generate large budgets.  Like many have said, it really all depends on the project.  What’s become clear is that you can’t have a campaign that has very vague outlines and little communication from project leaders.

Also, just to note, irregardless isn’t a proper word.  <winky>

Bt

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Here’s your Kickstarter fatigue: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/neverending-nightmares

They will undoubtedly hit their goal, perhaps even surpass it by a wide margin. Again, it’s all about presentation and communication—just compare that campaign to others. It also helps that the game is looking deliciously terrifying!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Brian Fargo had the stretches in mind when he did Torment KS. He said he intentinally made the base design modular so, that the new additions would be easier to implement. I think you could call that a sort of DLC kind of thinking: design the game, but keep in mind you might want to add something in it, so make decision points in the design in order to make implementation easier.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Blackthorne - 28 August 2013 09:53 AM

Bt

It is for me! Tongue And it will be for everyone if everyone starts using it. Wink

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

ozzie - 28 August 2013 02:12 PM
Blackthorne - 28 August 2013 09:53 AM

Bt

It is for me! Tongue And it will be for everyone if everyone starts using it. Wink

All right.  But this just validates my lifelong quest to make “Klarflogon” an everyday word.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

ozzie - 28 August 2013 02:12 PM

Everyone already uses it. It’s been a controversy for over 200 years, and most dictionaries DO contain the word (but mention that it’s either ‘nonstandard’ or ‘incorrect’). Smile
Informal internet slang dictates it’s perfectly ok to use it… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Blackthorne - 28 August 2013 02:15 PM

All right.  But this just validates my lifelong quest to make “Klarflogon” an everyday word.

Bt

Ooh, nice word you have there, I’ll add it to my vocabulary, irregardless of the fact that I have barely a clue what it could possibly mean.
Lemme try it in context: “After the day long trek through the mountains I was so desperately hungry that I klarflogoned a whole lamb haunch down my throat in one piece without even taking the time to chew it properly first.”

Does that read right to you? Tongue

TimovieMan - 28 August 2013 02:47 PM

Everyone already uses it. It’s been a controversy for over 200 years, and most dictionaries DO contain the word (but mention that it’s either ‘nonstandard’ or ‘incorrect’). Smile
Informal internet slang dictates it’s perfectly ok to use it… Cool

Oh great, NOW you tell me. First I feel proudly individual as if I were a unique precious snowflake, and then you ruin it by telling me that I was part of the establishment all along! Great! Wonderful! Awesome! Angry  Wink

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Ozzie, you absolutely nailed the usage of the word!

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

ozzie - 28 August 2013 02:54 PM

Oh great, NOW you tell me. First I feel proudly individual as if I were a unique precious snowflake, and then you ruin it by telling me that I was part of the establishment all along! Great! Wonderful! Awesome! Angry  Wink

You’ve been klarflogoned, methinks… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

*ahem*

Back on topic? Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top