• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale shutting down ??

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

You are inventing things. And why aren’t you including the context - Advie’s posts?

Firstly:

Probably because this is an adventure games forum for adventure game related discussion, and not the problems of the world?

Isn’t a complaint. A complaint would be “People shouldn’t talk about the world here”. All I did was explain to Advie why people here probably WOULDN’T be talking about wars, poverty and the like. Which he acknowledged btw, not that you seem to want to recognize that.

So I didn’t imply anything. I stated a fact. You invented both the “complaint” and the “imply”.

Implying that we should care about the world, directly contradicting #1

Where did I do that? At what point did I say “hey, care about the world!”. I said by Advie’s logic, we shouldn’t sympathize with the employees, because by his logic, we should all be more focussed on third world/the world problems like poverty, war and famine etc.

At no point was that “criticizing others” (well, apart from Advie’s weird logic of “You shouldn’t care about the employees when there is war and famine out there”). So that was simply saying his logic is off-kilter to the situation being discussed in the thread, about an adventure game company, on an adventure game forum.

Disproportionate - because this is news about adventure games, not black Africans with aids, which Advie suggests is a far more important issue than some of our friends losing their jobs. Again, nothing was “implied”, you’re making things up.

He also said we shouldn’t focus on the people who lost their jobs, to which I said, but some of us actually know and care about some of those people affected more than we care about the games they helped make, so some of us very much should and would focus on the people (Telltale people) side.

am i the only happy person for hearing this news!

when I read in the newspaper “former Telltale employee starves to death on freezing street corner” maybe I’ll shed a tear.

You and Advie clearly don’t give 2 fucks about Telltale or the people laid off. We get that. Can you perhaps leave the rest of us to offer a little sympathy, if we so choose, to whomever or whatever we feel fit for the situation?  Pan

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

markymint - 22 September 2018 10:07 PM

You are inventing things. And why aren’t you including the context - Advie’s posts?

Firstly:

Probably because this is an adventure games forum for adventure game related discussion, and not the problems of the world?

Isn’t a complaint. A complaint would be “People shouldn’t talk about the world here”. All I did was explain to Advie why people here probably WOULDN’T be talking about wars, poverty and the like. Which he acknowledged btw, not that you seem to want to recognize that.

So I didn’t imply anything. I stated a fact. You invented both the “complaint” and the “imply”.

Implying that we should care about the world, directly contradicting #1

Where did I do that? At what point did I say “hey, care about the world!”. I said by Advie’s logic, we shouldn’t sympathize with the employees, because by his logic, we should all be more focussed on third world/the world problems like poverty, war and famine etc.

At no point was that “criticizing others” (well, apart from Advie’s weird logic of “You shouldn’t care about the employees when there is war and famine out there”). So that was simply saying his logic is off-kilter to the situation being discussed in the thread, about an adventure game company, on an adventure game forum.

Disproportionate - because this is news about adventure games, not black Africans with aids, which Advie suggests is a far more important issue than some of our friends losing their jobs. Again, nothing was “implied”, you’re making things up.

He also said we shouldn’t focus on the people who lost their jobs, to which I said, but some of us actually know and care about some of those people affected more than we care about the games they helped make, so some of us very much should and would focus on the people (Telltale people) side.

am i the only happy person for hearing this news!

when I read in the newspaper “former Telltale employee starves to death on freezing street corner” maybe I’ll shed a tear.

You and Advie clearly don’t give 2 fucks about Telltale or the people laid off. We get that. Can you perhaps leave the rest of us to offer a little sympathy, if we so choose, to whomever or whatever we feel fit for the situation?  Pan

So I was with you right up until your last paragraph, which suggests you aren’t really interested in ‘explaining’ why people discuss things on forums, but actually to dictate what we can and cannot talk about.

Will I leave others to their sympathy? Of course. I always have done. Nothing I have posted contradicted that.

But you need to leave people to express their lack of sympathy. This isn’t a totalitarian USSR that Adventuregamers is running here.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Why can’t we have a single thread that doesn’t derail into petty bickering?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 23 September 2018 05:16 AM

because….............. Internet

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 23 September 2018 05:16 AM

I dont think theres been a more contentious adventure topic in the last decade+ than telltale. Bickering arguments were totally destined.

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

So I was with you right up until your last paragraph,

So you want to apologize for the blanket statement’s you made previously? Of course you don’t.

I don’t give a damn what people say about Telltale. But if someone says “Telltale employees are not as important as third world countries” or words to those effect you’re damn right I’ll call that out as being moronic on an adventure game forum. And calling something moronic isn’t the same as “dictating what should and shouldn’t be said”, jesus titty f***ing christ.

If you don’t like that, instead of not understanding and fathoming up some new argument, why not just ignore and move on? I’ve wasted too much time on you, so that’s that. Done.

Other guys, because no-one likes a hugbox. Adventure Game Studio community became a hugbox, for the sake of sanity and diversity of opinion - do NOT let your community fall victim to it.

Hugbox, an environment, usually on the internet, in which a group with similar interests gathers to discuss topics in what they intend to be a safe, comforting, and confrontation-free environment.

What they intend to be a “safe space” almost always turns into a circle-jerk of forced consensus and ends with every member repeatedly expressing the exact same opinion to each other, no matter the topic.

