• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This game is set in the 20s. To me, after playing handheld games for many, many years this game is AMAZING. I have a stack of PC games from Half-Price books waiting to be played. CANT WAIT!

BUT, let’s finish this one I payed a big one dollar for first! Half-Price books has more of them, I might just pick a few up and ADD to my backlog!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the game is later that the 20’s. To me it’s the design of the cars. There may be a newspaper clipping somewhere that give the exact date, but I haven’t found it. It’s obviously pre-war, so I’m wrong about the 50’s.

Now to the problem at hand. I’ve been to Chez Alexandre both as Jaques and as Gus while meeting with Sonia. I’ve also returned to the Eaton’s boarding house as Gus and found the key to the safe in the closet. Can’t understand why I didn’t see that before. From here I tried to go to Dr Kaufman’s office, and the game crashed. Screen is black. Map is red, and the cursor just leaves “tails” rather than alowing for any movement. Only solution is to reload a prior game. But that doesn’t solve the problem. Anybody have this problem?

Edit: I should mention that this return to Dr Kaufman’s office is not the office we have seen before, but something like a maze where you have to open and close gates. I went there once before without a crash, but this is now the scene of the crash. I’m really enjoying this game, and I would hate to think my playing days are ended because of this.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Ok finally got a chance to play after being busy with other things. The face sketching puzzle is a good idea in theory, but the implementation has to be one of the worst puzzles I have seen in a game. The clues are so vague, and I can argue, even wrong in one case. I was stuck on this for a long time and could only go forward with a walkthrough. It’s frustrating how the bar tender in the hotel tells you it looks nothing like him, when the only difference between the sketch and the culprit is a difference in one feature only. I have reached the part where you start playing as Jacques Hellouin and so far, I am really struggling to keep interested in the game. The characters are so bland, and the conversation very monotone. I remember really loving Still Life when I played it around when it came out, but this is a much inferior game IMHO.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m at the start of the part where you play as Hellouin, but I’ll be falling behind schedule.
It’s a vacation week for the kids, so the missus and me took the week off as well, and we’ll be spending it at a holiday park. So minus the laptop until Friday night.
I’ll try to make up for lost time next weekend.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not sure what I should do. I’ve backtracked to saved game -3, and replayed everything, but the game still crashes when I try to go to the doctor’s office/maze. I’ve tried reloading saved games so I can go to the office from a different location, and it still crashes.

The only way I can think of continuing is if someone sends me a save game from after the “maze” puzzle is solved.

Otherwise, I’ll just go to YouTube and enjoy the game with you in absentia.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve finished the game.  Overall a very enjoyable game with a few ludicrous puzzles.  They seemed to shoehorn the puzzle logic into vague ideas and with a little more time spent on puzzle design and I think this could have been a true classic.

I felt the ending was a little abrupt and some of the conversation particularly towards the end was quite awkward.

I’ll try to comment along with the rest of you now and, Tim, I’ve kept my saves (though I’ve deleted the game) so I can send you my saves or reinstall and find the correct one but I certainly saved right after the maze (and didn’t delete the saves on uninstall).

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Tim, this file should be straight after the maze puzzle:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzzq51868otgqf5/save0013.sav?dl=0

I took it from “/Documents/Post_Mortem Saves”.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks very much. I’m going to try a few things first. Like going back to an pre-crash save. Or, trying to go to Kaufman’s office from another location. Also, since my game came from GoG, I’m not sure that the saved games files are actually on my computer. Regardless, even if I have to finish the game by watching a video, I will get through it so I can post some comments.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Mine’s the GoG version too.  I think the cloud saves are just as a backup to the local saves.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I get thru that puzzle OK, thank goodness. And I am playing the game off the origonal CDs!

I just love playing this game on Halloween - so creepy!

I hope everyone is having a very Happy Halloween!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

dumbeur - 31 October 2018 02:24 PM

Mine’s the GoG version too.  I think the cloud saves are just as a backup to the local saves.

I did get the file loaded. Of course I had to rename it from 013 to 017 in order for it to be in the correct sequence. Also, it’s your saved game rather than mine, so the inventory is a bit off. But, seeing as you were able to finish with the inventory you had, I should be in good shape.

However, this is not the Dr Kaufman’s office I remember. I’m assuming you found Dr Kaufman’s office at the end of the maze, and somehow you moved on from there to get to the location where your saved game starts. So I really don’t know where I am. I’ll have to look at a walkthrough or something in order to get my bearings.

Barring any further game crashes, I should be able to finish.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

No, my bad, I’ve accidentally given you one slightly further ahead.  This is directly after the maze:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymlguppx14icujx/save0010.sav?dl=0

My apologies, I was in a rush this morning and didn’t double check.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I hope I’ve not gotten ahead of myself. I did solve one of the puzzles in the room. (Strange. I could only read/enter one of the dates. But once I entered it, the other two became legible.) So the door opened and I found the crypt. Now for the did I screw up part. I noticed in your inventory there was a wax cylinder. I know who has a player. Do I need to visit her before I can do anything in the crypt? Also, I’ve yet to visit the men’s club. Also Hellouin is still in jail. I’m thinking I need to show LeBrun the photo I just took to prove Hellouin didn’t commit the murders.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

The puzzles within the crypt should be self-contained (though there is an item of inventory you’ll need for one of them).  I did listen to the wax cylinder which presumably was necessary for something to progress but I honestly don’t know what the point of it was.

I finished the game without getting Hellouin out of jail even though I showed LeBrun a bunch of evidence, so I suspect I failed in this task?

ETA:  It is possible to complete the latter task.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Why don’t we all meet in Dr. Kaufner’s Office after solving the maze puzzle. Explore his office completely also,

Take until next Thursday to get that accomplished.

As usual, comments on the game are much appreciated.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top