• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

real sequels that really picked up where their predecessors ended ? 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

most sequels rather rely on the main protagonits reappearance, on sharing same universes, and not always have been keen on stories that are continuation or expanding upon the eariler work.

not to mention those which are rather spin-offs (like Harvey New Eyes) or Rip-offs (like whatever) than being real direct sequels, but anyways these do not interest me much as real sequels, those with the habits of being more memorable, and more fun, plus the great fun fact of enjoying playing them back to back.

the 1st that come to mind at this moment are Syberia and Myst/Riven and Black Mirror 2/3!
also PQ 1/2/3,  and even with the three years gaps here and there i still could consider them real sequels for many reasons… 

how many other adventures we had the pleasures of them being of this kind of series,  with real sequels.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Dreamfall to Dreamfall chapters.
BrokenSword series too considering past relationships and returning characters.
Anothercode series.
Phoenixwright.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

The Deponia series uses direct sequels.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but og course Dreamfall TLJ/Chapter and Deponia..

how about GK 1 & 2 this series of my least knowledge when it comes to Sierra’s..  not sure?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Tex!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 136

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

runaway 2 and 3
return to mysterious island

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

I’ll give you Runaway 2, but Ranaway 3 pretty much dropped the plot of the first 2 games and just focused on the characters from what I remember.
(And it was all the better for it, considering what a mess the second game’s plot became)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well, there’s the AGON series, which has inexplicably come to a premature end. At the end of each game there’s a clue unveiled which directly leads you to the next game’s location.

Now if Private Moon would only get their shit together and get on with making AGON 5…

Zork I-III and the Enchanter trilogy feature a clear progression in either the player character or the overarching story.

From Legend, the Spellcasting and Gateway series of games also feature continuation of plot.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Simon the Sorcerer 3D, of course.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav & Memoria.
If I remember correctly it was actually planned as a trilogy, though I haven’t heard anything about the third game in the series.

The Blackwell series also forms one continuous story.

Games that directly continue the story from the previous game can be great, but the big problem is that we can end up with situations like Dreamfall & Chapters, where Dreamfall ended on one big cliffhanger and we had to wait 800 years to get the second half of the story. So I actually think I prefer the opposite, sequels that just takes place in the same universe and/or with the same protagonists like the Broken Sword games. They also have the advantage that you don’t have to have played the previous games, in order to jump in on the latest in the series.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Monkey Island 2,3 and 4

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Leisure Suit Larry 2, 3 and 7

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 05 June 2016 04:54 PM

Dreamfall ended on one big cliffhanger and we had to wait 800 years to get the second half of the story. So I actually think I prefer the opposite,

or another 1000 yeas to release the last book, that shouldn’t be, i agree, but to look at differently, putting the time factor aside, i see it more preferable; look, see Terminator 2, or Star Wars Ep 1,2,3 of the late 90s release,  SK himself wrote the dark tower of on a 30 years long period, and all those franchises ,’ hate it or not’ had created the ever greatest fan base of ‘the’ franchises for the history of art and entertaining.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Post Mortem and Still Life??

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

The Blackwell series, for sure.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 05 June 2016 07:03 PM
Iznogood - 05 June 2016 04:54 PM

Dreamfall ended on one big cliffhanger and we had to wait 800 years to get the second half of the story. So I actually think I prefer the opposite,

or another 1000 yeas to release the last book, that shouldn’t be, i agree, but to look at differently, putting the time factor aside, i see it more preferable; look, see Terminator 2, or Star Wars Ep 1,2,3 of the late 90s release,  SK himself wrote the dark tower of on a 30 years long period, and all those franchises ,’ hate it or not’ had created the ever greatest fan base of ‘the’ franchises for the history of art and entertaining.

Sure, there are some advantages to this, like you can tell a larger story in 3 games than you can in one. But unless it is a large company with a very clear release schedule like Daedalic with the Deponia series, then there is a high risk that the sequels might never be made or will come so late that everybody has forgotten the story being continued in the sequels.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top