• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalegrizzlypants

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Barrow Hill: The Dark Path

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sir Beardalot - 03 October 2016 04:12 PM

Now they have released v1.03 looks like I have another reason to play through it again lol

Heh… I saw v1.03 and decided to give it another try. Started a new game of course and in the first 20 minutes I noticed 5 new details and changes since the preview version.  Music and ambient sounds are back too. Smile One thing which still didn’t work for me is Emma’s HOG game. I don’t get to see what’s inside the caravan.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Karlok - 03 October 2016 06:04 PM

Now they have released v1.03 looks like I have another reason to play through it again lol

Heh… I saw v1.03 and decided to give it another try. Started a new game of course and in the first 20 minutes I noticed 5 new details and changes since the preview version.  Music and ambient sounds are back too. Smile One thing which still didn’t work for me is Emma’s HOG game. I don’t get to see what’s inside the caravan.

Yeah, I was curious if it was ever meant to reward anything or if it was just added as a joke for fun. It obviously doesn’t need to be played to finish the game, but it would have been neat to have expanded on it a little more.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Question: Continued playing today, but something’s bothering me. There was a shopping cart (?) in the pond, which I removed. I hope it shouldn’t be in my inventory, cause it isn’t. What’s the point of removing it when there’s nothing else to click on in the pond?

Sir Beardalot - 03 October 2016 09:03 PM
Karlok - 03 October 2016 06:04 PM

Yeah, I was curious if it was ever meant to reward anything or if it was just added as a joke for fun. It obviously doesn’t need to be played to finish the game, but it would have been neat to have expanded on it a little more.

The message at the end did change though, which makes me think we are supposed to see into the caravan.

EDIT: I could have sworn I found two simcards yesterday, one in the tree hole, one in a shoe, and now I have only one.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Karlok - 04 October 2016 06:57 AM

Question: Continued playing today, but something’s bothering me. There was a shopping cart (?) in the pond, which I removed. I hope it shouldn’t be in my inventory, cause it isn’t. What’s the point of removing it when there’s nothing else to click on in the pond?

The pool does become an active hotspot, but you need a specific item first.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fantasysci5 - 04 October 2016 12:38 PM
Karlok - 04 October 2016 06:57 AM

The pool does become an active hotspot, but you need a specific item first.

If it’s the fishing rod then that isn’t necessarily true. At least it wasn’t for me. Another bug, I’m guessing.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

The game reacting the same way for me as Oscar describes above.
Yes, it’s probably one of the many old or new bugs, once again.
Have a question on this on the steam discussions. No answer yet, if it wasn’t bugrelated all the friendly people there wouuld already provided a solution, I guess.

If this isn’t solved I give up this game of bugs.

Edit: Solved. No bug this time, just one thing I should have done, I had not. Oh well, my fault.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

There’s an official walkthrough out now at http://shadowtorstudios.co.uk/thedarkpath/BarrowHill-TheDarkPath-Walkthrough.pdf For some reason the site isn’t working for me I keep getting a http 404 error not found. Seems a few others are getting the same error while some are able to access the site?! If anyone here is able to access it could someone please send me the pdf! I’ve already beat the game but would like to see if I missed anything.

edit: No need, a nice fella has posted it on Gameboomers. To anyone having a prob with the main site here is alternative access Smile http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcBb/BarrowHillDarkPathOfficial/BarrowHill2official.htm

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I just finished it. It was nice to have played a game again where you have to make many notes to solve it! The story and how you are led trough it were put together very well. Very good puzzles and a beautiful atmosphere. Nothing but praise about most of the game Smile.
What I did find distracting and a bit annoying were: you needed a specific tin can and a specific mug to solve some puzzles, while there were many others scattered over the area that were just as good, and the drawn Mia didn’t look at all like the filmed Mia. They really looked like two very different persons. A bit more effort in that area would have been nice.

Oh and Karlok, I also got lost all the time. And the map didn’t help Smile.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I enjoyed the game too, although not as much as you, tsa, and not as much as Barrow Hill 1, which I replayed first. I loved exploring, the puzzles were okay and the music was great. I liked the FMV parts, but why show us only the girls’ eyes on the mobile phone? Weird. I agree that the so-called “photos” didn’t do the characters justice. They didn’t serve any purpose that I can see and I wonder why any developer would choose to use both FMV and drawn characters. (Happened in Myst 5 too, Yeisha was also shown in FMV on a monitor.) Takes me right out of my nice immersion. Worse, Ollie looked and sounded like an 8-year-old, certainly not like the college boy he’s supposed to be. Hearing him whine on the phone made me cringe. Bad voiceacting on the part of Boakes, but Ollie’s lines were not convincing either. Both Matt Clarke and Jonathan Boakes are very good at creating atmosphere, but their writing and storylines are so-so. The whole idea of “we don’t know what happened ten years ago and there’s been a cover-up” was silly to begin with. We do know exactly what happened, Mia knows too. Her attempts to contact Ben have nothing to do with Baibin’s story.

How about the other posters in this thread? How did you like the game?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I liked Ollie’s voice, both the characters and the story in the game were very much B-movie material. I don’t really like “serious” horror so I much prefer silly, caricatured characters in these games than dull and realistic ones.

I definitely agree, it wasn’t as good as the original Barrow Hill.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I also think that TDP wasn’t as good as Curse of the Ancient Circle. Karlok sums up its problems quite well. The pictures of the girls on the phone were just weird: no one uses a phone in that way. The acting was just bad overall but I still enjoyed the puzzles a lot, and the roaming around and exploring.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Karlok and Tsa pretty much said everything I have to say about it. I probably just enjoyed it a little bit more than most due to the nostalgia of returning to Barrow Hill literally 10 yrs later. I just wish they had worked out all the bugs before releasing it. It would have been much more enjoyable not having to do the same parts over and over with every new version. Speaking of version, 1.05 is out now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top