• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unlikeable game characters.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 20 October 2021 05:00 PM

I’m also not a fan of Elaine from Monkey Island at all, I think Gybrush could do better LOL

Grin

The Hot Take Award goes to Jdawg445!

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 20 October 2021 05:06 PM

I’m also not a fan of Elaine from Monkey Island at all, I think Gybrush could do better LOL

Grin

The Hot Take Award goes to Jdawg445!

LOL in her defense I’ve only played the first three games so she might change later, but she just comes across as the type of person that will never be satisfied and will always find a reason to nitpick everything to death

Total Posts: 2104

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I have always disliked Woodruff in Woodruff and the Schnabel. I don’t hate him or think he’s a douche but a very weak character that I care nothing about.

Oh, hey, c’mon, how could you dislike Woodruff, a kid in the body of a grown-up man who is single-handedly fighting a dictator in a hostile and racist world?

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 20 October 2021 05:22 PM

I have always disliked Woodruff in Woodruff and the Schnabel. I don’t hate him or think he’s a douche but a very weak character that I care nothing about.

Oh, hey, c’mon, how could you dislike Woodruff, a kid in the body of a grown-up man who is single-handedly fighting a dictator in a hostile and racist world?

Just found him and the world he inhabited while unusual very Bland. the whole game never really captured me and he was a big reason why, I just didn’t care for him or him trying to find his father, it seemed he did not really care, so I didnt care either. The whole thing fell apart for me

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 20 October 2021 05:26 PM

Just found him and the world he inhabited while unusual very Bland. the whole game never really captured me and he was a big reason why, I just didn’t care for him or him trying to find his father, it seemed he did not really care, so I didnt care either. The whole thing fell apart for me

Well, the game is played from a perspective of a 5-year-old or something kid who has to discover this crazy brutal world around him. His original goal was to avenge his “murdered teddy bear”! And then he had to experience many things for the first time - his first love, first job, first encounter with beurocracy, monetary system, social hierarchy, treachery, historical revisionism, not to mention forbidden arts (magic)... The game is just full of those themes. It’s not very story-driven, just like the rest of Coktel Vision’s games, but it’s probably their best effort, and where it lacks in story/character development, it offers plenty of socio-political references. I have yet to see a better adventure game that touches so many serious topics with a smile.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I really hated Dr. David Styles in Gray Matter. What a butt head period.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 20 October 2021 06:15 PM
Jdawg445 - 20 October 2021 05:26 PM

Well, the game is played from a perspective of a 5-year-old or something kid who has to discover this crazy brutal world around him. His original goal was to avenge his “murdered teddy bear”! And then he had to experience many things for the first time - his first love, first job, first encounter with beurocracy, monetary system, social hierarchy, treachery, historical revisionism, not to mention forbidden arts (magic)... The game is just full of those themes. It’s not very story-driven, just like the rest of Coktel Vision’s games, but it’s probably their best effort, and where it lacks in story/character development, it offers plenty of socio-political references. I have yet to see a better adventure game that touches so many serious topics with a smile.

We will just have to beg to differ, I realize he was just a small child but that made him less of an interesting character to me, and it was a get out of jail free card for the writers of the story, because he doesn’t have to be interesting bc he’s really just a small child. As far as the themes go, I got the themes but I thought they were over the top and too dramatic/silly aka eye rolling, like trying to kill a fly with a stick of dynamite. It’s by no means the worst Adventure game I’ve ever played but I just found it wholly forgettable

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

It’s not very story-driven, just like the rest of Coktel Vision’s games, but it’s probably their best effort

Not a chance. Goblins 1 and 2 blow Woodruff out of the water.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Luhr28 - 20 October 2021 08:14 PM

It’s not very story-driven, just like the rest of Coktel Vision’s games, but it’s probably their best effort

These two games were sole reason I even found out GOG exists back in the day. They were the only two games I owned there for a very long time. Goblins and Gobliins are absolute classic!