Since the community is founded on unconditional love and support no matter how much of a tool a person is, these communities tend to attract tools and rational and useful advice is usually a rarity.

Moderators of these groups are usually extremely militant and do not tolerate even the slightest dissenting opinion. Members of these groups are usually so hypersensitive that the moment a contrary opinion appears the entire community explodes in a total drama shitstorm.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hugbox

^ Adventure Game Studio community in a nutshell. Thankfully it doesn’t seem to be that bad here at adventuregamers.com ... but you know, I’m here testing the water. Seeing just how infested adventure gamers (and/or the entire adventure game community) is by SJW’s, circle jerking and the like.

That’s not to say hey, this place IS like this. But this is why you should really want some bickering here and there, otherwise you’re textbook hugbox. You only want one “safe” side of opinion. And then like AGS you’ll be a community of mostly tools, with interesting diverse opinionated outspoken members buggering off to better things.

Anyway yes, this is off-topic and I aplogize for that, but such is the nature when certain members want to take something that’s said and turn it into their own unrelated narrative, Luhr28.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Someone needs a hug.

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Nah, needs some weed.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

now i must be the devil laughing at the back end, but seriously markymint, my comment wasnt concerning you especially, there were 2-3 other than you who had spoken of this employment thing, but it only happens to come after your post.

and honestly i am ttg hater, and i have been kicked out these forums once and some of the reasons that drove me to that was my hate for them, so i am very biased when its concerning ttg, and i always said, i never forgave them for using the adventure game IPs at first and then giving up on them and the genre once they were on top.

anyways, cheers man.

ahh, i if you find some, pass it over, please   Wink

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The vast majority of telltale games are best called interactive movies. I did like them anyway and will miss them. I am playing Batman 2 for the third time which says it all.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1352

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

markymint - 23 September 2018 09:04 AM

... but you know, I’m here testing the water. Seeing just how infested adventure gamers (and/or the entire adventure game community) is by SJW’s, circle jerking and the like.

What? We’re being inspected by the mighty markymint?!?!?! Why did no-one tell us so we could have a spring clean and be on our best behaviour to see if we could try and come up to the standards of this world leading expert? Quick guys, change everything to the whims of this one random guy on the internet.

... But this is why you should really want some bickering here and there, otherwise you’re textbook hugbox.

With well thought out logic and highly researched cogent argument like that I can well see how you were admitted to your lofty position of judgment and appraisal of others. Oh sorry, I mean just your opinion of course.

Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Mikekelly - 23 September 2018 12:01 PM

The vast majority of telltale games are best called interactive movies. I did like them anyway and will miss them. I am playing Batman 2 for the third time which says it all.

This is very true. After they started to steer away from the mode traditional pointing and clicking, their games often felt like they would have worked better as animated movies / series.

It’s still a shame that they’ve keeled over, but after seeing their sales numbers and knowing about their previous issues, it does look like the writing has been on the wall for a good while now.

Total Posts: 725

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

tomimt - 23 September 2018 02:57 PM

This is very true. After they started to steer away from the mode traditional pointing and clicking, their games often felt like they would have worked better as animated movies / series.

It’s still a shame that they’ve keeled over, but after seeing their sales numbers and knowing about their previous issues, it does look like the writing has been on the wall for a good while now.

Despite not being my cup-of-tea, I can certainly understand why their latest games had appeal to the masses. Which was a good thing for the genre, if people fell in love with those games and use that as a pathway to get into what the genre really has the offer, I would consider that great. Sadly, that seems to be no more.

Let’s see what rises out of the ashes. They’ve certainly proved there’s an appetite for these games, with their earliest games being their biggest successes. A great studio like Campo Santo is proving that with evolution in this gameplay you can make amazing games. Might not be an adventure game as to how we’d view it, but still great games that are like an interactive story, but with more freedom.

I still look forward to what the genre is going to keep bringing, there’s more adventure games then ever in many different sub-genres. This is awesome, even if it’s not your gig, there’s bound to be something you do like at one point.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

CaliMonk - 23 September 2018 03:19 PM
tomimt - 23 September 2018 02:57 PM

Despite not being my cup-of-tea, I can certainly understand why their latest games had appeal to the masses. Which was a good thing for the genre, if people fell in love with those games and use that as a pathway to get into what the genre really has the offer, I would consider that great. Sadly, that seems to be no more.

Let’s see what rises out of the ashes. They’ve certainly proved there’s an appetite for these games, with their earliest games being their biggest successes. A great studio like Campo Santo is proving that with evolution in this gameplay you can make amazing games. Might not be an adventure game as to how we’d view it, but still great games that are like an interactive story, but with more freedom.

I still look forward to what the genre is going to keep bringing, there’s more adventure games then ever in many different sub-genres. This is awesome, even if it’s not your gig, there’s bound to be something you do like at one point.

Barely interactive movies are not in the adventure game genre.  Maybe the casual genre.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Ahenobarbus - 22 September 2018 06:25 PM

This graphic tells quite a lot…

I didn’t care for the gameplay in Telltale’s games after they gave up on “classic” style adventures like Sam & Max.
But I thought most other people liked it.
Maybe not.
That graphic makes it look like people got tired of it.
The 2nd Season of TWD didn’t do even half as well as Season One.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top