• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PRECINCT (Adventure game by Police Quest creator, former officer Jim Walls!!!!)

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Just for the record, you CAN back at lower than $30.  $30 is just the first tier that gets you a copy of the game when it’s finished.  Which is still bullshit, but it seemed like there might have been some confusion on that.

I’m just really turned off by what appears to be Telltale-style “gameplay.”  Choose-your-own-Adventure options do not an adventure game make.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Lucien21 - 16 July 2013 02:26 PM

I wish they had some new ideas. Double Fine was funded for an original idea, but nobody else seems to have followed that example. Instead going for the easy option.

Instead of flogging a dead horse, I prefer the axiom “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Let’s be realistic here; if any of the successful Kickstarters since Double Fine were to post a Kickstarter project saying, “We’re going to make an adventure game.” They would get nowhere near the funding any of them have asked for.

Double Fine got it’s money because of Tim Schafer, not because of it being an adventure game. As I’ve said before, I know a lot of people who have never played adventure games, but have this adoration of Tim Schafer.

None of these other guys have any of this name recognition to go on, other than the classic adventure games they’re known for. So I think it’s fair that they’re doing what they can with what they’ve got…

That said, I think this project will struggle to reach it’s goal. I’m happy there aren’t a lot of physical tiers, because it eats up way too much of the money, but compared to other kickstarters this project just doesn’t offer many incentives for pledging larger amounts of money.

$30 is fine, I think. I think people need to look at backing this sort of thing on Kickstarter as more a matter of support, trying to help these guys recreate something we knew and loved, and to do that it may require more than the $8 or less typically forked out for an indie title.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

This is the one I’ve been waiting for and it looks interesting but I just can’t spare $30 right now… that’s one of the highest tiers to actually get a copy of the game I’ve come across on Kickstarter and I’ve backed many projects. $15 and I’d definitely back it, $20 I’d probably back it… $30 is just very high for someone like me (I thought they might have done a limited early backers lower price). I really hope it gets funded though, but $500,000 is ambitious to say the least.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Lucien21 - 16 July 2013 02:26 PM

AArrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The Sierra sequel factory gets back to flogging those horses.

I do understand that most of these kickstarters are being funded mainly due to nostaliga and maybe they wouldn’t be made otherwise, but the Sierra guys are playing it way too easy and safe.

Remake Larry
Make essentially a new Space Quest
and now a new Police Quest

I wish they had some new ideas. Double Fine was funded for an original idea, but nobody else seems to have followed that example. Instead going for the easy option.

A 2D adventure game in the style of Monkey Island is an “original idea”?

Making Police Quest 7: The Return of Sonny Bonds in full 3D with open-world elements (but still an adventure game) would be closer to an “original idea” than a proposal for yet another generic 2D adventure game.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Making Police Quest 7: The Return of Sonny Bonds in full 3D with open-world elements (but still an adventure game) would be closer to an “original idea” than a proposal for yet another generic 2D adventure game.

Yes it’s “original” in the same way Saw 7 was when it added 3D Tongue

I would be surprised if it was really had any open-world elements to it. LA Noire it ain’t. The video looks like you click respond and it auto drives you to the scene.

Just to be clear I’ve never said the game looks bad or will turn out to be rubbish, just that it is a safe idea to rip off or remake the same game they have already made 6 versions of.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I don’t know how Precinct doesn’t look original or interesting at all? I like having to tackle one overing a scene before exiting your vehicle, why providing support over the radio. It just seems like a really fun and definitive first person simulation version of Police Quest without resulting in the game becoming ‘SWAT’.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The main problem I see is that when all of the available options of things to do on any give screen are just presented to you in a straightforward list—what’s the point of playing?  Is it even a game anymore?  I mean, shit, at least Telltale actually has rudimentary scene exploration.  The stuff they’ve shown is just not a good representation of the potential of their idea.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

You can now pre-order just the game without the soundtrack for $19 if you back early (first 2500 copies).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct/posts/542192

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Lambonius - 18 July 2013 03:38 PM

The main problem I see is that when all of the available options of things to do on any give screen are just presented to you in a straightforward list—what’s the point of playing?  Is it even a game anymore?  I mean, shit, at least Telltale actually has rudimentary scene exploration.  The stuff they’ve shown is just not a good representation of the potential of their idea.

Agreed. I’m still excited but the gameplay in that video seemed overly simplistic. Hopefully the final game will feature much more developed mechanics.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Robert Lindsley said in the Kickstarter comments that they know there’s been a lot of gameplay questions and they’ll be updating with more detail soon, including moment-to-moment descriptions of the gameplay flow. That’s good because that’s what this pitch really needs.

This interview with Rock Paper Shotgun gives a taste of what they have in mind:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/18/interview-jim-walls-arresting-development/

Highlights:

Each Precinct game is going to stand alone, with the same main character, Maxwell Jones, but each precinct’s going to have its own cast. There could be some transferred over, but each time you’re going to meet new people. As each game comes out, it’ll expand this world, and you’ll see characters when you go back to your old precincts.

[At the start of the first game, Maxwell is] going to be a beat cop – a rookie, on foot. There’ll be four square blocks that are his beat, with a partner.

(I assume that as you take on missions you get promoted, get a car as seen in the video, take on greater responsibilities, etc.—Caliburn)

[The interface is] going to be point and click, with hot-buttons for things like getting to your weapons.

I think that’s one of the challenges – how do you build a mission driven, somewhat open world, but with locations you interact with in those old-school point-and-click ways? You will get missions you can choose to take, be demoted if you start failing, and stuff like that. We don’t want to make the game linear; we want to build consequences for your actions.

We’ll have for instance good cop/bad cop decisions, like a drug dealer on a corner who’ll offer to pay you a hundred bucks not to bug him for three days. Take that deal, and there’ll be repercussions.

Anyone interested should check out the full interview, especially the latter half. The interviewer Richard Cobbett asks good questions much like people have asked here, so it gives the team a chance to respond with their thoughts.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

I’m backing at the basic level for the game, but will double once they announce a boxed version.

to be honest, it’s almost all nostalgia for me. PQ1 was my favorite adventure as a kid.

Also, I don’t think it’s going to make it - and if it does, I’m afeared it’ll just have enough money to get a basic game done. Anyway, hope people support.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I wonder if this project can attract shooter fans because there’s more than nostalgia here that appeals to me. I’m always hankering for a quality police procedural game.

I tried out Telltale’s Law & Order Legacies a while ago and they did a pretty good job translating the style of the series into game mechanics but the writing was pretty shallow. SWAT 3, 4 and some of the early Rainbow Six games did a great job with the tactical side of the job but they’re action games.

My perfect police procedural game would combine the investigation and interrogation techniques used in the Law & Order Legacies along with the tactical action of the last two SWAT games. L.A. Noire attempted to do something like that but the result was pretty sloppy. Perhaps Precinct can get it right.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Lucien21 - 18 July 2013 03:25 AM

Yes it’s “original” in the same way Saw 7 was when it added 3D Tongue

I would be surprised if it was really had any open-world elements to it. LA Noire it ain’t. The video looks like you click respond and it auto drives you to the scene.

Just to be clear I’ve never said the game looks bad or will turn out to be rubbish, just that it is a safe idea to rip off or remake the same game they have already made 6 versions of.

I was making a hypothetical; I doubt this game will have open-world elements.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Venkman - 19 July 2013 08:34 AM

I was making a hypothetical; I doubt this game will have open-world elements.

I doubt many games on this kind of budget can feasibly have decent open-world elements.  LA Noire was the only real chance we had for an AAA Police Quest open-world game and it dropped the ball Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top