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 20 October 2021 08:00 PM

We will just have to beg to differ, I realize he was just a small child but that made him less of an interesting character to me, and it was a get out of jail free card for the writers of the story, because he doesn’t have to be interesting bc he’s really just a small child. As far as the themes go, I got the themes but I thought they were over the top and too dramatic/silly aka eye rolling, like trying to kill a fly with a stick of dynamite. It’s by no means the worst Adventure game I’ve ever played but I just found it wholly forgettable

I guess, but I disagree about “a get out of jail free card for the writers” - some of the best stories were written from the perspective of a child/fool/jester/rogue who confronts the harsh realities while making fun of them. Woodruff is great DESPITE it never goes over the top, it just makes you accept all those realities and… find a way around. He fakes the ID, he kicks the annoying tax collector, he goes against all the rules. Yes, I know that stealing/making fake identity is ok in adventure games, but here you fight against a completely absurdist totalitarian regime, and all this adds many layers to the gameplay. I completely disagree about “too dramatic/silly aka eye rolling”, it’s probably the least political political game. You just never think about politics, it’s your usual comic adventure, but with a twist. Muriel Tramis who wrote the game was awarded the highest French order of merit several years ago for a reason.

I was talking about story-driven games. My all-time favourite Coktel adventure is Goblins 3 - which is not great in the story department at all, but it’s nearly perfect in my “adventure fun list” rating. It is a great example of how varied adventure games could be.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

The most unlikable game character for me is the one that writes extensively in a journal/diary and then rips out the pages and leaves them in random places. I HATE that person.

My second most unlikable game character is the one that talks.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 20 October 2021 09:59 PM
Jdawg445 - 20 October 2021 08:00 PM

I guess, but I disagree about “a get out of jail free card for the writers” - some of the best stories were written from the perspective of a child/fool/jester/rogue who confronts the harsh realities while making fun of them. Woodruff is great DESPITE it never goes over the top, it just makes you accept all those realities and… find a way around. He fakes the ID, he kicks the annoying tax collector, he goes against all the rules. Yes, I know that stealing/making fake identity is ok in adventure games, but here you fight against a completely absurdist totalitarian regime, and all this adds many layers to the gameplay. I completely disagree about “too dramatic/silly aka eye rolling”, it’s probably the least political political game. You just never think about politics, it’s your usual comic adventure, but with a twist. Muriel Tramis who wrote the game was awarded the highest French order of merit several years ago for a reason.

I was talking about story-driven games. My all-time favourite Coktel adventure is Goblins 3 - which is not great in the story department at all, but it’s nearly perfect in my “adventure fun list” rating. It is a great example of how varied adventure games could be.

Once again I just disagree I thought the political themes were in your face, with a five-year-old outwitting adults. The whole thing of getting each elevator to work to climb another ladder rung in Society, was all too on the nose for me. I also didn’t care for the voice acting or the puzzles. Like I said I don’t hate it but just don’t love it like you.

I think a far better piece of media that deals with the same topics is Idiocracy written and directed by Mike Judge. Where a guy of barely average intelligence gets transported to the Future and now is one of the smartest people on the planet. It’s very tongue-in-cheek but knows when to be serious, and rides that very thin fine line between social commentary and comedy perfectly. But I feel like this game goes off the rails early and often. And it makes me roll my eyes

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

D - 20 October 2021 11:42 PM

The most unlikable game character for me is the one that writes extensively in a journal/diary and then rips out the pages and leaves them in random places. I HATE that person.

My second most unlikable game character is the one that talks.

i hope you dont mind people filling their pockets with junk

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 October 2021 11:22 AM

I think a far better piece of media that deals with the same topics is Idiocracy written and directed by Mike Judge. Where a guy of barely average intelligence gets transported to the Future and now is one of the smartest people on the planet. It’s very tongue-in-cheek but knows when to be serious, and rides that very thin fine line between social commentary and comedy perfectly. But I feel like this game goes off the rails early and often. And it makes me roll my eyes

Funny, I always thought of Idiocracy as the very definition of “in your face satire”. With a great premise it quickly turns into a very simple and tiresome farce. I think Futurama covered those themes much better.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 21 October 2021 03:17 PM
Jdawg445 - 21 October 2021 11:22 AM

Funny, I always thought of Idiocracy as the very definition of “in your face satire”. With a great premise it quickly turns into a very simple and tiresome farce. I think Futurama covered those themes much better.

We all got different taste

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top