• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale new game The Wolf Among Us

Total Posts: 1081

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Characters motives,struggles as mundane as mundys.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

There’s clearly more to it then just your average every day struggles.

As a whole, I felt The Wolf Among us was good though. Some of the episodes lacked polish and I’m not sure why Telltale didn’t let us roam around to investigate. There were clearly moments where we could and should of, but perhaps they were finding struggling for time or something.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Upcoming projects in pipeline.
Treat it more like Fast food stuff, they need to keep the process going, same reason for
1hr30mins value meals Wink.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

This so called game is the latest proof of how video games become just video.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

No. You’re wrong. This has been brought up many times before and it’s getting old.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

It’s like having a shooter game without actual shooting (or even movement), or better yet a strategy game without any building, unit control, commands, etc, but with only story bits between missions left, without actual missions.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bogi - 22 July 2014 11:13 AM

It’s like having a shooter game without actual shooting (or even movement), or better yet a strategy game without any building, unit control, commands, etc, but with only story bits between missions left, without actual missions.

Prince of Persia with Platforming done by your sidekick, and she will regenerate you on the last spot.

Shooters with health regeneration.

RPGs with badass team members doing your wetwork.

Autopilot combat of Arkham games.

And all of them with Checkpoints + Press A for awesome are basically same thing.

(If you care to notice CoD even checkpoints are cutscenes too)

All of those skill demanding games at 60$ per piece, now 70$ for current gen.

TTG are fine for their price as i said value meals Smile

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I really can’t be arsed chasing my tail with this again, but I’ll agree there is a balance and I think Telltale haven’t quite got it yet. Hopefully, they’ll get it right next time.

Take the Wolf among us for example. Without spoilers, there’s a scene where you’re looking for clues for your next lead. The movement is limited and so are your options. I saw where I had to search, but the game wouldn’t let me do it. I had to wait till I spoke to a character and say the right thing before he’d show me. It would of been more fun I felt to let me find it and either make that character help me or getting help by convincing him.

Another example, there’s quite a few times in this game where Bigby has to work out his next move and what the clues he’s got means. It made no sense to me why we couldn’t be left putting these clues together to follow the lead ourselves. Instead, Bigby just does it on the spot.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 22 July 2014 11:33 AM

I really can’t be arsed chasing my tail with this again, but I’ll agree there is a balance and I think Telltale haven’t quite got it yet. Hopefully, they’ll get it right next time.

With new episode each month i am fine with no gameplay, they have to delay otherwise.

Yes some level of agency ain’t hard, but again why to bother with puzzles if they know its not their forte.

They are selling these for shit prices if you wait and go for sales promotion.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

nomadsoul - 22 July 2014 11:32 AM

Prince of Persia with Platforming done by your sidekick, and she will regenerate you on the last spot.

And all of them with Checkpoints + Press A for awesome are basically same thing.

No, I would only agree with the Prince of Persia example, others are more like a built in hint system in adventures, they are lacking gameplay only if it’s a player’s choice.

nomadsoul - 22 July 2014 11:39 AM

With new episode each month i am fine with no gameplay, they have to delay otherwise.

Yes some level of agency ain’t hard, but again why to bother with puzzles if they know its not their forte.

They are selling these for shit prices if you wait and go for sales promotion.

I don’t have a problem at all with TT mass producing and selling their “product”. My problem is calling them adventure games, and hurting the other creators by setting the standard that dumbs them down to imbecility so they can be bought and enjoyed by as wider market as possible.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bogi - 22 July 2014 11:41 AM

No, I would only agree with the Prince of Persia example, others are more like a built in hint system in adventures, they are lacking gameplay only if it’s a player’s choice.

If you define Gameplay what 7 yrs old can breeze through than yes.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

nomadsoul - 22 July 2014 11:45 AM

If you define Gameplay what 7 yrs old can breeze through than yes.

I agree with you, but at least it’s something.

What TT is doing is done generally throughout the gaming industry in the last 10-15 yrs. Instead of trying to educate and elevate (I won’t say stupid, but) uneducated masses, industry is dumbing everything down, so it can be consumable (but not enjoyed) by everyone.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I don’t have a problem at all with TT mass producing and selling their “product”. My problem is calling them adventure games, and hurting the other creators by setting the standard that dumbs them down to imbecility so they can be bought and enjoyed by as wider market as possible.

You see, I’d say what’s hurting creators are some of the illogical or just plain unfun puzzles they create themselves. Take the Whispered World for example. The game has a good art style and interesting story, but some of the puzzles are just plain bad or unfun - like the last big one. The same can be said about the night of the rabbit.

They’re both great games, but there are some moments where I just thought what were the devs thinking.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bogi - 22 July 2014 11:50 AM

I agree with you, but at least it’s something.

What TT is doing is done generally throughout the gaming industry in the last 10-15 yrs. Instead of trying to educate and elevate (I won’t say stupid, but) uneducated masses, industry is dumbing everything down, so it can be consumable (but not enjoyed) by everyone.

My point is that Something is not Rewarding, nor satisfying and can be
done with subconsciously without much active skills, so might just not give it
at the first place. Its an illusion with heavier price tag.
Basically same thing.

One of the reason i like to play games or AGs is Story. Writing, Dialogues,
Characters which are not cheeseball. Name other games/genres with better stories,
better written games. How many..???

So its not all gloomy picture with TTG. They have good animators and writers,
making digital novels, which are equivalent of Visualnovels of Japan i was use to.

They are not dumbing masses in story sense. There are worse games.
Asscreed , super hit franchise with same noob controls for 4+ years, with
story that is insult to intelligence is more damaging to industry.

I will play TTG against Asscreed anytime.

Atleast TTG is not destroying Iconic franchises like Thief and Hitman with
see through walls and nerfed gameplay.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Then will just have to agree to disagree, which is ok. If I’m looking for a good story, writing and developed characters I’ll search through abundance of works of non-interactive media, which are superb in every way to 99% games ever created in that department. That is why there’s no point, for me, making practically non-interactive “games”.

And yes, if they would call them Visualnovels, I wouldn’t say one word against them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top