• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

FlorusKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I think the game does a better job in narrative than the books. I always though it had about 4 books too many in it.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

That makes sense if you only care about the overall arch I guess, since some worlds don’t really move that along.
I’m not going to say it’s great literature - I read when it I was an adolescent and it’s probably poorly written since neither of them is a great writer, technically. That being said, I still remember it fondly, probably due to never rereading it since.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not progressed much in Death Gate, just travelled to the first world and explored a bit.

Some of these games just start with a lot of exposition. Gateway had the Computer archives to read, Companions of Xanth the “game” rules and this one starts with a 15-20 minutes dialogue talking just explaining the world. It was not bad because the voice acting was solid and the lore is pretty interesting but it does start rather slow.
Maybe it’s a result of all being adaptations of big book series and having to get the background all there.

As for the rest the graphical and audio leap is pretty big from Companions of Xanth at first glance, the magic system also looks like it could be good

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

wilco - 18 August 2015 02:44 PM

Undecided if I’ll play them because they are not adventures:
Star Control 3
Wheel of Time
Unreal 2

Not sure if anyone answered you regarding these, but I can say a bit about Star Control.

Star Control 1 was a pretty fun starship battle arcade. I really liked it as a child, but it’s just a simple arcade and you don’t need to know anything about it to play the other ones.

Star Control 2 is an amazing game. It’s not a pure adventure game, but a big chunk of the game is puzzle-based and dialog trees (and the dialogs are excellent and funny, and the story is great). There’s a freeware version called “The Ur-Quan Masters” (it’s an enhanced version of the original) at sc2.sourceforge.net. I highly recommend it. If you don’t like the arcade sections (though they’re pretty fun), you can put the arcade mode to “cyborg” which means the arcade sections are played for you, and then the game is a mix of adventure game and strategy game.

I remember being pretty disappointed with Star Control 3. It was an okay game, but Star Control 2 was my favorite game at one point in time, and the third game didn’t match the expectations I had.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sounds good, I never played a Star Control game before but definitely will give it a go when the time comes.

You probably already know but I think Stardock bought the rights and is doing a new one.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Picked up Death Gate again after a little break and made lots of progress. Went through the 2 first worlds. Game is pretty impressive so far, each world is large, lots of lore specific to each one and I met Zifnab! Very charismatic, feels like meeting an important character in adventure game history Smile
I would say that unless it falls apart in the last 2 worlds I will find it an importatnt omission of the Top 100 adventure games.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Cool thread! I started following this a few days ago, and just finished SC101. I’m gonna take a break to play something else for now, but would like to continue the Spellcasting series with 201, probably next week. I was able to download 101 from the Internet Archive that Karlok mentioned (as have others), but 201 seems not to be available for download. See this page: SC201 on the Archive

It looks like it is supposed to be available via “Stream Only” but I’m not seeing how to do that. There is no active “streaming” link. Any ideas?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I think by “streaming”, they mean playing it in the browser itself (the top part of the window). You can put that full-screen if you want, but I don’t think you can save your game that way…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

TimovieMan - 09 November 2015 03:05 PM

I think by “streaming”, they mean playing it in the browser itself (the top part of the window). You can put that full-screen if you want, but I don’t think you can save your game that way…

Oh, I see that option now. I mean, it was there before, but I didn’t realize the top part of the page was active. Thanks, Timo!  Grin

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

...so just to see how that “streaming” option works so I can play this next week, I clicked on the “click to begin” hotspot in the upper half of the screen.

Be sure to click on the thumbnails!

Then it changes to this, indicating the page is downloading files for the onscreen emulator.

Fianlly, after about 5 minutes, it changes to this and hangs for quite some time before acting like the game is going to start, which it never does.

I don’t know if there’s some setting on my system that is slowing down the streaming or what, but it’s definitely not playable online. Again, any suggestions?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It works for me… I’m surprised that it takes so long to download; the game’s data is only 3 Mb or so.

Also, note that it’s running DOSBox in javascript inside your browser. So you need a pretty decent computer, and definitely a browser with a good js engine (so Firefox or Chrome; possibly Edge; certainly not IE or safari).

(BTW, you can save your game and restore at a later point; it’s saved in your browser’s offline storage.)

Then again, if you’re going to be playing the game for free, you might as well download it from an abandonware site and save you all the hassle.

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Kurufinwe - 09 November 2015 05:32 PM

Also, note that it’s running DOSBox in javascript inside your browser. So you need a pretty decent computer, and definitely a browser with a good js engine (so Firefox or Chrome; possibly Edge; certainly not IE or safari).

Interesting. My system is pretty good…at least I haven’t had any issues running any of the latest adventure games, like Tesla Effect, Dead Synchronicity, Dreamfall Chapters, etc. My OS is Vista 64 (I know…most people hate it, but it works fine for me!), and I’m using a pretty high-zoot video card with 4 GB onboard video memory and a quad-core motherboard processor with poop loads of RAM.

I’m running the latest Firefox, so maybe I need to check a javascript setting? I’m also on cable with an average 25MB download speed, so that shouldn’t be the issue. Gotta be a system issue though, and those can be pretty hard to track down and tweak if, like me, you really don’t know what the heck you’re doing!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also seems to work fine here, I use Chrome, not sure what seems to be the problem Mike since I know nothing of it. Only tip I have is don’t forget to type naughty mode at the start Smile (and prepare to restore a lot)

In other news, I was not able to put down Death Gate for the past day so I’ve finished it, early review is that it’s an obligatory adventure for everyone. More thoughts tomorrow hopefully

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have The Lost Adventures of Legend. Eight games. I played all the text adventures in DOS on my win98 computer. But Death Gate is somehow unplayable. Weird. I’ll have to try it in DOS-box one day.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, Dosbox worked great for me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top